yconic - Early admission~ Help
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Early admission~ Help

A photo of CoralVenus CoralVenus
Will I be considered for early admission if I only have 5 grade 11 courses? Do I have to have six?

Any help would be appreciated!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Early conditional offers are based on many different factors, but the number of courses you've taken at a certain grade level isn't one of them, as far as I know.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011
If the other three courses are from grade 12, they look at that too for early admission. The number of 3rd year courses being grade 11 courses probably isn't something universities really care about for early admission.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
I'm also seeking to get early admission to some of the programs that are more of a "back-up," just so I can rest easy afterwards. Does anyone known if they'll look at all my grade 11 marks? I'm specifically worried about 3U functions because my final mark was less than ideal for early admission. I slacked like crazy because I took advanced functions the semester after, so will that be considered in place? Or both courses? What are universities looking for in early admission? Do they want grade 11 averages that are very well above the cutoff?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@jelly wrote
I'm also seeking to get early admission to some of the programs that are more of a "back-up," just so I can rest easy afterwards. Does anyone known if they'll look at all my grade 11 marks? I'm specifically worried about 3U functions because my final mark was less than ideal for early admission. I slacked like crazy because I took advanced functions the semester after, so will that be considered in place? Or both courses? What are universities looking for in early admission? Do they want grade 11 averages that are very well above the cutoff?

Since universities are sent all grade 11 marks, they will look at all of them (including the ones that are not U/M type). Most universities will probably not be anal about one poor grade when doing early admission. If your other ones are very competitive, they may consider you for early admission. For early admission, I doubt that it's simply the grade 11 level marks that they care about, if you have any grade 12 marks in there they will consider them too. If you did considerably better in MHF4U than MCR3U, they will surely take note of that. I don't exactly know what it is that universities consider for early acceptances, but for many, I think they send early admissions to a certain percentage of competitive applicants. Good luck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of samwise575 samwise575
For early acceptance to universities in Ontario they look at the program you are going into and then see what your grade 11 marks in those courses are. As well as english for every program. You'll need a 90+ to get into any of the "top tier" universities with an early acceptance.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
Thanks for the answers. I'm not really planning to apply to any "top tier" universities for early acceptance, but will apply to them for regular acceptance. I'm sitting with a high-80 grade 11 average right now, so I'm not exactly sure if its good enough for early acceptance for programs with say, 80ish cutoffs. My MHF4U mark is about 10% higher than my MCR3U.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@jelly wrote
Thanks for the answers. I'm not really planning to apply to any "top tier" universities for early acceptance, but will apply to them for regular acceptance. I'm sitting with a high-80 grade 11 average right now, so I'm not exactly sure if its good enough for early acceptance for programs with say, 80ish cutoffs. My MHF4U mark is about 10% higher than my MCR3U.

In the end, there is no real difference between early admission and admission late in May. Your marks may be good enough for early acceptance to a few programs, but don't stress if you don't get admitted until the last possible week. Some programs, like Rotman Commerce at UTSG did not accept anyone early this year, IIRC. I asked all my schoolmates who applied, they said they didn't. And the fact that your MHF4U mark is 10% higher than your MCR3U mark is good, considering it's only the MHF4U that will count in your top 6.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
Yeah I guess it shouldn't matter because I will most likely receive acceptance to my "backup" programs later for sure anyways... at least I'd like to think so. It's always nice to have it early though, just feels good. I really found no reason to try and excel at MCR3U because it was already confirmed that I would be taking MHF4U the following semester so I just grasped the concept of the content in the course. I'm glad I got MHF4U out of the way though, such an essential course and I think I did reasonably well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@jelly wrote
Yeah I guess it shouldn't matter because I will most likely receive acceptance to my "backup" programs later for sure anyways... at least I'd like to think so. It's always nice to have it early though, just feels good. I really found no reason to try and excel at MCR3U because it was already confirmed that I would be taking MHF4U the following semester so I just grasped the concept of the content in the course. I'm glad I got MHF4U out of the way though, such an essential course and I think I did reasonably well.

Early acceptance does give you a peace of mind. But if you get one, it's also important not to accept your offer as soon as you get it. I'd sit and wait for all the other ones too. Congratulations on getting MHF4U out of the way :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0