yconic - Engineering Co-op: Where's best, and how likely am I to find a job there?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Engineering Co-op: Where's best, and how likely am I to find a job there?

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hi all,

I'm a grade 12 student and I'm having some trouble deciding between Waterloo (for Chemical Engineering) and Queen's University (for their general first-year engineering program). I was previously set on Queen's University - I've heard great things, I love the campus, and the student life there is apparently amazing - but I really want co-op/internship experience before I graduate, and I know their internship program isn't too big, or reputable. I'm almost certain that I'll get this at Waterloo, but the downside is that the campus and student life are lesser (in my opinion) to that of Queen's.

Can anyone offer some insight on the chances of getting an internship through QUIP at Queen's? Or is Waterloo student life good enough that I should just go there?

Thanks in advance.:chef:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of ninetyfour ninetyfour
If you really want to gain the work experience while doing your undergrad, I would highly suggest University of Waterloo. From what I've heard from recent Queen's graduates, the engineering program is slowly deteriorating (I don't claim this true by any means, it's just what I've heard).

As for the social life, I've heard the rumours as well about the lack of student life at Waterloo. However, I honestly think that it is what you make of it - Waterloo is home to two large universities, I'm sure that the student life isn't that bad.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cpeister cpeister
As a Waterloo Eng student, co-op was the largest factor in my decision. Getting 2 years of work experience is a huge bonus to this program. The co-op at Waterloo is integrated into the academic curriculum, whereas at many other schools it is treated as 'do it if you want, tell us and we'll put a sticker on your degree'.

I am not too involved in the social scene here, but rest assured that there is still stuff going on. As good as Queen's? Possibly not. But there is certainly still stuff going on.

My advice: GO TO WATERLOO!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of imaginaryengineer imaginaryengineer

but the downside is that the campus and student life are lesser (in my opinion) to that of Queen's.

Check out the waterloo campus. Its really a matter of your own opinion.

Also consider some other uni's with good intership programs? UofA,Uoft etc.

Was this helpful? Yes 0