yconic - economics at UTSG or economics at york
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

economics at UTSG or economics at york

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Generally, I would recommend looking into a field of study before deciding to go in to it...
Was this helpful? Yes 0
15 replies

A photo of HeroOfCanton HeroOfCanton
Generally, I would recommend looking into a field of study before deciding to go in to it...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

do u mine telling me what do u learn in international relations
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of HeroOfCanton HeroOfCanton
Diplomacy, war, political economy, the balance of power. Things along that line.

I wasn't trying to be a dick. I would recommend reading a few books or articles about economics before deciding to major in it. If you really want to know, look at the course listings that U of T and York have and compare the two, and maybe read on it in your spare time.

Also, U of T has a stronger economics department, but undergraduate programs are pretty similar in the quality of their teaching. Pick the school you like more.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

thanks that pretty much help me understand economics more, im planning in going the business field do you think i should take economics at UTSG or york business economic. its just so confusing because i was also thinking of just going to ryerson and do there commerce program
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq
Jeez.. How much more clueless can you be about your own future?

On serious terms, what do you plan on doing after your bachelors?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sevenzeroz sevenzeroz

@737300173 wrote
thanks that pretty much help me understand economics more, im planning in going the business field do you think i should take economics at UTSG or york business economic. its just so confusing because i was also thinking of just going to ryerson and do there commerce program

Before I decided to go into social sciences I was planning on going into business, which is why I did a ton of research on it before and know a bit about it.

In general, the top business schools in Canada are, in no particular order:
University of Western Ontario (Ivey HBA)
Queen's Commerce (BCOM)
York - Schulich School of Business (BBA/iBBA)
McGill - Desautels Faculty of Management (BCOM)
UBC - Sauders (BCOM)

After those five are what people consider "tier 2":
Laurier (BBA)
UofT (BCOM)

Then after that is anything else. The top 5 I listed all require 90's (idk about UBC, you can check that if you're interested). Even though Queen's admission says you need 87% to be competitive, you will be competing with people with 90's anyway.

Laurier and UofT are really good business schools too. Laurier's biggest faculty is business, so it's well-known for it. They are also one of the few business programs that offer co-op (none of the other 6 universities offer co-op - edit: again idk about UBC). And UofT has Rotman, and is generally good all-round.

I don't know too much about Ryerson but I think that UTSC offers co-op in their program too.

IMHO you should be posting this in the business forum. They would be able to give you more answers than you'd find in the social sciences/humanities section.

Btw I agree with Qq, it's January and you're asking these questions now? A lot of people start rsearching in gr 11, myself included. Anyways, if you want to find hard cold information, go to the university websites, they have all the information about all of their programs posted there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
^ Sauder's tier one as well, kthx.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Zion wrote
^ Sauder's tier one as well, kthx.

That's true. I myself never really considered it because it's much farther than say, Quebec, but many people do consider it to be one of the best.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of deathangel deathangel

@sevenzeroz wrote

Before I decided to go into social sciences I was planning on going into business, which is why I did a ton of research on it before and know a bit about it.

Queen's Commerce (BCOM)

After those four are what people consider "tier 2":
Laurier (BBA)
UofT (BCOM)

LOL, idk where you get your info from, but according to Financial Times 2010:
Rotman: 1st in Canada, 45th in the world
Ivey : 2nd in Canada, 49th world (although I doubt it because I personally know quite a few people who are still unemployed after they graduated from Ivey)
Shulich: 3rd in " ", 54th " "
Sauder: 4th "", 82th " "
U of Alberta: 5th " ", 86th " "

http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/global-mba-rankings

AND even Western themselves agreed that they are no.2 : http://www.ivey.uwo.ca/about/rankings.htm
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@deathangel wrote

@sevenzeroz wrote

Queen's Commerce (BCOM)

Laurier (BBA)
UofT (BCOM)

Ivey : 2nd in Canada, 49th world (although I doubt it because I personally know quite a few people who are still unemployed after they graduated from Ivey)

AND even Western themselves agreed that they are no.2 : http://www.ivey.uwo.ca/about/rankings.htm

Those rankings are garbage. And the link says MBA rankings.

Stick to forensic pyschology :compress: .
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of deathangel deathangel

@g93 wrote

@deathangel wrote

@sevenzeroz wrote

Queen's Commerce (BCOM)

Laurier (BBA)
UofT (BCOM)

LOL, you don't even know how to quote properly.

If those rankings are garbage, then provide me another ranking that fits what sevenzeroz mentioned in his post.

Please do not forget that forensic psychology is not the only program I am studying in, the other major is called "International Relations" and it touches on business/economic related topics too.

Anyway, stick to your high school courses :compress:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@deathangel wrote

@g93 wrote

@deathangel wrote

@sevenzeroz wrote

Queen's Commerce (BCOM)

Laurier (BBA)
UofT (BCOM)

If those rankings are garbage, then provide me another ranking that fits what sevenzeroz mentioned in his post.

Please do not forget that forensic psychology is not the only program I am studying in, the other major is called "International Relations" and it touches on business/economic related topics too.

If you would have cared to notice, the quote got mixed in with your url. Maybe you should have hyperlinked a word instead, then it would have quoted properly.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@deathangel wrote

@g93 wrote

@deathangel wrote

@sevenzeroz wrote

Queen's Commerce (BCOM)

Laurier (BBA)
UofT (BCOM)

If you would have cared to notice, the quote got mixed in with your url. Maybe you should have hyperlinked a word instead, then it would have quoted properly.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of illuminati illuminati
No one is disputing the Financial Times rankings, but for any one to use that as evidence that Rotman Commerce is a better choice than Ivey HBA needs a reality check.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@deathangel wrote

@sevenzeroz wrote

Queen's Commerce (BCOM)

Laurier (BBA)
UofT (BCOM)

Lol you need to calm down man. Those are MBA rankings, and since OP is obviously considering undergraduate studies, I gave a general ranking of universities based off my own and many other peoples' opinions of which universities would provide the best undergraduate business programs.

I'm not here to argue over which university is the best based off one single website's rankings, because I have no doubt in my mind that there are other websites that have different rankings. If you really want to prove that Rotman is the best business school in Canada then go over to the business section and discuss it there. I'm sure they would be glad to tell you otherwise.
Was this helpful? Yes 0