yconic - Engineering admissions
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Engineering admissions

A photo of nakhuda93 nakhuda93
Well I was reading in a Mclean's mag from 07 about how in Ontario some universities adjust marks from different high schools in Ontario because according to them not all schools are equal. I was just wondering if there was a list of which schools do this if they still do and if there is anyway to find out how much they adjust my marks by.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of chatmike chatmike
Yeah i also heard that. People were scared in my school because our teachers told us that the universities said our high school had a disproportional amount of people getting high grades and they will judge us harder. When they started telling that rumor a few years ago, no one in the graduating class got into Mac health sci... coincidence?! Who knows, my guess is it was a trick by the teachers to make us work harder XD

In truth, you'd probably KNOW if the universities don't like your high school due to 90% of your grade getting 90s, so don't waste energy being paranoid.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nakhuda93 nakhuda93
See that goes both ways for my school. I mean there are people getting 100% in calc but they are legit geniuses, and I think my school (Dunbarton high school)also has a good rep with most universities. You think they would tell me if i just emailed them?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kyleigh711 kyleigh711
The only school that I know for sure does this is Waterloo. They grade the schools based on how the students did in first year. Some high schools have lots of people who do well simply because the school has a program that attracts high achievers, so they definitely dont rank a school lower because it has lots of grads with 90+ averages.

Try calling the schools. I doubt they will tell you how your school is ranked but you could ask anyways. I am pretty sure they have to at least tell you if they rank schools or not. And I am 95% sure that mac healthsci doesnt...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AsianFail93 AsianFail93

@nakhuda93 wrote
See that goes both ways for my school. I mean there are people getting 100% in calc but they are legit geniuses, and I think my school (Dunbarton high school)also has a good rep with most universities. You think they would tell me if i just emailed them?

You can ask your teachers or guidance counselors. They're usually pretty open on saying how well the school ranks in terms of what universities think. FWIW, here is a relative ranking where the information used is provided by a standardized test. I would not say this is completely indicative of the performance of the school.

But for ranking schools, I don't believe they would be that unethical to lower an applicant's grade just because of the school they went to (aside from private school - but that's a separate topic). It is possible that applicants from a school with less mark inflation may be considered over a person at a school which is known for mark inflation.

Just my opinion on this topic.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of arviny arviny
UW did announce that they adjust averages based on your high school since a 90 at school A isn't a 90 in school B. I suspect it's based on how much the average drops or goes up for first year students at waterloo compared to their high school averages.
As well they probably have weight factors for different subjects, for example when calculating your top6 they would put more weight on calculus or english (just a theory of mine =P)

At A.Y. Jackson S.S. they bump your average for waterloo since the school is very tough and students that are currently in uni that I know of (McMaster/UW/UTSG) have experienced no drop in their averages. Also the school does pretty well in Euclid math competition since the math department is very hard.

Another thing I would like to point out is to ignore the Fraser HS rankings, it's complete bullcrap! Best way to rank schools for UW is based on Euclid math competition HS rankings, shows how well the math department teaches at each school. I can tell you this because I've been to Bayview Secondary School (ranked 3rd by Fraser, but aprox 50th on Euclid), and all the departments in the school except chemistry are SOFT....compared to A.Y. Jackson S.S. (not ranked on Fraser, always ranks aprox top10 on Euclid) that I have also attended where all the departments are hard and prepare you well for Uni...not to say that Bayview is a bad school, just saying AYJ is much harder and you can't trust Fraser rankings.
Was this helpful? Yes 0