yconic - Engineering Science - University of Toronto - Official Thread !
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Engineering Science - University of Toronto - Official Thread !

A photo of IronMan IronMan
Hey All,

I recently received an offer to Engineering science at UofT and I defenitely plan to attend!! I will be happy to know more of you accepted and gonna be my classmates next year! lol

[size=7]Engineering Science - Class of 2015 - University of Toronto![/size]

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
41 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
You know I'll be there :cheers:

Other than that visit the Engineering Class of 1T5 on facebook if you havent done so already.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/University-of-Toronto-Engineering-Class-of-2015/209734742392137

Quite a few EngScis there
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of alphaengineer alphaengineer
Have fun wasting 4 years of your life to get no job ....or grad school for that matter, since your GPA will be 2.5. :cheers:

You've fallen victim the greatest academic marketing scam. But the brochure is nice, right? Count how many engineers they profile in that brochure, zero. Because there are no EngSci engineers, only battered souls.

Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of mathemusician mathemusician

@alphaengineer wrote
Have fun wasting 4 years of your life to get no job ....or grad school for that matter, since your GPA will be 2.5. :cheers:

You've fallen victim the greatest academic marketing scam. But the brochure is nice, right? Count how many engineers they profile in that brochure, zero. Because there are no EngSci engineers, only battered souls.

+1
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Have fun wasting 4 years of your life to get no job ....or grad school for that matter, since your GPA will be 2.5.

There is no point after what you are saying!! UofT is the best engineering school in Canada and 13th in the world in other words it has a strong reputation and therefore will help me get into grad school. It is true that eng sci program is one of the top programs in the world and also one of the hardest but if there is will there is a way. this has been my ideology from long time agao. Now if you are a looser and are posting this because you are jealous and just can't go for the program because you are not strong academically enough let your opinions for yourself. believe that everything is possible and who knows I can get a really good GPA!! But that's definetly a dream school for everyone seeking a worthy engineering degree!! It's just awsome and besides I am not going to univ to have fun!! I am not going to waste tons of money on fun!! I am going to study and study hard to reach my far fetched goals and I have a strong ambition and desire to come top and show the world that eng sci is not at ll what you guyz think of and remember Miracles do happen. I am not saying I m not considering having fun a little bit but studies are a priority !! and I am totally sure that in a job interview they will look at who you are more than your GPA ( it is just a number no more no less) and the PEY at UofT is amazing. Nonetheless, I am considering grad school so the eng sci program is a good preperatiopn for me !! otherwise, what do you suggest ?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IneedHalp IneedHalp
lol ironman don't let that artsci bleep troll you,

in 4 years time, he won't get a job and will bendover to us engineers

i also chose uoft for similar reasons like you, basically their rank/reputation and PeY except im in electrical :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@IneedHalp wrote
lol ironman don't let that artsci bleep troll you,

in 4 years time, he won't get a job and will bendover to us engineers

i also chose uoft for similar reasons like you, basically their rank/reputation and PeY except im in electrical :)

So see you there next year lol !!! hey, tell me actually, I have received my offer through Join UofT but my applicant portal and OUAC are still pending is that normal ? also did you get any offer for residence cause I still haven't got any residence offer? are you international student ? if so , how much time did it take for you to receive your admission package ?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@IronMan wrote

Have fun wasting 4 years of your life to get no job ....or grad school for that matter, since your GPA will be 2.5.

There is no point after what you are saying!! UofT is the best engineering school in Canada and 13th in the world in other words it has a strong reputation and therefore will help me get into grad school. It is true that eng sci program is one of the top programs in the world and also one of the hardest but if there is will there is a way. this has been my ideology from long time agao. Now if you are a looser and are posting this because you are jealous and just can't go for the program because you are not strong academically enough let your opinions for yourself. believe that everything is possible and who knows I can get a really good GPA!! But that's definetly a dream school for everyone seeking a worthy engineering degree!! It's just awsome and besides I am not going to univ to have fun!! I am not going to waste tons of money on fun!! I am going to study and study hard to reach my far fetched goals and I have a strong ambition and desire to come top and show the world that eng sci is not at ll what you guyz think of and remember Miracles do happen. I am not saying I m not considering having fun a little bit but studies are a priority !! and I am totally sure that in a job interview they will look at who you are more than your GPA ( it is just a number no more no less) and the PEY at UofT is amazing. Nonetheless, I am considering grad school so the eng sci program is a good preperatiopn for me !! otherwise, what do you suggest ?

