yconic - employment options with economics programs
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

employment options with economics programs

A photo of SDHN SDHN
How are the employment options with economics program? Are there any firms (accounting/consulting etc) that would come on campus and hire economics graduates?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of SiVisPacemParaBellum SiVisPacemParaBellum
Undergraduate economics degree alone will not result in a lucrative career by any means. Your options will be limited.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CRAZYBUBBA CRAZYBUBBA
Your options may be limited if you're specifically looking to go from Econ-> Accounting. It may be worthwhile for you to do further research on the requirements for becoming a CA. I believe that there are some courses required that would be difficutl to take outside of a conventinal accounting degree. Note: The BA in econ at Queen's allows you to take up to (10?) credits of commerce courses towards your degree, so it may be a good fit.

As for consulting, you shouldn't have an issue. However, you should have an "A" average.

As an econ major myself, I can attest that outside of insurance/financial analysis. The skills that you learn in econ aren't an immediate fit anywhere else. So, if you're not the number crunching kind then it would be prudent to pursue ECs that make you more well rounded/employable elsewhere.
Was this helpful? Yes 0