yconic - Dropping a gr 12 course... bad move?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Dropping a gr 12 course... bad move?

A photo of nadia93 nadia93
Hey! So I've applied to the programs listed below and they all require only ENG 4U. However, I am currently taking 8 courses including bio and chem even though I don't need them.. I just like it. My school's non-semestered so I'm taking all 8 at once and I obviously have no spares.. lately I've been questioning my sanity and why I decided to do it this way. I am doing really poorly in chem and I'm thinking of dropping it to save me from unnecessary stress. My question is, will this hurt my chances? Do universities see a dropped course? Do you think I need chemistry? Will I regret it? Also, any general advice regarding this topic is much appreciated :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
24 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Ahhhh, I know where you're coming from.
I'm also attending a linear school, so I have 8 classes as well, but 2 spares because I took a look of grade 12 classes last year as well as over the summer.
I've also taken all 6 science 11 and 12 courses, so I definitely know the pain you're going through.
Chem 12 is probably the hardest for me too, I'm studying it as I type right now. :P

As for you, if your programs only require Eng, and then your next 5 highest subjects, drop it.
Universities might see it, but they won't take it into consideration when they calculate your average, it's only your 6 core subjects.
If you stay in chem and it drops your average a lot, that might affect your chances for scholarships (assuming you applied for any) b/c scholarships look at your overall average, not just your top 6.

You won't regret it, trust me. You don't even need it. I regret taking it, but sadly, I need it.
:(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cyynthiia wrote
Ahhhh, I know where you're coming from.
I'm also attending a linear school, so I have 8 classes as well, but 2 spares because I took a look of grade 12 classes last year as well as over the summer.
I've also taken all 6 science 11 and 12 courses, so I definitely know the pain you're going through.
Chem 12 is probably the hardest for me too, I'm studying it as I type right now. :P

As for you, if your programs only require Eng, and then your next 5 highest subjects, drop it.
Universities might see it, but they won't take it into consideration when they calculate your average, it's only your 6 core subjects.
If you stay in chem and it drops your average a lot, that might affect your chances for scholarships (assuming you applied for any) b/c scholarships look at your overall average, not just your top 6.

You won't regret it, trust me. You don't even need it. I regret taking it, but sadly, I need it.

thank you so much! :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of NoSaneMan NoSaneMan
I've just dropped my chemistry. I got conditional acceptance to the university of Calgary and i don't need chemistry for what i want to do. I recommend you sitting down with a counselor and your parents, make sure you have enough credits and talk about options. Is chem really bringing your mark down that much or would it be best to have something else just in case you do bad in another course. Its always good to consider the fact that you might change your mind too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@NoSaneMan wrote
I've just dropped my chemistry. I got conditional acceptance to the university of Calgary and i don't need chemistry for what i want to do. I recommend you sitting down with a counselor and your parents, make sure you have enough credits and talk about options. Is chem really bringing your mark down that much or would it be best to have something else just in case you do bad in another course. Its always good to consider the fact that you might change your mind too.

thanks for your reply! thankfully, i am well over the credit requirements! in ontario, it's recommended for grade 12s to take 6 courses because that's all universities require, but i am taking 8 just because i felt like it... as i mentioned before, i'm really feeling the stress that comes along wanting to overachieve lol i made an appointment with my guidance counselor for tomorrow so hopefully it all goes as planned :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ashleybrough92 ashleybrough92
well any school that u applied to or have got accepted to can see your courses at all times so yes if u drop a class they will be able to see but if u for sure do not need them then drop them I know wht its like to be going crazy especially with school so my best of luck
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of StudentLeader StudentLeader
calculus??
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia

@StudentLeader wrote
calculus??

