yconic - ECs and Awards
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

ECs and Awards

A photo of Rela Rela
Greetings, I am currently a grade 11 student attending high school. I have showed much interest into the Richard Ivey and Schulich business programs. I am an exceptional student who is able to achieve and maintain high marks, my current average with multiple grade 12 courses are 98%.

However, I am concerned with the fact that I am lacking extracurricular activities and awards which will greatly influence their decision. I have done 60 hours of community service at a retirement home but nothing really outside of that. I plan on joining the deca group and the school newspaper writers crew next year in order to make up for the lack of extracurricular activities. I have not won any awards either.

Exceptional applicants for the Richard Ivey program usually have around 20 extracurricular activities and multiple awards. Can someone give me some advice as to how and where I could obtain more of these extracurricular activities?

Thank you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
20 extra curricular activities? I've never met someone with that much time on their hands. Honestly, you don't have much to worry about with that 98% avg. If you really want to re assure yourself though and have a bit of fun at the same time, join your schools debate team or DECA club. Even try out for a sports team or two, and you're basically guaranteed admission. BTW, the more you volunteer, the better it looks on your application.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Rela Rela
That was exactly what I was thinking myself, until I found out how social other applicants were. I'm normally one of those people who get good grades but not very social, which is definitely a flaw. These programs are looking for people with leadership traits, which I do not possess nor had any experience with.

My main concern is the essay which I have to write in order to qualify for a position in the course. It requires me to describe my experiences with my extra-curricular activities, which I lack. With a 2 page essay, I doubt I will be able to impress anyone of such a high caliber. I wish I paid more attention about this earlier, procrastinated way too much.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of awaysheflew awaysheflew

@Rela wrote

Exceptional applicants for the Richard Ivey program usually have around 20 extracurricular activities and multiple awards. Can someone give me some advice as to how and where I could obtain more of these extracurricular activities?

20 ECs? Where did you hear that?

If you list 20 ECs on any application (university, scholarship, etc.), it's going to be very, very obvious that you're only doing it to make yourself look good. What scholarship and university admissions committees look for is not how many ECs you have, but the quality of your involvement. In other words, somebody that only participates in 1 or 2 ECs but is very dedicated and has shown leadership in those activities is going to be chosen for a scholarship or university offer over someone that has 10 ECs but isn't very involved with any of them.

My best advice is to ask yourself what you are passionate about and would be happy to devote large amounts of time to. You're interested in business, so getting involved with DECA might be a good idea. If you enjoy debating, join the debate team or model UN.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
depth > breadth

Cramming a laundry list of EC's in your senior year is not hard to see through.
Although it might be too late to become the president of clubs, you could found your own. A meaningful volunteer project addressing a community issue would be a good idea too.

Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
I don't think it's too late to start now.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greenmint greenmint
You are well padded for life.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted