yconic - ENG4U (Grade 12 English) Discussions
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

ENG4U (Grade 12 English) Discussions

A photo of brady23 brady23
English doesn't have defined units, so any general comments about this course? How's the readings, any advice for others?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
26 replies

A photo of brady23 brady23
We haven't gotten the Kite Runner yet, but we will soon. I had a lot of writing assignments like personal metaphors, in-class assignments, and it's going pretty well so far.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of RedMittenDoc RedMittenDoc
ENG4U summer school

(Closed my window, QQ, I re-wrote this)

I'm in grade 11 first term right now, and I plan on taking this in summer school to get a higher mark. English has never been my favorite course, reading anything that was fiction bored me, I don't know why. I would like to know what can I do, to help me achieve over a 90+ (or preferably a 92+), in this class, can I do some type of prep like reading hamlet or writing essays about it in advanced... I just don't know, who's taken summer school eng4u and can tell me what in-class things you need to be good at, to get a good - scratch that, great mark.

I plan on doing Life or Health sci after school, so I don't think taking this, with the idea that I just want a good mark is wrong.

LET THE CONVO BEGIN!!!:cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Meine Meine
I was never a big fan of Shakespeare, but recently I found myself falling in love with his play Hamlet :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of gassergasser gassergasser
At my school its divided into 4 units:

-1984: Quiz, Test, Assignements, Essay
-Oedipus The King: Quiz, Test, Assignements, Essay
-Hamlet: Quiz, Test, Assignements, Essay
-A Streetcar Named Desire

I've just finished the 1984 unit, I really enjoyed the book, but the test and essay topic was hard. I'm currently reading Oedipus.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@RedMittenDoc wrote
ENG4U summer school

(Closed my window, QQ, I re-wrote this)

I'm in grade 11 first term right now, and I plan on taking this in summer school to get a higher mark. English has never been my favorite course, reading anything that was fiction bored me, I don't know why. I would like to know what can I do, to help me achieve over a 90+ (or preferably a 92+), in this class, can I do some type of prep like reading hamlet or writing essays about it in advanced... I just don't know, who's taken summer school eng4u and can tell me what in-class things you need to be good at, to get a good - scratch that, great mark.

I plan on doing Life or Health sci after school, so I don't think taking this, with the idea that I just want a good mark is wrong.

LET THE CONVO BEGIN!!!:cheers:

lol typical pre-med keener-ism.

English is a fun subject. Good luck to all of you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
Easily my worst subject haha. I struggle (a lot) to get anything above 80. In fact of the 5 things I've handed in so far, I've only got above 80 (83) on one thing. LOL I suck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Buddy, I suck. I've been getting a 74 all three years prior...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KingKhan KingKhan
I don't think anyone of you can top my 58 in grade 9 and 50 in grade 10, but I got an 84 in grade 12 summer school so it's all good. :bounce:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of christianbale christianbale
I got 82% in grades 9, 10, & 11

I'm hoping to do better this year and end the streak :study:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@KingKhan wrote
I don't think anyone of you can top my 58 in grade 9 and 50 in grade 10, but I got an 84 in grade 12 summer school so it's all good. :bounce:

It's probably because it was gr. 9 and 10 and you thought you could slack off?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AKhan11 AKhan11
I fast tracked grd 12 eng (took it in grd 11) and ended up with a 79 (too many late/missing assignments). However I retook it in summer school and ended up with a 94. Do you think universities like UW will be more displeased because I repeated it in summer school rather than repeating it in day school?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@KingKhan wrote

lol that's been the stories I'm hearing, yo congrats, I hope I get a lazy ass teacher that gives out 90s :D (TROLOLOL)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@AKhan11 wrote
I fast tracked grd 12 eng (took it in grd 11) and ended up with a 79 (too many late/missing assignments). However I retook it in summer school and ended up with a 94. Do you think universities like UW will be more displeased because I repeated it in summer school rather than repeating it in day school?

Asked my councillor this, she told me right away, the Unis only see it show up as a mark, doesn't matter when you take it, re- takes usually don't matter except from what I hear waterloo, go on einfo site check there
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AKhan11 AKhan11
Hey man, I asked my counselor today too and she said It doesn't matter either. The bottom line is (If anybody else cares about repeats):

Waterloo- will dock 3%-5% for Engineering and Math programs (excluding architecture).

U of T- "reserves the right to favor a student that has gotten a mark the first time rather than attaining it after a repeat". So basically if you are right on the threshold (cut off %) and are competing with people with the same average, then they will favor someone who has not repeated the course over you.

Mac- couldn't care less about repeats. Takes the highest mark and doesn't implement any penalties for repeats.

I only know the policies of these universities. If you repeated a course, I would advise you to make certain that you are fully aware of the universities' repeat policies before applying.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011

@AKhan11 wrote
Hey man, I asked my counselor today too and she said It doesn't matter either. The bottom line is (If anybody else cares about repeats):

Waterloo- will dock 3%-5% for Engineering and Math programs (excluding architecture).

U of T- "reserves the right to favor a student that has gotten a mark the first time rather than attaining it after a repeat". So basically if you are right on the threshold (cut off %) and are competing with people with the same average, then they will favor someone who has not repeated the course over you.

Mac- couldn't care less about repeats. Takes the highest mark and doesn't implement any penalties for repeats.

I only know the policies of these universities. If you repeated a course, I would advise you to make certain that you are fully aware of the universities' repeat policies before applying.

Just keep in mind that there are a few programs do specify that they only take first attempts (Rotman Commerce at UTSG was one of them, at least last year). Otherwise, repeated courses are not an issue.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chiqua99 chiqua99
I suck at English. I think my average will be around 75. The kids at my school are crazy good at English, so relative to their work, my work is sub-par. How do I bring it up to at least 80 by mid February? Is it even possible? Most of my mark are pretty solid, I just really need to do better in English!! HELP!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chiqua99 chiqua99
Is anyone here reading Fugitive Pieces by Anne Michaels?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of jelly jelly
Isn't that... what he said..?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Joshki Joshki

Rotman Commerce at UTSG was one of them,

:bounce:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
Last time I checked SG standed for St. George...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Slasher61 Slasher61
Statistically, this is the hardest course in my school. I was told if you get an 80% or higher you did really well, and I finished with an 84.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of emilyclairem emilyclairem
It's not too bad this year, but that's coming from an English student. We're reading Heart of Darkness, King Lear, and the Wars, and they're definitely the hardest books out of all the four years of high school, but as long as you actually read them and take notes while the teacher is talking, you should be good. Some of my friends have read 1984 for their classes, and none of them really liked it, but I like George Orwell so I'm not sure about that one. I really liked King Lear, not quite as good as Hamlet nor Romeo and Juliet, but definitely better than Macbeth.

My advice is to really listen to the teacher and do readings on the books outside of the classroom and you should be good!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Slasher61 wrote
Statistically, this is the hardest course in my school. I was told if you get an 80% or higher you did really well, and I finished with an 84.

Yes... It's why not many math or science HS student likes this class. It's (almost) completely based on your teacher, and if she likes, or dis-likes you (*kiss* *kiss* =D/lol), at our school a great mark is around 88. NO 90S 4 U!
Was this helpful? Yes 0