yconic - Engineering Class Sizes at UofT!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Engineering Class Sizes at UofT!

A photo of JRT JRT
I was wondering what the class sizes for each of the core 8 programs were and the boy to girl ratio

and, is it hard to get into the courses you need? Has anyone been placed on the waiting list?

Chemical Engineering
Civil Engineering
Computer Engineering
Electrical Engineering
Industrial (Systems) Engineering
Materials Science and Engineering
Mechanical Engineering
Mineral Engineering
TrackOne
Engineering Science

Thank you for your help :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of obesechicken13 obesechicken13
Well for ECE's my first year entering class size was something like 450, it's 320 now in second year... although I think we lost 18 so 302. Girls occupy 14% of the class size. I can't remember where I got the 14% statistic.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of bijanv bijanv
Really? in my ECE classes we were broken down into classes of about 80 for first and second year and in third and fourth year I've had most classes around 20-25 people with some being about 8-12 people.

Guy to girl ratio can range from 10:1 to 1:1 depending on the discipline.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JRT JRT
400 seems a bit off the chart.. way off the chart..
the most i was expecting was 150 MAX

around 100 would be crowded already...

do you guys have any trouble getting into the courses you need for engineering?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Kristofer Kristofer
I suppose oc13 meant that there was a total of 450 ece students which were split into different lecture and tutorial sections.

In engineering science there were 300 students but the lectures have about 150 students each. There were about 30 students in my tutorials (but some of them were as low as 20 or as high as 60 or more)

Honestly, I would say that the boy to girl ratio in my eng sci year is 1:1 but it is at least less than 2:1.

There is no trouble getting into courses (this is true for first year and I would assume second year as well as upper years in most cases). You get put into courses automatically and your schedule is made for you. The only trouble there could be is if you are in eng sci and chose the accelerated computer science course in which case you would have an elective in second semester.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JRT JRT

@Kristofer wrote
I suppose oc13 meant that there was a total of 450 ece students which were split into different lecture and tutorial sections.

In engineering science there were 300 students but the lectures have about 150 students each. There were about 30 students in my tutorials (but some of them were as low as 20 or as high as 60 or more)

Honestly, I would say that the boy to girl ratio in my eng sci year is 1:1 but it is at least less than 2:1.

There is no trouble getting into courses (this is true for first year and I would assume second year as well as upper years in most cases). You get put into courses automatically and your schedule is made for you. The only trouble there could be is if you are in eng sci and chose the accelerated computer science course in which case you would have an elective in second semester.

Thank you!
Was this helpful? Yes 0