yconic - ECE undergrad - graduate options?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

ECE undergrad - graduate options?

A photo of allenh98 allenh98
What kind of graduate/professional paths can a student from U of T ECE undergrad go for? Specifically, how viable and reasonable is it to pursue a Law or MBA degree from a prestigious US school i.e. Harvard Yale etc with marks from U of T's electrical engineering? The school sets its lower year averages to around a 2.7 (c+) and it only gets a bit better in the upper years. What kind of quantitative credentials are suggested in order to be competitive at a top5 US Law/Business program?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
1 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@allenh98 wrote
What kind of graduate/professional paths can a student from U of T ECE undergrad go for? Specifically, how viable and reasonable is it to pursue a Law or MBA degree from a prestigious US school i.e. Harvard Yale etc with marks from U of T's electrical engineering? The school sets its lower year averages to around a 2.7 (c+) and it only gets a bit better in the upper years. What kind of quantitative credentials are suggested in order to be competitive at a top5 US Law/Business program?

Firstly, averages aren't "set" at a C+ (which is 2.3 not 2.7), but they certainly may be belled to a C+ if they're low enough. Nevertheless most course averages tend to be a B- (2.7) or a B(3.0), and a B+ (3.3) is not unheard of. And this often happens without a bell curve.

The perception that first year averages are low comes from the fact that there are always a lot of lazy first year students who aren't putting in any effort so they tend to drag down the average. By 4th year you're going to see a lot of class averages exceeding 73%, and that's with no bell curve at all. I have yet to see marks actually being purposefully lowered, as it would trigger a huge uproar. Of course I have seen killer exams that catch everyone by surprise, lowering the average. That's what may be seen as "mark deflation".

Anyways, about grad school, I really don't know about Law school but it's indeed quite possible to get into an MBA program straight out of ECE undergrad.

And marks matter, yes, but don't decide everything. Certainly a 4.0 GPA will automatically trash a 2.7 GPA (in fact I doubt you can even apply with something that low), but if it's 4.0 vs 3.8 for instance, the 4.0 guy doesn't have an automatic marks advantage. Having practical work experience and/or summer research positions is a crucial factor when the margin is that narrow. Then you need professors' recommendations, etc.

U of T itself has the Jeffrey Skoll MBA program for engineers that lets you go straight into a fast-paced MBA right away, and certainly lots of engineering grads, not just ECEs, head to places like Harvard Business School and UPenn Wharton.
Was this helpful? Yes 0