Depends what you're applying to.
If you don't need it, drop it.
I have no clue what's happening in calculus right now.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kysecord kysecord
It depends on your high school as to whether or not the universities can see a dropped course. I would suggest you ask a guidance counselor about that. As to actually dropping the chemistry, I think its a good idea. It is not a required course and is only bringing your average down, which universities DO look at.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of missylynn missylynn
I would talk to your guidance councellor's and wage out if the class holds any value to your future.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DAW93 DAW93
Hey I noticed you've applied for archaeology. I did the same and I've kept bio and chem even though they aren't prerequisites. I think it would be handy to have them down the road just because archaeology can be such a multi-disciplinary field.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hayleyrobateau hayleyrobateau
I ended up dropping one of my courses this year for a spare, because you technically only need 6 courses in grade 12 if you haven't taken a spare beforehand. I dropped courses that I didn't need, and took the ones that I knew I could get a high mark in, so I could bring up my average. If you think a spare will reduce your workload and in turn increase your marks, it's probably a good idea!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of elmadany elmadany
It's not going to affect it, because they only care about the required courses needs for that program... goodluck though :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of samuelrodgers samuelrodgers
As long as it doesn't effect anything do it! Spend more time with people if you are going to be moving away from home. Pick up more shifts, or just use it to get homework done and free up your nights.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of samuelrodgers samuelrodgers
As long as it doesn't effect anything do it! Spend more time with people if you are going to be moving away from home. Pick up more shifts, or just use it to get homework done and free up your nights.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of uoftlover uoftlover
If your academic average is at stake, DROP THE COURSE LIKE A HOT POTATOE!
There is no point taking an added course if you're going to hate it, and if it will bring your average down!
Yes, some universities will pry and find out that you DID drop something, but they won't take this into account when calculating your average! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of stephen27 stephen27
One dropped course probably won't make any difference at all, especially if it has nothing to do with the program you're planning on entering.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of gabid6 gabid6
At the beginning of this school year I had the same problem. I didn't drop Chemistry however, but History. Looking back on it now, I do regret it, simply because I would've enjoyed learning all the things the course had to offer.

But yes, Grade 12 is really busy. Handling an 8 class course load is super tough, and with all the university/ scholarship applications it gets a little hectic. If you really feel that Chemistry would only bring you down, you probably should drop it. If you enjoy it though, try to keep it up :)

You don't need to worry about University's being able to see the course you dropped, I don't think many of them go into such great detail.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nahal Nahal
I would suggest dropping it just because when applying universities usually only require one grade 12 science and if you are keeping biology then you are good to go. Regarding if the school will see if you dropped a course, I don't know. But they will see your GPA and if Chemistry is bringing you down then it's time you said goodbye.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AshleyLynne AshleyLynne
If you dont need it for what you applied to and its going to bring down your average definitly drop it and try to get an easier university course second semester to bring your average up :bounce: This will make you look better to the university and definitly relieve some stress :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 2011Tornado 2011Tornado
Hey there!

As people mentioned previously, yes, universities may see it but they will not take it into consideration unless it is part of your program and it is a prerequisite. Usually universities take your prerequisites and then your next best U or M courses. Most of the time 6 courses are used to calculate your average.

I would recommend really thinking about dropping it because if you decide to change your study and chemistry is a prerequisite, you will have to take Adult Highschool to get that credit. If you know you're going to be staying in this career path, sit down with your parents and guidance counsellor. They can be really helpful.

Good luck! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hey, I am in the same situation. I did all 3 sciences and the 2 maths and I have no spares whatsoever.
I do want to take a different class then the ones I already am taking but it's not too bad. It really depends on how you can handle this.

Would you need that spare to study? Or to slack off?

I don't have any spares because of all the classes I want to take but also because I would not probably study or do something useful in that time.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Kmatties Kmatties
i do not think it is bad to drop a course.
you can always do the course again if you need it.
if you can figure out what you want to do in the future if could help your choice of what courses you need.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cjengel cjengel
I don't know about your requirements for your university but when I was in grade 11 I dropped chemistry. I then had a change of heart about what I wanted to do in university, and suprise suprise, the program required Chem 30. So I scrambled to get into Chem :/ so you have to be absolutely certain you don't need it; cause you generally need at least two sciences to keep doors open. hope that helped! hang in there!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AimForTheStars AimForTheStars
My school has semesters and in first semester I started off with 4 courses, switched one of them and ended up dropping it anyway and I still got my acceptance letters.We were told at my school they can see if you dropped a course after you get your midterm report card but if you don't need the course I don't think it will affect your chances.
Was this helpful? Yes 0