yconic - Election Day
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Election Day

A photo of jessicarangel jessicarangel
Hey Everyone!

So as you all know election day is soon approaching (May 2nd) and I am torn as to who to vote for. I've been following the campaigns and honestly I don't understand or can't relate to 70% of what is being proposed.

Who are you guys voting for and why?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
74 replies

This post was deleted

A photo of quin quin
I think it depends what your priorities are. I value keeping health care public, continuing to monitor banks, and taxing corporations. I don't believe in large investment in our military, and I care about developing the framework for clean energy and preserving our environment. Traditionally I have supported NDP, but I may vote green this time around.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadavotes2011/votecompass/

If your not quite sure whats up, this guide might help. It will tell you who best represents you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm thinking NDP too - but apparently Jack Layton's health issues are of great concern to some people.
I don't think Harper did a horrible job running the country either - with exception to the military issue. Canada is doing really well economically compared to other countries.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zarathustra Zarathustra

@jessicarangel wrote
I'm thinking NDP too - but apparently Jack Layton's health issues are of great concern to some people.
I don't think Harper did a horrible job running the country either - with exception to the military issue. Canada is doing really well economically compared to other countries.

Canada is doing well economically because of laws in place in our banking institution that prevents derivative marketing, shadow banks , OTC, ETDs etc that fight regulation. Most regulated banks escaped the recessions unscathed (i.e Sweden). It has nothing to do with Stephen Harper. I love how he accused Stephan Dion of losing his composure/exaggerating the current economic crisis and then goes on stealing his economic plan. F****** ridiculous.

Stephen Harper is nothing but a liar.

He accuses other parties of excessive federal spending and yet he's spending useless money on prisons (he's spending a couple billion on new laws he has in place not new prisons) and on a couple of stealth fighters that Canada really has 0 use for.

On top of this, he followed surpluses created by Paul Martin to one of the largest deficits in recent memory (Obviously he spent the money in order to show a deficit).

His mandate includes cutting costs and taxes but where would the money going into social services (healthcare, education, transportation etc) go especially with a large sum of our money going into the military?

He also promises by lowering costs for corporations, he'll create more jobs...how? Companies would be more content in pocketing the extra money and outsourcing instead of creating jobs.

Simply Pathetic.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A lotta good points to take into consideration Zarathustra!

Anyone have any thought on the Liberal Party? Can Ignatieff be trusted?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@jessicarangel wrote
A lotta good points to take into consideration Zarathustra!

Anyone have any thought on the Liberal Party? Can Ignatieff be trusted?

The Liberals are alright. I also don't know why Harper is focusing on the "coalition government" issue so much when in reality that would be the "best" thing for Canada right now. Usually the arguments against coalition governments is that the differing philosophies would throw the political system into disarray but with the NDP-Liberal-Green Party-Bloc all in sync with one another on most issues it seems to me to be the right choice at this moment in time.

I hate how Ignatieff has been getting flack for teaching at Harvard, MIT, University of London, London School of Economics, UCLA and his time aborad (which shows his experience) whereas a stiff like Harper is not raising any concerns for his lack of experience outside of Canada for that matter.

With the growing Republican support in the south...I just really hope the Conservatives don't sync up with them ESPECIALLY with so many countries distancing themselves from USA. Wait...why the F*** do I care...I'm going into Finance.

God I miss that Polio ridden old man and his finance minister. Some of the best years in Canada.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
It's three weeks before my 18th birthday, but if I were to vote I'd probably go Liberal or NDP.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

According to the cbc vote compass tool I should vote Liberal because their campaign covers more issues of concern to me than the other parties.
I think I will vote Liberal - and if Ignatieff screws us over we can just re-elect someone else after a minimum of 15 days right???? lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@quin wrote
I think it depends what your priorities are. I value keeping health care public, continuing to monitor banks, and taxing corporations. I don't believe in large investment in our military, and I care about developing the framework for clean energy and preserving our environment. Traditionally I have supported NDP, but I may vote green this time around.

If your not quite sure whats up, this guide might help. It will tell you who best represents you.

@jessicarangel wrote
According to the cbc vote compass tool I should vote Liberal because their campaign covers more issues of concern to me than the other parties.
I think I will vote Liberal - and if Ignatieff screws us over we can just re-elect someone else after a minimum of 15 days right???? lol

This resource was valid until it was revealed that the CBC openly hired a Liberal to create the Compass in their own interest...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm voting for the party that is here for Canada, that is here for Canadian families, and has an outstanding track record for the past 5 years: Conservative.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ARMY101 wrote

@quin wrote

@jessicarangel wrote

This resource was valid until it was revealed that the CBC openly hired a Liberal to create the Compass in their own interest...

That's BS.

Even the academics at UTSC said it was used to create discussion NOT to help you choose who you're voting for.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ARMY101 wrote
I'm voting for the party that is here for Canada, that is here for Canadian families, and has an outstanding track record for the past 5 years: Conservative.

Right like Mike Harris was ever here for Canadian families.

Your name implies your bias already. Pfft

BTW cutting Corporate Taxes or Taxes in general, in no way helps the average Canadian. Just saying.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Zarathustra wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

BTW cutting Corporate Taxes or Taxes in general, in no way helps the average Canadian. Just saying.

