yconic - ECE vs Mech at UofT!!!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

ECE vs Mech at UofT!!!

A photo of razorbmw razorbmw
I am a first year student at UofT doing track 1. I have narrowed down my choices to ECE and Mech for 2nd year. But I am in a fix. I failed CIV100 and APS105 in my last semester by getting 48% in both of them. So Im taking them in this semester but I dont like CIV100 course at all and still getting poor marks but passing atleast. On the other hand I am getting over 95% in programming this time. I will have to take Dynamics and ECE110 in the summer. In the last semester my average was on dot 60% and now in winter so far its over 80%.

What do guys think should I go to MECH or ECE? I prefer both of them but I just dont like CIV100 sort of any courses . Moreover I have heard that ECE 2nd year is insanely hard. Since I failed aps105 in the first semester does it mean I cannot do well in ECE later on? Thanks...
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of Dynamics Dynamics
I would personally wait until you take the summer courses before making your decision. Both of those courses are an intro for whats to come in Mech and ECE (and they're also the hardest first year courses so goodluck =) ).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Firstly CIV100 is much more relevant to Civil than to Mech, so CIV100 should not be the subject turning you off from Mech.

MIE100, however, is more relevant but you haven't done it yet so...

As for ECE, 2nd year is MUCH more electrical than computer, and one computer course in each term is HARDWARE, not software, so it has little to do with APS105.

Since you seem to understand APS105 better now ECE244 next year should be a breeze - most people think ECE244 was easier. Good job!

ECE110 is all circuit analysis, no programming, if you like it, ECE is THE program for you, even if you're not good at programming.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of razorbmw razorbmw

@machoTS wrote
Firstly CIV100 is much more relevant to Civil than to Mech, so CIV100 should not be the subject turning you off from Mech.

MIE100, however, is more relevant but you haven't done it yet so...

As for ECE, 2nd year is MUCH more electrical than computer, and one computer course in each term is HARDWARE, not software, so it has little to do with APS105.

Since you seem to understand APS105 better now ECE244 next year should be a breeze - most people think ECE244 was easier. Good job!

ECE110 is all circuit analysis, no programming, if you like it, ECE is THE program for you, even if you're not good at programming.

Since I was repeating two courses in winter so attended all of the lectures of MIE100 and ECE110 to keep myself ahead for the summer. I even solved the midterms. I found MIE100 is a lot harder than ECE110. ECE110 seems much interesting to me. The main reason why I posted this thread was I met with 2 3rd year ECE students who told me that "If you have failed aps105 in fall NEVER go to ECE cz u cant survive the 2nd year".
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thePurpleEngineer thePurpleEngineer
The first year courses don't do justice to their respective disciplines... Don't choose a discipline just because you like MIE100 or ECE110...

The real question you should ask yourself is this.
Which one do you want to be: a mechanical engineer or an electrical and computer engineer?

It really doesn't matter which courses are easier and harder if you like it (or willing to suffer through it).
Was this helpful? Yes 0