yconic - Engineering? Does it matter where I go?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Engineering? Does it matter where I go?

A photo of sascer520 sascer520
I've been using this forum since the beginning of this year now. I wish I had known about it earlier in grade 11. But, I've seen UofT, Waterloo, Western, Carleton, McGill, UBC, as Top choices for engineering amongst fellow applicants. I have decided to stay local and I applied to UofT, Ryerson, York, UOIT, and also to Waterloo and Western. I got into:

York-Engineering
Ryerson- Engineering
UOIT-engineering
UofT-engineering

All of these, for an undeclared, General First Year, Track-one engineering. But now I have a problem of where to go. I feel as if I choose to go to UOIT, Ryerson, or York I will be looked down upon, but on the other hand I can choose to go to UofT. It is a good school, but I heard that it is really tough, and I don't want to spend 3 hours on commuting each day. And the reason why I decided to stay local was mostly due to financial circumstances. I didn't want to gamble with bank loans to pay off the residence fees.

So, does it really matter which university I choose to go to for my undergrad? I plan on doing an MBA afterwards or and Meng, or go straight into the workforce.

Also, if you were me, and you were to choose based on the schools that I have been accepted to, what would you rank your choices?Why?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of StellaSparx StellaSparx
If you're planning on graduate studies, U of T hands down!

I would rank them as follows:
1. U of T - Awesome research uni, lots of connections, and Canada's prestigious school.
2. Ryerson - You can go to the Eaton centre and shop everyday!
3. York - Meh, nothing special for eng.
4. UOIT - not a well recognizable school yet, may hurt your chances for jobs, graduate school.

This is just my opinion tho :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of engineersrock engineersrock

@StellaSparx wrote

Wow, now that's a deal breaker.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of StellaSparx StellaSparx

@engineersrock wrote

@StellaSparx wrote

Wow, now that's a deal breaker.

LOL! You know it's true, why else would people go there? :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of caveman caveman

@StellaSparx wrote
If you're planning on graduate studies, U of T hands down!

I would rank them as follows:
1. U of T - Awesome research uni, lots of connections, and Canada's prestigious school.
3. York - Meh, nothing special for eng.
4. UOIT - not a well recognizable school yet, may hurt your chances for jobs, graduate school.

This is just my opinion tho :)

I didn't even know York had engineering. I would've thought UOIT would be better (know some grads from there, they're pretty smart), but I'm just guessing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of threepointonefour threepointonefour
Take a long look at the three hours of commuting. That will be rough, and it could seriously affect your performance.

As for the prestige factor, it does depend on what you want. MBA's and industry are not that selective when it comes to what school you went to. In fact, from my experience, industry doesn't even really care about your marks. If you can show to them that you're smart enough (passing), have some drive and ingenuity (maybe competitions) and have a life outside of school (ECs) they will love you. I go to the U of C, which isn't the highest prestige school. I've received multiple job offers this week alone, although it helps that oil and gas is picking up again.

Really, you can create success anywhere you go. If a shorter commute time means you'll be able to take on leadership roles like being a big part of an engineering club, or participating in ECs, it could very well be worth it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
U of T is the top research university of the four, BUT (and it's a big but) as an undergrad it can be incredibly competitive to get involved in research. The prof I TA for has received over 60 applications for 4 spots in his lab. When I wanted a research position at the U of A, I had my pick of professors and projects, because most students were just there to get a degree then get a "real" job.
Was this helpful? Yes 0