yconic - Early admissions raises cut-offs?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Early admissions raises cut-offs?

A photo of ArcSaint ArcSaint
Hey guys just a really quick question. When a university, for example UTM, begins to accept people with high averages early, does that raise (or set) the cut-off average for any of the late acceptances? Asking this because I kinda ended off with a measly 78% first semester (though it will DEFINITELY go to 81+ this semester :D). If your wondering, I applied to UTM concurrent Chemistry, but I don't think I'll make it with these low marks, so I'm hoping I get into the alternate offer of Chemical and Physical Sciences, and that is why I'm asking this question.

Thanks for any replies! :alien:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
1 replies

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
I'm not sure you understand what a cut-off is. It is simply the lowest accepted average, when all is said and done. Universities don't determine this; the academic strength of the pool of candidates does. What the university determines is how many people it is going to give an offer of enrollment to. If that number is 1000, then, for the most part, the people with the 1000 highest averages will be accepted. If that number is the same as it has been in previous years, then the university, knowing the cut-offs from previous years, will send out early acceptances to applicants who have averages exceeding previous years' cut-offs + some margin of safety. e.g. if the cut-off in previous years has been 87% +/- 0.5%, then the university will likely send out early acceptances to people who have averages exceeding 90%, knowing that it is highly unlikely that this year's cut-off will be any higher than that.

So, no, early acceptances don't increase the cut-off average of any of the later acceptances. That doesn't make any sense.
Was this helpful? Yes 0