1. Harris was not a member of the Conservative Party.

2. Yes it does. Google "trickle down effect."
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Zarathustra wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

@quin wrote

@jessicarangel wrote

That's BS.

Even the academics at UTSC said it was used to create discussion NOT to help you choose who you're voting for.

The CBC contracted out to a Liberal to create the VoteCompass: http://www.ottawasun.com/comment/columnists/ezra_levant/2011/04/11/17956156.html?sms_ss=facebook&at_xt=4da499f55017f29d%2C1. The CBC used the VoteCompass as a marketing tool to check out your preferences, only to really push you to the Liberals.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CanadaBoy CanadaBoy
I usually don't support ARMY101 because he's an obvious troll, but generally, yes, corporate tax cuts do bring prices down and increase job creation.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of weelittlemonsterrrr weelittlemonsterrrr
I have been following the elections and have been asking all the right questions. What I have been finding is that a lot of the parties (I mean all of them) have some little slogan and then when I inquire about what they stand for, what they are about, and how they plan to look at all of Canada's problems I get the same flipping slogan from before and a eighty page document that does not answer ANY of my questions. Because of this I no longer feel the need to vote if they cannot even communicate with me what their main goal for Canada is in simple enough terms that don't dodge away from the subject.

Oh well it will be quite the decision to make over the next few weeks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dancee dancee
Still deciding. Each party has it's obvious pros and cons. I will probably lean towards the Liberals. I definitely don't hate the Conservatives, but I don't think they'll get my vote this election.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ARMY101 wrote

@Zarathustra wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

@quin wrote

@jessicarangel wrote

That's BS.

The CBC contracted out to a Liberal to create the VoteCompass: http://www.ottawasun.com/comment/columnists/ezra_levant/2011/04/11/17956156.html?sms_ss=facebook&at_xt=4da499f55017f29d%2C1. The CBC used the VoteCompass as a marketing tool to check out your preferences, only to really push you to the Liberals.

Also Mike Harris was a conservative.

Reganomics are useless in a country that limits foreign investment and besides they only target a specific group of people anyway. Tax cuts for the middle-class/ low class would be much more economically stimulating than "supply side economics".

Greatest example
Clinton's tax increases vs Bush's tax cuts. Who had the largest economic expansion during their presidency?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of prmly prmly

@Zarathustra wrote

Corporate tax cuts = more jobs created in the private sector. Tax increases for businesses, no matter what their size, will cause the country's economy to falter.

It's not a crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.’ But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. Read Rothbard.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@CanadaBoy wrote
I usually don't support ARMY101 because he's an obvious troll, but generally, yes, corporate tax cuts do bring prices down and increase job creation.

This is based on the assumption that the corporation in question lacks employees. The idea that one corporation's profits should produce new jobs in that corporation is an economic fallacy.

In most cases, corporations are more than happy to either:

a) Pocket the money
b) Use it to maintain/train their employees.machines better.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@prmly wrote

@Zarathustra wrote

Corporate tax cuts = more jobs created in the private sector. Tax increases for businesses, no matter what their size, will cause the country's economy to falter.

It's not a crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.’ But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. Read Rothbard.

Corporations do not plan for taxes.

Tax Cuts might free up dividends for stockholders (which is then taxed) or increases money spent on investments/wages. But tax cuts do not create jobs. It's a dubious assertion at best. Just look at the spiraling unemployment rates under Bush despite the HUGE tax cuts.

Read Alan Blinder,Nozick...hell even read up on Chomsky while you're at it. At least they're all relevant to today's world. (As an economist, you should know that every system is flawed. It makes you look really stupid/conceited/snobby/all of the above name dropping economists when anyone can name another economist that completely and utterly destroys the other's theory. And naming an anarcho-capitalist...well just makes you look plain silly . )

Hell even throw economics aside and use your critical thinking skills.

If you ran a reasonably successful business and someone gave you extra money, would you spend it?

Most people would not because their staff/machinery are already optimized for maximum output. Just giving them more money and expecting them to hire someone is just foolish.

The Bush admin is a great example of this. Look at the unemployment rate despite the high corporate tax cuts versus the unemployment rate during Clinton's admin where he raised taxes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo

@Zarathustra wrote
That's BS.

This would be great if everyone always read the fine print and if everyone were reasonable.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Blargg Blargg
I'm definitely voting for Liberal.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DiddlySquat DiddlySquat

@Zarathustra wrote

There are some people who would be better off without (or with very limited) government intervention. Clearly you are not one of them, as you are unintelligent, weak, and pitiful. But there are people out there who know how to spend their own money more efficiently than the government can, believe it or not.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of prmly prmly

@DiddlySquat wrote

@Zarathustra wrote

There are some people who would be better off without (or with very limited) government intervention. Clearly you are not one of them, as you are unintelligent, weak, and pitiful. But there are people out there who know how to spend their own money more efficiently than the government can, believe it or not.

I'm going to go out on a whim here and guess that you're a fellow libertarian?
Was this helpful? Yes 0