yconic - Electives Electives Electives
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Electives Electives Electives

A photo of bonafide603207 bonafide603207
I have a lot of interests (social sciences, business, maths, languages), but I really need to tone it down because I'm going for bio-med where you are very restricted in what you can take.

Is there anything that you would warn me from taking?
What was your favourite first year elective?

Can first years only take first year electives?

PS. I'm headed to either Guelph or Western.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of JNBirDy JNBirDy

@bonafide603207 wrote
I have a lot of interests (social sciences, business, maths, languages), but I really need to tone it down because I'm going for bio-med where you are very restricted in what you can take.

Is there anything that you would warn me from taking?
What was your favourite first year elective?

Can first years only take first year electives?

PS. I'm headed to either Guelph or Western.

Hi, for your first year elective take something that you find interesting so that you will want to go to class and do the work.

I took an Arabic language elective during first year... seemed pretty interesting. I ended up really not enjoying it and it was my lowest mark first year.

First years can only take first year courses (at least at Western).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sach10 sach10
^ i agree!

for first year bio-med at western you'll be taking bio, chem, physics, some sort of math course...which leaves room for one elective. I took psych (with mike) in first year. It was a fun course...loads of readings though (but that was a given). Also, in order to graduate you need to fulfill certain requirements. One of them is that you need to take 1.0 course each from Category A, B and C. Since you are going for bio-med you don't have to worry about C (as that is the sciences). I took psych as it was from one of the other categories. Also you need 2.0 essay courses. A friend of mine took philosophy...killed 2 birds with one stone. It took care of one of the categories as well as the essay requirement. I suggest you look over the western academic calendar during summer. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0