Your high school mean nothing in Eng Sci. Even with spending every waking hour studying, your GPA will be pathetic.

You take the hardest foundational years in north america only to take upper year course with arts & science students who have not been sober for two years.

You wont actually be an engineer, because their is no engineering science licensing body. Try explaining that to your employers.....

I declined my Eng Sci offer, and steered clear of UT all together.

Do whatever you like....search the board for current students talking about eng sci.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of WaterfallOfDestiny WaterfallOfDestiny
alphaengineer, you are quite misinformed when it comes to EngSci. You're right, there is no licensing body geared towards Engineering Science - nor for any specific engineering discipline. Professional Engineers of Ontario looks at all "engineering" programs. Because EngSci is accredited, EngSci's have the same opportunities to become licensed engineers as in any other stream, at U of T, Waterloo, or otherwise.

Everyone has to take upper-year courses with ArtSci's at some point (things like humanities electives), and depending on which Option you take, you won't see Science students in your technical classes either.

While there's a running joke that we're learning a bunch of theories in lieu of hands-on job training and will never get a job, the reality is that engineering students (including EngSci's) are in demand in our labour market.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I totally agree with waterfallofdestiny and I am thankful for the helpful information!! Though I would really appreciate if you can help with some questions. I would like you if possible to let me know how to buy books from previous students that would be cheaper wouldn't it be? Also, give me an idea about frosh week and student orientation? How difficult are the exams ? I lately saw the lessons you guyz take in first year and I ve already taken some at High school for example I studied Classical mechanics ( the 3 laws of newton in physics ) also quantum mechanics, I studied eclectrical circuits RLC , LC and RL and many other stuff that you guyz take in fist year and wanted to know if I am right ? and if studying all this before in high school would give me an advantage ? thanks in advance

UofT Engineering Science 1T5
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@IronMan wrote
I totally agree with waterfallofdestiny and I am thankful for the helpful information!!

You agree with him because he reinforced your - already solidified - misconceptions. Good luck with praxis using that logic.

Lets examine this scenario.

Employer: So, you are applying for our Civil Engineer opening, I presume you have a civil engineering degree?

You: Actually, I have an Engineering Science degree, Infrastructure Planning option.

Employer: Engineering what? We're looking for a civil engineer with a civil engineering degree. What are you talking about.

You: I have an Engineering Science degree, which just means I studied all engineering specializations for two years, then I specialized in infrastructure planning for the following two years.

Employer: You spent two years studying everything and two years studying infrastructure planning.... and you expect me to give you a job building bridges and roads?

You: Yes sir, I can even build an autonomous robot for you.

Employer: OMFG, are you kidding me? Get out of my office.

Seriously, save your time, energy and money if you already know what you want to specialize in.

Read this and come back with something to add:

http://www.studentawards.com/forum.aspx?g=posts&t=3248

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inyoface inyoface

@alphaengineer wrote

snip.

Where are you getting this from? I have friends in second year engsci working for TTC and the Ministry of Transportation. Your rant is in no way relevant to the OP's post. I understand if you really love Waterloo, but why are you trashing UofT in a post that does not ask for such opinion? To be honest, you are more than anything, discouraging people from going to Waterloo with your rants. You come across as an bleep. There's no other way of putting it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@alphaengineer wrote

@IronMan wrote
I totally agree with waterfallofdestiny and I am thankful for the helpful information!!

You agree with him because he reinforced your - already solidified - misconceptions. Good luck with praxis using that logic.

Employer: So, you are applying for our Civil Engineer opening, I presume you have a civil engineering degree?

You: Actually, I have an Engineering Science degree, Infrastructure Planning option.

