yconic - economics ?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

economics ?

A photo of Shomzie322 Shomzie322
hey everyone. im sure this question has been asked time and time again and i've googled it and gotten some answers i just want to be totaly sure. Now i;m wondering if should major in economics along with a major in poly sci. I do have an aptitude for business and i do very well in courses like accounting and business ( my parents are both accountants :P ) however, i'm not good at really math heavy courses like advanced functions. Would i be able to still excell in economics ? having a fall back into business in case law school doesn't happen isn't a bad idea i think : P
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of chloeschmoe chloeschmoe

@Shomzie322 wrote
hey everyone. im sure this question has been asked time and time again and i've googled it and gotten some answers i just want to be totaly sure. Now i;m wondering if should major in economics along with a major in poly sci. I do have an aptitude for business and i do very well in courses like accounting and business ( my parents are both accountants :P ) however, i'm not good at really math heavy courses like advanced functions. Would i be able to still excell in economics ? having a fall back into business in case law school doesn't happen isn't a bad idea i think : P

Economics involves a lot of statistics, so it would be good for you to have a math background. If you're into law, there are more theory-based economics courses (such as ECO 105 at U of T) which are ideal for social science students.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Shomzie322 Shomzie322
oh alright thanks :) now, would embracing the social science aspect of economics help if i were to look for a job in business? Like what sorts of useful things are looked at in in the social science side of economics? not to say that certain parts are not useful but i mean in terms of if it's on my resume and i give it to a business will they be like " what is this? he knows about game theory what can i do with this?" or that sort of thing :P

edit: looking into it further, a BA in economics is more respectable than i thought :P Maybe i can take a social science approach to it, my questions still apply tho :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
I am thinking of doing a EPP degree @ Western if I don't get into Ivey.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of canta93loupe canta93loupe

@Shomzie322 wrote
oh alright thanks :) now, would embracing the social science aspect of economics help if i were to look for a job in business? Like what sorts of useful things are looked at in in the social science side of economics? not to say that certain parts are not useful but i mean in terms of if it's on my resume and i give it to a business will they be like " what is this? he knows about game theory what can i do with this?" or that sort of thing :P

edit: looking into it further, a BA in economics is more respectable than i thought :P Maybe i can take a social science approach to it, my questions still apply tho :P

If you are going to major in Economics, you must be able to study both the mathematical side of it and the social science side. If you want to go into business, I'm pretty sure it'll be a given for you to have a strong math background to do well.

lol and game theory is all math.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chloeschmoe chloeschmoe

@Shomzie322 wrote

OK, just to clarify - a major in economics WILL involve a lot of math. The theory-based course I was talking about is only a component of a social science degree and I don't think it'll lead to a degree in economics itself.

You might want to look into doing your undergrad in International Relations instead (it's a social science and combines history, economics, and politics) before going into law. Either way, it's multidisciplinary and can lead to a career in business, journalism, law, or diplomacy. Good luck!

P.S. Tiger Woods, Cate Blanchett, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Ivanka Trump all have economics degrees :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0