yconic - Eng. Sci. Vs. Mechanical at UofT
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Eng. Sci. Vs. Mechanical at UofT

A photo of anotherworld anotherworld
Hi everyone,

Basically, I am choosing between Mechanical and Eng Sci at UofT, and was wondering if anyone could share some insight on what they think of each of these programs. I think they are both great, and have their own advantages and disadvantages,

I am particularly interested in aerospace at eng sci, and am wondering how the job market for an eng sci student versus a mechanical student would differ.

I would especially appreciate insight from current students in either of these programs (or similar). What do you like/dislike? What are some common misconceptions? Do you regret your decision (I hope not)?

Plus, any other advice pertaining to engineering and studying it at UofT would be great!

Thank you :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of jasonmartins jasonmartins
Sorry this is not an answer, but I have pretty much the same concerns/questions.
I got accepted into EngSci but am seriously debating dropping down to Track One.
I feel that most people in EngSci plan on staying in university after their degree for graduate studies. I am interested in finding work afterwards. Is there any point in getting the EngSci degree if I will be competing with someone who went through one of the Core 8 Programs. So far as I hear, it sounds as if co-op is the more important factor, not which degree you will have obtained. And yes I certainly plan on doing co-op.

Consider this a free bump!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of ktel ktel
I would probably agree that an Eng Sci degree is only better if you want to do grad school. If you're interested in aerospace, I would do a mechanical degree and try to get aerospace related co-op or do a design project or something practically oriented towards aerospace.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of volnxebec volnxebec
go for Engsci, you can dropout to any program in the first week anyways... I know a few people who dropped out of the first week... Doesn't matter what I say, gotta experience it urself man
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of anotherworld anotherworld
Thanks everyone, I appreciate it. I wish I could also hear from someone who is actually in mechanical at UofT, so if there is anyone here, it would be a great help!

But you all raise very valid points. I kind of don't want to do the dropping out thing, I want to decide before I start.

I am a little interested in grad studies too, but I don't see how I wouldn't be able to go to a top grad school in North America if I do really well in mech too. Is there a reason I can't but an eng sci can?

Plus, I am told that eng sci students are always studying. I want some time to join extra curricular initiatives, attend interesting events, etc.

Does anyone know if a 4.0 in mech versus a 3.7 GPA in eng sci is better? For employment, would the 4.0 from mech stand out more (amongst other factors of course), or will the sheer fact that I am in eng sci be superior even if I don't have a 4.0?

Thanks again all!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I did a degree in Mechanical (at U of A) and am now doing grad school at U of T alongside many Engscis. There's nothing specific that should hold you back if you do mech over eng sci.

Which degree is better will be totally subjective and depend completely on who you are dealing with.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of vmicro vmicro
There is no shame in dropping out of engsci. Provided you get above a 50 or so, you can switch out into any program (besides perhaps trackone) at the end of first or second semester.

pretty much locked in if you start second year though.

Engsci is a program that works for a very specific type of person, and you won't know if you are one of those people unless you experience the program first hand. I can understand the aversion, but if there's any doubt, you should try it, because it will keep all your options open without any real consequence. Besides, doing first year engsci then switching into mech is a pretty common thing. If nothing else, you get to chill second year, because you'll be way ahead of the rest of the mechs and the second year curriculum is really light anyways.

The engsci curriculum will prepare you better for grad school, but if you do well in mech, you will get in just the same as if you do well in engsci. It will not close any doors.

Some engscis are always studying. but not all. This is true of any discipline. Trust me, it is possible to participate in Skule life, extra curriculars, etc. Although sometimes it can feel difficult to find the time, it is definitely doable. Besides, there will be times like that in any engineering program. Not gonna lie, be prepared to study a lot. But it DOES NOT have to be the only thing you do.

As for whether a 3.7 in Engsci is better than a 4.0 in mech... Not really. There are a handful of companies that know what the program is and actively hire engscis, Google being a notable example. However, a lot of people have no clue what engsci is and in those cases, the 4.0 will be marginally more beneficial. Of course, if you're lucky, the guy looking at your resume will be a U of T grad who knows what engsci is.

In any case this is sort of a side effect of the fact that the program is really research oriented, in that its not really geared towards preparing you for employment as much; for example, average PEY salaries are pretty low compared to other disciplines, about par with mechanical (ECE and mining have the highest). But don't get too hung up on averages, or marks for that matter. If you plan to directly enter the workforce, it only affects your PEY and your first job. After that, nobody, not even your mother, will care.

Grad school is of course a different story...
Was this helpful? Yes 0