Employer: Engineering what? We're looking for a civil engineer with a civil engineering degree. What are you talking about.

You: I have an Engineering Science degree, which just means I studied all engineering specializations for two years, then I specialized in infrastructure planning for the following two years.

Employer: You spent two years studying everything and two years studying infrastructure planning.... and you expect me to give you a job building bridges and roads?

Seriously, save your time, energy and money if you already know what you want to specialize in.

well, that really put into doubt. Thanks in advance , but please check the new forum i started UBC vs UofT engineering. I talked about my attributes and goals and maybe by reading it you may help me further!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of christice christice

@IronMan wrote
Hey All,

I recently received an offer to Engineering science at UofT and I defenitely plan to attend!! I will be happy to know more of you accepted and gonna be my classmates next year! lol

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

congratz!!!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@christice wrote

@IronMan wrote
Hey All,

congratz!!!!!

Thanks a Lot I am so happy, I received it on May 28th really close to the deadline! I am still waiting for my admission package that I will receive this monday! however, I have no residence offer yet! really strange do you know anything about residence offers? Hopefully Innis residence!
:cheers: :cheers:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Engineering Science 1T5
Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering
University of Toronto
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of WaterfallOfDestiny WaterfallOfDestiny

@alphaengineer wrote

@IronMan wrote

alphaengineer, you didn't even bother to form a rebuttal to my statements, instead waving them off as "misconceptions." What does that say about your ability to defend your opinion? Or are you simply refusing to admit that you are lying across the board?

Also FYI, I'm not a "him."

@IronMan wrote
I would like you if possible to let me know how to buy books from previous students that would be cheaper wouldn't it be? Also, give me an idea about frosh week and student orientation? How difficult are the exams ? I lately saw the lessons you guyz take in first year and I ve already taken some at High school for example I studied Classical mechanics ( the 3 laws of newton in physics ) also quantum mechanics, I studied eclectrical circuits RLC , LC and RL and many other stuff that you guyz take in fist year and wanted to know if I am right ? and if studying all this before in high school would give me an advantage ?

The EngSci online orientation blog, which is designed to help you familiarize yourself with EngSci life, will answer your first two questions. Nicole (your First-Year Counsellor) will email everyone with the link this week.

The difficulty of the exams is hard to judge. You can study as much as you want, but be sure to get enough sleep because there's more "thinking" involved compared to memorization. You can take a look at past exams if you want, but don't stress out if you can't answer the questions (that's why you have 4 months to learn the concepts!):

Classical Mechanics is essentially Grade 12 Physics review (for those from Ontario high schools). Off the top of my head, there are Newton's 3 Laws, momentum, kinetic/potential/elastic energy, kinematics, and force/tension problems.

Electrical circuits is almost all new material, so you'll definitely be at an advantage if you've already studied RLC/LC/RL circuits.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LRooke LRooke
AlphaEngineer is a dolt.

Also, FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Classical Mechanics is essentially Grade 12 Physics review (for those from Ontario high schools). Off the top of my head, there are Newton's 3 Laws, momentum, kinetic/potential/elastic energy, kinematics, and force/tension problems.

Yeah I defenitely studies all that and some more advanced claasical mechanics !! do guyz study Nucluar physics and sound, electric and water waves because I have studied that too hat about quantum mechanics ?
Can you also post the math courses I will be taking !! because I took so many advanced math for example complex numerbs , probility , expanentials , Continuity , Functions deriviation , Differential equation , Integral calculus and so many others !! I just want to know how this will help me be at an advantage ? Thanks in advance

I heard there are some books that I won't use much they are just useless! is that true ? if so what are they ? do you advise me to buy them ?

Oh and I haven't received an offer of residence yet, I have just received an admission letter and a scolarship letter ( I am an international student ). I really wish to be given an offer to Innis residence do you think if there is sthg I can do to get it regardless of hoping I don't want definetely to be put at 89 Chestnut because I can't afford it lol do you advise me to mention only Innis in my RPF ? because this is what I did but I tought I may add victoria since it also has an appart style !! what do you think ? Thanks again

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of timg123 timg123
Everything that alphaengineer has said is true to a certain extent. He may have exagerated slightly, but most of it is actually true. I just finished my first year in Engsci and I'm switching into Industrial. I came in with the exact same excitement and ambition as most of you but for me personally, I found the program quite challenging. Now, the reason why I switched was because I didn't find any value in the extra work that Engscis are so familiar with. The fact is most employers don't care what program you go to, let alone your GPA. If you're looking to do research (grad school), then by all means, Engsci is a terrific program which provides you with a strong theoretical background.

