yconic - Engineering Question
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Engineering Question

A photo of MsEng MsEng
Sorry, this may be a stupid question, but when your in first year engineering and have all the general courses as say, a chemical engineer, would a software, mechanical, biomedical, computer, etc. engineer share any of the classes with you?

Like would a chemical and a software engineer both be in the same calculus class taught by the same professor?

Thanks in advance :3
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
Depends on the school. Are you talking about a general first year? Then definitely yes you will all be in the same classes regardless of what discipline you go into in your second year. In my second year (in mechanical) I often had math classes with people from other disciplines.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MsEng MsEng

@ktel wrote
Depends on the school. Are you talking about a general first year? Then definitely yes you will all be in the same classes regardless of what discipline you go into in your second year. In my second year (in mechanical) I often had math classes with people from other disciplines.

Thank you! and no, I was not talking about general first year. I was talking about starting disciplined engineering, like chemical or mechanical etc. :)

Thanks <3
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of WaterfallOfDestiny WaterfallOfDestiny
You'll take some courses with students from other disciplines (except for EngSci's). For example, Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Engineering Strategies & Practices will be the same; on the other hand, chemistry, computer programming, and mechanics/dynamics courses will vary.

In case you're super curious, the 2012-2013 academic calendar lists the courses taken in each discipline.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of plato plato
At Waterloo, every program has separate classes, except for ECE, which is blended until term 2B.
Was this helpful? Yes 0