yconic - Electrical Engineering OR Mechanical Engineering
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Electrical Engineering OR Mechanical Engineering

A photo of mbahmed mbahmed
I have a choice of either mechanical or electrical engineering at Waterloo and am having a hard time picking. I have a few questions:

1. What is the demand of jobs in electrical engineering vs mechanical engineering?
2. Does electrical engineering involve a lot of computer programming?
3. Does waterloo's mechanical eng. program involve specialization in automobile engineering or engine design?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of mechboyy mechboyy
well mechanical is more competitive, so i would assume there must be something good about it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango

@mbahmed wrote
I have a choice of either mechanical or electrical engineering at Waterloo and am having a hard time picking. I have a few questions:

1. What is the demand of jobs in electrical engineering vs mechanical engineering?
2. Does electrical engineering involve a lot of computer programming?
3. Does waterloo's mechanical eng. program involve specialization in automobile engineering or engine design?

there are usually a ton more jobs in EE. I think it's because of more need in our current industry. Proof: me looking at Jobmine.
EE does involve some programming, I mean you need programming in many of your future circuitry courses, and you should expect to take some programming courses. not sure of how many though, you should check the undergrad calendar for that. & also not sure of #3. again, check out undergrad calendar.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
1. I think aimango is right there are more jobs in EE. Thats not to say there arent any jobs in mech.
2. Read what aimango said
3. I dont think so based on this.... http://www.mme.uwaterloo.ca/undergrad/mechanical/index.html but check with UW course calender.

If you are deciding between the two look more at what you enjoy doing versus job opportunities. Mechanical is still a traditional eng degree and employers outside of engineering/tech companies will hire you (ex consulting). Both are fairly broad and really you arent going to wrong with either program. Look more at what you enjoy doing. IMO if you like both and are stuck go with EE.
Was this helpful? Yes 0