yconic - Engineering to med school?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Engineering to med school?

A photo of gingerbread343 gingerbread343
I was wondering if anyone goes to engineering (biomed) with the intention of going to medical school. I don't know if I want to become a doctor or an engineer in the future and I want to keep my options open. I've also heard that engineering is brutal and most people cannot maintain a high enough gpa to remain competitive in the eyes of med administration. What do you think?
Any advice would be appreciated!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
19 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
I know a handful of people who have successfully done this. I had a high enough GPA for med school. So did a few other people I know. It's totally possible and could give your application a good edge.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sllencer sllencer
I've heard of someone trying , I thought it was pretty smart b/c if you don't make it, you'd have a professsional degree.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of pandasbox pandasbox
Technically you could (which was one of the reasons I went into engineering, to keep my options open). But afterwards you need to catch up on 4 years of biomed related courses that everyone else knows. If you think you can handle it, go for it!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of broodp4 broodp4
Hahaha, try maintaining a 3.8+ avg in an engineering program, then doing a bunch of extra-curriculars, volunteering, shadowing doctors etc. You will die of exhaustion before you go to Med school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@broodp4 wrote
Hahaha, try maintaining a 3.8+ avg in an engineering program, then doing a bunch of extra-curriculars, volunteering, shadowing doctors etc. You will die of exhaustion before you go to Med school.

You don't actually need to shadow doctors and do a ton of medicine related activities to get into med school. I got a 3.9 GPA in mechanical engineering and was getting into several biomedical related research projects in my last year (one that involved collecting data during bypass surgery) which could have put me on the right track for med school (if I had taken bio and the other necessary prereqs). I was also a varsity athlete
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
Would going to school in the summer be the most viable way for an engineering student to cover med school prereqs? Would overloading an already overloaded semester just ruin your life? :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@iliketurtles wrote
Would going to school in the summer be the most viable way for an engineering student to cover med school prereqs? Would overloading an already overloaded semester just ruin your life? :P

Use your electives when possible, but I wouldn't recommend overloading. Definitely do summer courses or an extra semester.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of kitkat1 kitkat1

@ktel wrote
I got a 3.9 GPA in mechanical engineering and was getting into several biomedical related research projects in my last year (one that involved collecting data during bypass surgery) which could have put me on the right track for med school (if I had taken bio and the other necessary prereqs). I was also a varsity athlete

I have a similar question as the OP.. I am in grade 12 this year and yet under the process of looking at diff undergrad programs. My aim is to go to med school..but i enjoy math as well and find eng fascinating. plus the fact that after undergrad..you are a professional of some kind.
Since you've done it..would you please mind sharing which uni you go into and how was your experience with MCATs, compared to other students who come from life/health sci undergrad programs.
Also- do you have to be very intelligent to attain that gpa in eng..i can only say that i try my best and work hard, and that the popularity of low gpa's in eng programs is the only thing thats keeping me away. Thanks=)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I went to the U of A, but I never said I took the MCATs or went the med school route. I said I think I could have if I had wanted to, but I didn't.

I think hard work is more important than intelligence once you reach a certain intelligence level. It's a difficult question to answer, because it's not like I was ever a less intelligent person so I have nothing to compare my experience to. I know that I found things easier than my peers and was more efficient and organized.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of zaidpass zaidpass
I would only reccomend it if you don't mind getting rejcected and are content with an Engineering Degree.

If your main goal is to go to med school then screw no. You don't have to work 100x harder than other students to reach to same goal.

Getting a 3.8 gpa is really hard, that guy is one of the few out of 100's.

An average person will not make it.

It's Alot of hard work!

Biomed option, check out I want to go to Eng sci video on youtube.

It will answer your option :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KingKhan KingKhan

@zaidpass wrote
I would only reccomend it if you don't mind getting rejcected and are content with an Engineering Degree.

If your main goal is to go to med school then screw no. You don't have to work 100x harder than other students to reach to same goal.

It's Alot of hard work!

Who said anything about eng sci? Eng Sci is different from the typical engineering programs (and much harder too)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@KingKhan wrote

@zaidpass wrote

It's Alot of hard work!

Who said anything about eng sci? Eng Sci is different from the typical engineering programs (and much harder too)

Well that is true, you didn't say anything Eng Sci, I just assumed because I only know of two biomed options, ryerson and Eng Sci at UofT.

Well to be honest my main point is that, if he wants to become a doctor and go to med school, he does not need an engineering degree.

Eng sci is hard, but it's also true that ALL engineering is hard. You can spend the same amount of time into a life sciences program and get much higher results. (50+ hours of work per week).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@zaidpass wrote

It's Alot of hard work!

An average person isn't going to make it into med school regardless. The kind of people who get into med school are the kind who would probably do well in almost any program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

An average person isn't going to make it into med school regardless. The kind of people who get into med school are the kind who would probably do well in almost any program.

It's a lot harder to go into med school from engineering. But your right, if someone can go into med school then they will do good in any program

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of adv4ntag3 adv4ntag3
many medical schools will boost your average if they see you did an undergrad in engineering because they realize the difficulty of the program alongside with you having to dump on extra courses on top of the regular course load in order to fulfill course requirements...like, I'm in waterloo right now for nano, and i plan on taking a life science option alongside my engineering degree...lets me take an extra 7-8 courses that I'm going to need to apply to med school..point is, it can be done with effort
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of plato plato

@gingerbread343 wrote
I was wondering if anyone goes to engineering (biomed) with the intention of going to medical school. I don't know if I want to become a doctor or an engineer in the future and I want to keep my options open. I've also heard that engineering is brutal and most people cannot maintain a high enough gpa to remain competitive in the eyes of med administration. What do you think?
Any advice would be appreciated!

I would not recommend this. You are at a considerable disadvantage to students who majored in pre-med (health sciences) and your engineering acumen will be long forgotten by the time you finish your medical residency.

If you really want to be a physician, take pre-med. If you're satisfied with being an engineer if you don't get into med-school, you can consider engineering, while considering the disadvantage noted above.

Generally, my opinion is that it's easier to get into bioengineering after obtaining an MD, than the reverse.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Meridian Meridian

@adv4ntag3 wrote
many medical schools will boost your average if they see you did an undergrad in engineering because they realize the difficulty of the program alongside with you having to dump on extra courses on top of the regular course load in order to fulfill course requirements...like, I'm in waterloo right now for nano, and i plan on taking a life science option alongside my engineering degree...lets me take an extra 7-8 courses that I'm going to need to apply to med school..point is, it can be done with effort

I have never heard of ..average boosting.. as you say. You also cannot overload in Engineering. You are already taking 6 course and labs -- too hard. Just even to try to fit an organic course into your current schedule.

I know of 2 people that did Engineering route to medical doctor. In both cases though, they finished their Engineering degree (Waterloo / Queens Mechanical), worked for a (3/5) few years in medical related engineering companies, and then applied and went to medical school (both Queens). One of them went back to Uni for organic chem before writing MCATs. The other just wrote it. They both said, their work experience in bio-mechanics is what gave them favourable acceptance.

I think the people that follow this path essentially decide after they get thru Engineering. Planning this path up front is probably rare.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of pandasbox pandasbox
I'm actually hoping to go this route, haha. From what I hear, if I apply to med schools in Canada, I can just go directly from any program (of course, they always favor the pre-med students). If I apply to the states, I must take a certain number of prerequisite courses, but if they see my transcript from a rigorous engineering program, they will consider my application more favorably. I don't know too much about it, but there's no reason going to an engineering program will prevent you from getting into med school (you just gotta work extra hard for it).
Was this helpful? Yes 0