yconic - Eng Sci Vs Regular Engineering?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Eng Sci Vs Regular Engineering?

A photo of moneymoneymoney moneymoneymoney
I understand that the eng sci program at u of t is more theoretical than the regular engineering streams. But is there more of a chance of a person from eng sci at u of t to go to graduate school (like in MIT, Caltech etc.) than a person graduating from a core 8 program from u of t? And are the job opportunities better for someone who graduates from eng sci (i.e more jobs, higher paying jobs ?). What about eng sci vs waterloo engineers? Thanks in advance!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
16 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hi.

EngSci is more theoretical than regular engineering, but less so than pure science. Yes, there are a lot of EngScis that end up at Caltech or MIT for grad school, but whether you will be admitted there depends on you, not the program. In other words, being in EngSci as opposed to regular stream will not enhance your chances of getting into these schools, but a typical EngSci student is more likely to get in vs. a regular engineer because they tend to be higher in caliber than the regular stream people.

I heard that the job opportunities are probably worse for EngScis. I heard this from my EngSci friends, I can't be sure if they were trolling me when they said this.

As for Waterloo, their engineering program is depressing because there is so much work to do (even more so than other engineering programs). The idea behind Waterloo's engineering program is that you can find a decent job after undergrad thanks to their co-op program. Since you are obviously considering grad school, I think going to UW would be of less value to you. UW is, of course, still a great school for engineering regardless of your post-undergrad plans.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
From what I've heard, it's not that EngScis have worse job opportunities - they just have the same ones and that pisses them off because they're supposed to be better than everybody else.

Like with everything, if you find Eng Scis going to legit grad schools or finding legit gigs at big companies, it's not because of Eng Sci or even necessarily what they learned in Eng Sci, but because of themselves.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@immaculatedx wrote
From what I've heard, it's not that EngScis have worse job opportunities - they just have the same ones and that pisses them off because they're supposed to be better than everybody else.

Ha ha ha. I truly do not understand the EngSci obsession. It's very very strange. Brainwashing at it's finest
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of ktel ktel
No I'm not hinting at you. It's all over this forum every day. I'm so happy I didn't stumble on this forum before I applied for university, I would have freaked out at all the lies and false information
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of adv4ntag3 adv4ntag3
if your into extreme competition, you can consider engsci...personally i don't recommend it due to its extreme difficulty and the fact that you can't specialize till later on...I'm currently in my first year at waterloo for nanotechnology engineering and many of my classmates chose to reject engsci simply cuz they didn't want that sort of environment to work in where you're constantly watching your back...so choose wisely
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of imaginaryengineer imaginaryengineer
My roomate's an engsci. If your in LOVE with theoretical and applied math and sciences then engsci is probably for you.

they didn't want that sort of environment to work in where you're constantly watching your back.

LIES....most engsci students arent back stabbers. They form there own little group that bond together. So as long as YOU are not too competitive you'll make many friends to work on those problem sets.

Cant comment on the whole job thing. The thing thats great is that you can switch to core 8 easily in the first month or so.

And here just for fun>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcby9Eu1t0M&feature=fvst

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
^ Yup engineering is all about what friends you have to help you with your homework and studying. A back stabber isn't going to go very far.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of moneymoneymoney moneymoneymoney
thanks for the replies guys. im actually thinking of waterloo engineering right now (if i get in) cus of the coop and because i dont think i will enjoy the "theoretical-ness" of eng sci lol. Do you guys think waterloo would still be a good prep for grad school in engineering?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie
Heads = Eng Sci
Tails = Regular Engineering

You flip a coin, whichever side you get, you go to that program.

See how easy that was? We don't need 34235 posts about it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of ktel ktel
I think people have the idea because the program is so competitive and everyone is so smart that people might try to harm your success. Giving you the wrong answers for an assignment, for example, when they're pretending to help you. I sincerely doubt that is the case, as for any engineering program you need friends to survive.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of WaterfallOfDestiny WaterfallOfDestiny
As a current EngSci student, I also highly doubt that the backstabbers would get very far. You must be able to share your answers and thoughts with other people if you want to do your assignments well. Your classmates are a great resource, and it's up to you to be as helpful as you can to them as well (and of course, it doesn't hurt to be friendly to people in general =D).

In relation to the Core 8 engineering programs, I actually get the impression that because of EngSci's inherent difficulty and emphasis on team projects (which you can collaborate with other teams on!), you generally get a better sense of community than the other disciplines that have more individual projects, or assignments that you can work on alone. There's nothing like going through hardship together to create a bond between people.

Of course, this is my biased opinion. That's not to say that the other disciplines are any less friendly - but from what I see, EngSci's are as tight-knit as you can get.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Typical Eng Scis ... concerned/discussing backstabbing and maliciousness ...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of WaterfallOfDestiny WaterfallOfDestiny

@immaculatedx wrote
Typical Eng Scis ... concerned/discussing backstabbing and maliciousness ...

You mean discussing the lack thereof.
Was this helpful? Yes 0