yconic - Engineering Science Vs Electrical Engineering
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Engineering Science Vs Electrical Engineering

A photo of LordHades LordHades
Hello folks,

I was wondering what the difference is between engineering science and electrical engineering at the University of Toronto. I have been admitted to TrackOne, although I put electrical engineering as my second choice on the SPF.

Also, since I've already been admitted to TrackOne, can I still request an alternate offer to Engineering Science? And how do I go about it?

Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of ChronosKey ChronosKey
Eng sci is considered one of the most prestigious and difficult undergrad programs in Canada. Eng sci covers various engineering disciplines and is basically grad school fodder. Just take a look at the courses and their course descriptions online.

If you didn't apply to eng sci already (if it's not in your top 5 choices) it might be difficult. Although if you wanna be an electrical engineer, it's probably best to not go through the hell of eng sci and just do track one and electrical engineering. By the way, from track one, eng sci is the only engineering program you can't transfer to afterwards.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of EngSci1T5 EngSci1T5
I wouldn't really say that engineering science is grad school fodder, but getting a good mark in engsci definitely stands out more that getting a good mark in any other program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thank you for those responses.

I wanted to know if I can have a coop year (PEY) if I choose to go with TrackOne. I ask because, my offer says no coop. I was under the impression that all Engineering programs had to have coop.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ninetyfour ninetyfour
Co-op and PEY are not the same thing. U of T Engineering programs offer the PEY (Professional Experience Year) which is a one year internship, I believe.

It's Waterloo Engineering programs that all have co-op. These are work terms spread out through your degree.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks for the clarification.

Is the PEY mandatory? And is it offered if I consider TrackOne?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ninetyfour ninetyfour
Quoted from U of T's website:

At U of T Engineering you have the option of doing a 12 to 16 month paid work placement through the Professional Experience Year (PEY). In addition, we do offer a four month summer placement called Engineering Summer Internship Program (eSIP).

So no, it isn't mandatory.
Was this helpful? Yes 0