yconic - Dropping classes... bad idea?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Dropping classes... bad idea?

A photo of CrystalRobinson CrystalRobinson
I would like to register for 6 courses in my first year.... then if it seems like the load will be to much, drop the one i like the least... is this a good idea?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
13 replies

A photo of DreamingGoddess DreamingGoddess
6 courses in your first year is a bit ambitious. I would personally suggest starting with 5 and then doing summer courses instead if you want to get ahead.

Your first year is a huge transition, whether you move away from home or not. Take this year as an oppertunity to discover your campus, make new friends and try out new clubs/activities instead. In your second year and above then I would suggest trying to add 6 courses.

I've done 6 courses for two semesters- winter semester of 3rd year and fall semester of 4th year. The intensity depends more on the amount of reading, research and assignments you have to do than anything. Don't be afraid to take summer courses, sometimes they are more fun (and easier because they fly by) than other semester courses. Enjoy your time, and best of luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MarieAlyssa MarieAlyssa
It all depends on the work load of the courses you're taking. But I suggest to spread it all out. I've tried having a full course load and it was hard for me to balance everything considering I had a lot of readings for each course.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kanzai kanzai
I would personally suggest taking only 5 courses. :bom:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of taym taym
No, I do not think it is something terrible to do. If you can't handle the classes, it's better to drop one before you get too stressed and end up not doing well in your courses because of stress or other reasons.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of anberlin1990 anberlin1990
It's not a bad idea at all, most schools have a period of time where you can drop out of a course with out getting penalized for it. This usually occurs after you've had the classes
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of stukuntz stukuntz
I personally think this is a smart idea. Make sure that you are sufficiently interested in all six courses though! That way, if you find the course load to manageable, you'll be ahead!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of halinawilliams halinawilliams
I would start out with the ambition to have fun first year and test out the waters with interesting courses. 6 courses is totally do-able but not something I would suggest for first year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JensenHuang JensenHuang

@halinawilliams wrote
I would start out with the ambition to have fun first year and test out the waters with interesting courses. 6 courses is totally do-able but not something I would suggest for first year.

gosh what a horrible idea...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of WessK WessK
That's a great idea. There is no penalty for dropping classes if you do it before a certain date, and it will be a good way for you to explore several courses and see which appeal to you. Just remember that many Universities will require you to obtain special permission before taking more than 5 courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kseguin kseguin
it is probably one of the worst things you can do....I am taking 6 courses right now and it was one of the worst decisions I have ever made...if you are up for having ZERO life and not getting done...then yes having 6 classes is perfect....if you want a bit of a life stick to 6
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AimForTheStars AimForTheStars
Ya that's a good idea:)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
Take 7 for insurance.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I've taken 6 courses at once before. It was hell. Granted, all my courses were unrelated and therefore pulled my mind in 6 different directions.
Unfortunately, by the time the workload sets in, it may be too late to drop the course. This is what I have found with classes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0