yconic - Easy electives in social sciences, humanities and arts
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Easy electives in social sciences, humanities and arts

A photo of dijcan dijcan
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has heard of some easy electives one can take in university, from their friends or relatives. As my porogram, has many electives intially and becomes more focused in upper years, so I want to start deciding courses that may be interesting and easy electives?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
14 replies

A photo of Zion Zion
Depends on the school. Generally, any department that ends in "Studies" has lots of bird courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq
Don't live you're life taking the easy road, you're going to be paying thousands of dollars taking useless courses

But.. Most of the 'Introduction to' courses are pretty simple I hear anywhere
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of NumberOne NumberOne
Do something that seems interesting to you. The things I like I often do well in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Luna Luna
If you're interested in space, most universities have an introductory astronomy course meant for non-physics students. At Queen's, there's a "Solar System" course that's really cool and meant to be an elective for non-science students. Just make sure your electives are something that will interest you, not necessarily "bird courses". And it should really be something that is complimentary to your major. If you like the subject matter, then you'll do just fine, no matter how challenging the course!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Film Studies.
You get to watch movies and talk about them. Easy A.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of x0bailey0x x0bailey0x
I like philosophy, sociology, film studies, anything like that. Although I don't know if you'd categorize this as "easy" but hey, everyone should love a challenge.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Sociology, pop music, pop culture, intro psych.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Introductory Linguistics is really interesting and pretty easy. Upper level gets harder, though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of igill igill
I am in first year and for the first semester I took sociology. It was really easy but as long as you do the work.
When I started picking courses, I too wanted to pick the easiest ones but one thing I realized was that the easiest ones can be pretty boring and you still have to put work into that class.
I study at Guelph, and I have heard that courses like sociology, women studies, pop and culture, family/relationships cultures are pretty easy :) But they have a lot of reading from the text too, so be prepared for that.
Each sociology chapter I read was 20 pages !

Anyway good luck for next year!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kseida kseida
If you're applying to UBC, a lot of the Cultural Studies classes or Linguistic Anthropology classes are pretty easy :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of shirin9671111 shirin9671111
Anything you are good at will be an easy course for you, pick courses you enjoy learning about and they'll seem like bird courses.

If you don't like history but take the course because someone said it was easy, chances are you will end up not doing the work, making you fall behind and probably end up not doing so well. Whatever you love doing will be a bird course for you, if you put your time into it :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of PascalisZois PascalisZois
Astronomy; A+, with the best rated lecturer in Ontario though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of leahquin leahquin
Try courses typically found outside you faculty like Bio for non-science students or Drawing/Studio Art for non-Fine Arts students. You may find that you will like the variety and they will all be very introductory courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kysecord kysecord
If your school has an intro to computer science course I highly recommend you take it! It is quite easy as it is all about teaching how to use Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access.
Was this helpful? Yes 0