yconic - Engineering in Universities
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Engineering in Universities

A photo of feppy feppy
Hello guys!

I am a new member here, heard about this site and community a few days ago and thought I would join. I just want to talk in this post and have a question! :)

Right now I am looking to study computer engineering, and just two days ago I received an offer from UBC Vancouver, and it is at the top of my list. It's a 30 minute drive from where I live, and I plan to stay on residence if I go there (love the campus, the location, and since it's in my city that I've lived in for over 13 years. However, the University of Toronto is even higher on my list, but I am waiting to hear from them. I want to go to Toronto and study there since from my research I have understood that it has a much more prestigious engineering department, career opportunities will be better, and the experience will be better for me (both fun, as it is a big city with a good nightlife, and I can be around people who study and get the job done when they need to. Plus there is less emphasis on hockey, a sport which I don't like and they have an NBA team there, love basketball!). One question I had is that I see a lot of you guys have either applied to either Mississauga or St. Georges in U of T, but when I was applying I did not see any option like that. At my application status, this is what I see:

Check marks indicate your residence interest for your U of T applications. If your interest has changed, please check or uncheck the box(es).

1-Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering - Computer Engineering

When I looked at my friends' pages, they have the same thing but different course (sciences), and in parenthesis it says their campus. This may or may not be an issue, but do you think there is a problem there? Or is it just one particular campus offers my program, and so I did not need to change?

Secondly, I take the IB diploma program and I know that if I get a certain mark in my courses after the final exam, I can be exempt from some first year courses, especially at UBC Vancouver. Do you guys think this is wise to do if I get that mark? I'm thinking about it, and I have some thoughts. Firstly, it can be beneficial because the amount of work I do is lessened, and I can have time for other activities or take other courses in replacement of them (if that is possible, idk). However, I was thinking and thought that couldn't these courses be used to boost up my GPA? Using them to get a higher average? I also thought, couldn't I be losing some experience in the class, as I could be making some new friends and I could get to know more people? Whereas if I didn't take the course I would know less people? Or does this not matter, and most of my friends will be from my activities / residence?

Here's to my first post! :)
Thanks guys
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of ChronosKey ChronosKey
Engineering is only offered at Downtown St. George, thus there is no problem.

I would recommend sticking to the courses at UofT. I know for UW there are no transfer credits whatsoever for AP/IB. For good reason I would think, since there is a lot that may not be covered and UofT has a similar curriculum to UW's I would assume.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of feppy feppy

@ChronosKey wrote

I would recommend sticking to the courses at UofT. I know for UW there are no transfer credits whatsoever for AP/IB. For good reason I would think, since there is a lot that may not be covered and UofT has a similar curriculum to UW's I would assume.

Oh, that explains it! I also see you got into engineering sciences at U of T, congrats! That's amazing. I have a friend that also got in, and he is getting a 43 in his IB diploma, which is insane. Thanks a lot for your answer!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
Even if you get the credit, I would take the course if I were you. You obviously can't know 100% of the material since the curriculum is different, and even if it does turn out to be a waste of time it should be an easy A for you than. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I only used my IB credit for my non-engineering electives, and I filled the courses with other courses anyways, so I never took a reduced course load. One of my friends used her IB credit to not have to take a first year option, had a reduced course load, and it came back to bite her in the a$$. I went to the U of A, which has a general first year and competitive entry into the second year disciplines. Because she took a reduced course load, they reduced her GPA, and since it wasn't that good in the first place, she didn't get into the discipline she wanted. It worked out in the end though, she was very happy where she ended up and is successfully working now.

Things like how popular hockey is shouldn't really affect your decision making. Prestige shouldn't really matter either. Wanting better career opportunities is totally valid, and you should definitely plan to go to the place that you think can allow you to be most successful.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TheCatherine TheCatherine

@ChronosKey wrote

lies, waterloo does offer transfer credits. my friend got in waterloo for math and his higher level chemistry grade (5/7) offered him 2 credited courses in first year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ninetyfour ninetyfour

@TheCatherine wrote

@ChronosKey wrote

lies, waterloo does offer transfer credits. my friend got in waterloo for math and his higher level chemistry grade (5/7) offered him 2 credited courses in first year.

Depends on the faculty, UW Engineering offers no transfer credits for IB.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ChronosKey ChronosKey
Right, I should have clarified. UW gives a good explanation for why they do not accept IB credits for Engineering here: http://www.findoutmore.uwaterloo.ca/admissions/ib.php

and thanks feppy =]
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LindaS LindaS
Ya, UT engineering doesnt do transfer credits. There goes all my AP credits :( Oh well, atleast I got to keep the knowlage and experience :P

Hey I'm going into computer engineering too and UT is also my first choice. Hope I see you next year!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of feppy feppy
Thanks guys for the comments! I have a quick question - my status changed to "Application under review by Admissions Committee" when I checked this morning. Normally I would think this means what it means, which is that they have received my transcripts so they can start processing my application. However, at the bottom it does not indicate any 'documents' or 'packages' that have been received since they are blank. Am I just worrying too much and I should give it some time or do you guys think I should call them and check to see if they have received my transcripts yet?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of doer doer
It took them 3 or 4 weeks to show that they received my packages on portal and then 2 more weeks to open it LOL. So it will take them awhile. You can call them to make sure if they receive it or not, but sometimes they might say that due to a large amount of applications, it will take them awhile. That's what they told me when I called them Goodluck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of feppy feppy

@doer wrote
It took them 3 or 4 weeks to show that they received my packages on portal and then 2 more weeks to open it LOL. So it will take them awhile. You can call them to make sure if they receive it or not, but sometimes they might say that due to a large amount of applications, it will take them awhile. That's what they told me when I called them Goodluck!

Oh ok, so I guess they have received it but just not updated it yet. Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0