yconic - Early Acceptance :)
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Early Acceptance :)

A photo of raymondkhanano77 raymondkhanano77
So, this is my first post on the forum, I might as well provide some personal information about myself. Hey, my name is Raymond. I currently attend Erindale Secondary School and I'm in grade 12. Here is where I applied. Oh, and I'm aware that I don't apply for my major until the end of first year. I just left those in there to show where I'm interested in going.:

Choice 1: McMaster - Life Sciences I (Major in Life Science)
Choice 2: University of Waterloo - Life Sciences (Biomedical Regular) - ACCEPTED :)
Choice 3: UofT Mississauga - Life Sciences (Major in Biology for Health Scienes)
Choice 4: UOttawa - Biomedical Sciences

Possible Fifth Choice: UWO - Bio and Medical Science - Med. Sci. I might apply during the break. I chose not to apply now because I don't know how my financial status will be able to support me there.

So, I got accepted to Waterloo as of Friday, but I was wondering with my grade 11 marks and most up to date grade 12 marks, do I have a good chance at getting into Life Sci at Mac? (High 80's)

Grade 11:
Functions - 88
Music Inst. - 87
English - 88
Anthro/Soc/Psych - 91
Biology - 91
Physics - 82
Chemistry - 85
Comm. Tech - 92
Top 6: 89.5

Grade 12 (Current Date)
Adv. Functions - ~88
Chemistry - ~92
Music Inst. - ~91
English. - ~85
Avg: Approx 89

Do I have a good chance of getting into Mac Life Sci if I keep up my work habits?
I'm not considering Health Sci, even if I can get 90+, because the odds of getting in are like getting in Medical School (160/3000)... It's not worth it. Even though it is a nice program, and from what I've heard, easy and one way ticket to med school... :!:

Was this helpful? Yes 0
53 replies

A photo of willeh willeh
Congrats! I would love to get an offer this early, but I think I'll have to wait until at least March to hear anything.:bounce:

Also, how is the life science program at Waterloo compared to other Ontario universities like U of T or Queens? I was thinking of applying to Waterloo at the beginning, but since it's mostly known for its engineering and math programs, I ended up applying to other places.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cmkc109 cmkc109
My avg is also around 89-90, don't know if i can get into mcmaster life sci..
I want an early acceptance that early too..congratz. maybe i should apply to that too
but isnt waterloo is famous for engineering but not life .sci?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of raymondkhanano77 raymondkhanano77

@cmkc109 wrote
My avg is also around 89-90, don't know if i can get into mcmaster life sci..
I want an early acceptance that early too..congratz. maybe i should apply to that too
but isnt waterloo is famous for engineering but not life .sci?

You're right, Waterloo is known for its Math/Eng programs, but it's Life Science program (especially Biomed) offers a very flexible 4 year path that allows students to experiment with a lot of different electives, for an optimal path to any graduate school. With choices in microbiology, anatomy, physiology, organic chemistry labs, molecular biology and so many more upper year courses it seems like a good pre-med program (what I intend to go there for). Also, competition probably won't be as high (as UofT for example), so it might be easier to obtain a higher GPA. Considering that Canadian Med Schools don't really take a high preference over where you come from doing your undergrad, everyone pretty much has the same chance (from what I've heard)granted you have high marks and a good MCAT. In addition, my Chemistry teacher went to Waterloo for Biology and Chemistry several years ago. Now, that he's been a graduate for over 15 years or so, they've added much more to their life sci buildings, and upgraded technology too. It's a great school overall :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of ninetyfour ninetyfour
Anyone know if acceptances for Engineering programs are sent out this early? :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of janomurali janomurali
Ottawa also sends out early acceptance at this time. I got my offer on Sat for health sciences :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of avp avp
Hey Raymond!
I also got accepted to Waterloo 2 weeks back!
I actually want to go to UWO biomed...buh if not then ima go to waterloo as well for biomed... :D Nice to see some1else who got accepted there as well :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Inception613 Inception613
Got accepted to uOttawa Biomed, Biochem and Carleton's Biochem
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of PiggyFlavoredPocky PiggyFlavoredPocky
I got accepted to York. :bigsmurf:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of albud289 albud289
I received an offer of admission this Monday at around 10:20 pm. It's from University of Ottawa.

My program is Baccalaureate in Applied Science, Mechanical Engineering, and in Science, Computing Technology/Co-operative Education.

It came with a renewable scholarship of $3000/year and guaranteed housing if I complete the application process.

My overall grade 11 final average was like 87, same with my grade 12 semester 1 midterm. I have 90 average right now though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Mas40 Mas40

@janomurali wrote
Ottawa also sends out early acceptance at this time. I got my offer on Sat for health sciences :)

hey!
congrats!:)

im waiting for acceptance from that program as well. What was your grade 11 average, and when did you apply?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of janomurali janomurali

@Mas40 wrote

@janomurali wrote

hey!
congrats!:)

im waiting for acceptance from that program as well. What was your grade 11 average, and when did you apply?

hey sorry for the late response. i applied on dec 9th and got the acceptance on the 17th. my gr 11 avg was 90
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DntMessWitRohan DntMessWitRohan
Hehe! Nice to see some uOttawa biomed folks in here! :colors:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jaydee404 jaydee404
[size=4]Agreed!

I'm very curious as to whether any of you people are going to be doing the Extended French or French Immersion streams at U of Ottawa. I'll be doing the extended French stream of biomedicine this September. :B[/size]
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DntMessWitRohan DntMessWitRohan

@jaydee404 wrote
[size=4]Agreed!

I'm very curious as to whether any of you people are going to be doing the Extended French or French Immersion streams at U of Ottawa. I'll be doing the extended French stream of biomedicine this September. :B[/size]

No, not me. I'll pass...... :alien:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Katarina101 Katarina101
i gpt early acceptance to my two number one choices. York and Ryerson for social work, now I'm having trouble picking one. I like York's better, even though people say that school is bad.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Joshki Joshki
Accepted to mac for business ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Katraa Katraa
University of Calgary for Commerce!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of honourstudent101 honourstudent101
Ryerson for International Economics and Finance :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of maddawg maddawg
Dalhousie back in October for Engineering and Western for Engineering yesterday:)
Still waiting for Queens which is #1 choice
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@maddawg wrote
Dalhousie back in October for Engineering and Western for Engineering yesterday:)
Still waiting for Queens which is #1 choice

Western sent out their Engineering acceptances? Damn, are you out of province or?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Hunter14 Hunter14
I've been accepted to 2/3 of my choices already!

Carleton- Journalism
Ryerson- English

I'm still waiting to hear from Western for English though :(

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Academentia Academentia
Queen's engineering last week. Out of province. 93% average, strong ECs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Western Engineering just now :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0