yconic - EMERGENCY?! Queen's Referee!!!?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

EMERGENCY?! Queen's Referee!!!?

A photo of peachtree peachtree
I'm filling out my Queens PSE right now..(very last minute..i know >:S) and I do not know who to put as my referee!!

It says it should be someone that can verify some of my activities but there is really no one I can think of that can do that.

HELP!!

who did you put as your referee??
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@peachtree wrote
I'm filling out my Queens PSE right now..(very last minute..i know >:S) and I do not know who to put as my referee!!

It says it should be someone that can verify some of my activities but there is really no one I can think of that can do that.

HELP!!

Guidance Councillor works well if you know him/her.
Not sure if you can put teachers but a teacher who knows you well.

Just put someone who knows you well, and can testify on your behalf (they don't need to know all your activities, they may be just the parent sponsor of one of your activities). Make sure they are also somewhat reputable. (i.e. a student or parent wouldn't work even though they probably know you better than anyone else, and they should have some type of respected position like a teacher).

Make sure you talk to your referee prior to putting him/her as one.

EDIT: If its due soon (don't know when the date is since I'm in uni) than just use a person that you have already previously used as a reference for lets say Schulich, Laurier, or Ivey apps. and have talked to before.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Cr?meGlac Cr?meGlac

I'm kind of confused about this too. How can my referee testify for me without knowing all of my activities? Would looking at my community service forms be enough, or do they actually have to supervise one of my activities?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of peachtree peachtree

@ZFero wrote

@peachtree wrote

HELP!!

Guidance Councillor works well if you know him/her.
Not sure if you can put teachers but a teacher who knows you well.

Just put someone who knows you well, and can testify on your behalf (they don't need to know all your activities, they may be just the parent sponsor of one of your activities). Make sure they are also somewhat reputable. (i.e. a student or parent wouldn't work even though they probably know you better than anyone else, and they should have some type of respected position like a teacher).

Make sure you talk to your referee prior to putting him/her as one.

EDIT: If its due soon (don't know when the date is since I'm in uni) than just use a person that you have already previously used as a reference for lets say Schulich, Laurier, or Ivey apps. and have talked to before.

Thanks! Its due on march 1st so i still have time :S
i have decided to ask one of my teachers as my referee. Even though she doesn't really know all of my activities BUT she can be a great reference. i will bring her my volunteer letters and my proofs of my work experience just so she knows exactly what i put in my supplementary :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@CrèmeGlacée wrote

I'm kind of confused about this too. How can my referee testify for me without knowing all of my activities? Would looking at my community service forms be enough, or do they actually have to supervise one of my activities?

Queen's really doesn't give a crap about the EC's. The essays are by far the most valuable part of the application after you have reached the 87%+ mark.

Since you are limited to the amount of activities you can mention, just pick the person that is in charge of the most important activity or the referee who knows your overall involvement.

Who you pick has a far less effect on your application (as long as you don't pick someone who doesn't know you or is an bleep) vs. working on your essays.

The essays are SUPER IMPORTANT, can't stress that enough. Make sure that is 100x checked.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ZFero wrote

@CrèmeGlacée wrote

Queen's really doesn't give a crap about the EC's. The essays are by far the most valuable part of the application after you have reached the 87%+ mark.

Since you are limited to the amount of activities you can mention, just pick the person that is in charge of the most important activity or the referee who knows your overall involvement.

Who you pick has a far less effect on your application (as long as you don't pick someone who doesn't know you or is an bleep) vs. working on your essays.

The essays are SUPER IMPORTANT, can't stress that enough. Make sure that is 100x checked.

About the essay (PSE) should I talk about my past experiences, or just my goals? I don't want to stray from the question... but how do I show my leadership/ commitment otherwise? The word limit is driving me nuts!

I mean grammatically, my essay makes sense, but content wise, I hate it. I'm not a writer. . .
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cliffhanger33 cliffhanger33

@CrèmeGlacée wrote

@ZFero wrote

@CrèmeGlacée wrote

About the essay (PSE) should I talk about my past experiences, or just my goals? I don't want to stray from the question... but how do I show my leadership/ commitment otherwise? The word limit is driving me nuts!

I mean grammatically, my essay makes sense, but content wise, I hate it. I'm not a writer. . .

Focus more on what you are doing now and the effect of them towards your goals. Focus on achievements from those activities and how it influenced what you want to do, rather than laundry listing what you did.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cliffhanger33 wrote

@CrèmeGlacée wrote

@ZFero wrote

@CrèmeGlacée wrote

Focus more on what you are doing now and the effect of them towards your goals. Focus on achievements from those activities and how it influenced what you want to do, rather than laundry listing what you did.

Thanks, that's a great idea!
I have a supplementary essay too though, so I guess I have to be careful not to repeat anything.
Was this helpful? Yes 0