yconic - Engineering for a premed student. Is it doable??
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Engineering for a premed student. Is it doable??

A photo of champ4 champ4
I got into Ryerson's undeclared engineering program. Im kind of leaning towards biomedical engineering right now and I want to become a doctor. Is it possible to maintain a GPA high enough for medical school? I like the idea of a solid plan B but many people say that its an unnecessary risk. What are your thoughts?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Its not unheard of...but keep in mind that if you take a degree in biomedical engineering you will most likely have to go to grad school since its still fairly new.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thePurpleEngineer thePurpleEngineer
Go for it. You can accomplish anything if you put your mind to it.

Plus, you may not even want to become a doctor once you realize what you can accomplish as a biomedical engineer.

Doctors only get to TREAT one patient using drugs/tools available to them, but biomedical engineers actually get to CURE diseases and DEVELOP A SOLUTION to a biomedical problem that affects thousands of patients.

I personally would want to become a biomedical engineer more so than a doctor, but hey, that's just me. (Actually, I don't want to become either to be honest... I'm more of an analog IC type of guy...)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@champ4 wrote
I got into Ryerson's undeclared engineering program. Im kind of leaning towards biomedical engineering right now and I want to become a doctor. Is it possible to maintain a GPA high enough for medical school? I like the idea of a solid plan B but many people say that its an unnecessary risk. What are your thoughts?

Certainly not impossible, but engineering undergrad is not an ideal path to med school.

It's not so much the difficulty as it is the relevance of what you learn. A medical school student is not going to need multivariable calculus or physics or programming - he needs biology and chemistry. Yes you will get to learn bio and chem in engineering but you have to suffer through the calculus and physics at the same time and in the end you've learned all that crap for nothing.

In life science, you're pretty much done with such courses after first year and then you focus exclusively on med school relevant material. So life science is a better path to med school. It's not easier or harder, just more fruitful.

Biomed engineering should be a path to, well, biomed engineering. You know, stuff like modelling DNA with computers or connecting prosthetic limbs to the nervous system. It ties in to med school work but makes good use of all those extra things you learned besides bio/chem.
Was this helpful? Yes 0