Looking back, I still don't regret choosing this program despite the many flaws. It puts you through humility, but in the long run, I think it benefited me as a person. I met some (note my emphasis) great people and look forward to next year. Good luck IT5s, if any of you need textbooks let me know.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@alphaengineer wrote

@IronMan wrote

You receive most of your engineering training on the job, that's why it takes you 5 years to become a P Eng. Even a civil engineering graduate isn't fully qualified to build bridges and roads straight out of university. I know so many graduates who aren't even working in the field they got their degree in. MechEs doing ChemE or CivE work, etc.

And IronMan, you're not going to get into grad school based on reputation. You need a good GPA and hopefully some research experience.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I am defenitely to go to grad school as I am determined to work hard and get a good GPA at UofT even if it is hard as all people say. You might consider this silly for an unexperienced future freshman student but when I want to reach sthg I do everything in my power and no can stop me even failure!! that's why my friends call me Ironman because it is also the meaning of my true name, so yeah I know ppl will tell me we used to be like you and then you will be exhausted etc but I won't because I have a great willing and a great goal and motivation. I can't even think about my parents who are making a tremendous financial sacrifice to send from my home country to study at UofT. I totally know it is not only based on reputation but insomeway it does count as when a school has a student from UofT for exemple and is succesful with his studies there they are likely to take someone coming from UofT rathar than someone coming from an unknown school or which has a pretty good reputation I don't if you get what I mean. I have a cousin studying at UPenn ( Ivy League Institution ) and I know what I am saying because he used to volunteer at the admission office! I know also that GPA matters but UofT mentions the class average in the transcripts. Besides, they are more interested in your researches and every that might put you at an advantage compaired to other students ( ie. PEY or a summer internship, ECs etc)

Please disregard any grammar mistakes because I write too fast and don't give attention to grammar and spelling!!
________________________________________________________________________________________
UofT - Engineering Science - Class of 2015
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I'm just saying U of T seemed to care less about where I went to school. I'm glad that you're planning on getting a good GPA and research experience, because that's going to mean a heck of a lot more than just the fact that you went to U of T.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks!! I am defenitely planing to succeed at UofT !! And I am really looking forward to begin classes at September and F!rosh week :p I hope to see you there! Who knows we may one day be working on same lab !! oh what residence are you planing for next year ?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
It is quite possible I could be your TA if you do the aerospace option. My supervisor is Dr. Zingg, something about him makes me feel like he doesn't take many undergraduate students, but I could be wrong. I'm not living in residence, my boyfriend and I are renting an off-campus house or apartment.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

oh is that right but I tought girls have never been TA at UofT since there are few in the engineering stream I mean compaired to males !! Anyway, I wanted to ask you about mech eng as well. Actually, before applying to Eng Sci I tought that Mech is the best fit for me because I really like smart robots design but I really don't know if that falls into mech any ideas ? so I decided to apply to eng sci for grad school and also because in the program there is robots design and projects ( it's really awsome ) and I will have the chance to discover all engineering areas before getting to choose which major ! thanks in ad !
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I'm sure there are plenty of female engineering TAs. Typically about 25-30% of an undergraduate engineering population will be female. Unfortunately that tends to drop a bit for post-graduate studies, however there will still be plenty of female engineering grad students at U of T (I met several when I was invited to the MIE open house).

I personally think Mech Eng is the broadest engineering discipline. Pretty much everything that moves and then some falls into the discipline, so robots definitely would too. I know a few Mec E professors at the U of A who work with robots and autonomous vehicles. That's why I chose Mec E anyways, to leave me with the most options
Was this helpful? Yes 0