yconic - Engineering and Medicine?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Engineering and Medicine?

A photo of allgpa allgpa
i'm wondering if it is possible to do an undergrad degree in engineering and then get into medical school. i know there is no preferred undergrad for getting into medicine but i have heard that engineering has a tough course load and i might not be able to fit in the med school pre reqs.

any of you guys have more information on this?

i'm in gr 11 right now and am planning on going to UBC.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of MYDARKHEALTHSCIFANTASY MYDARKHEALTHSCIFANTASY
Not too sure about the pre-reqs, but I know for sure that you'll have a hard time fitting in the prereqs, seeing as how engineering is an accredited program and you're required to take a certain (read: 30-34) hours of class a week
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
It will be difficult for you to get the prereqs for med school, but some schools require less courses than others. I know a few people who did a biomed specialization at the U of A, which requires an extra semester of course work, and then went to med school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
It's possible but it'll probably be a longer road because engineers don't have a lot of electives. My friends at UW chem eng have had 3 electives in 4 years of school. It would be pretty hard to fulfill all your prereqs that way unless you're only considering applying to med schools without prereqs. One of my friend's is aiming for med school and he did a biomed eng degree for undergrad and is now in a Master's of biomed eng degree because he couldn't apply straight out of undergrad since he didn't have all the prereqs fulfilled.
Was this helpful? Yes 0