yconic - Engineering: U of T or McGill?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Engineering: U of T or McGill?

A photo of Llamaaa Llamaaa
Hello, I've been accepted to both U of T and McGill for civil engineering, and I'm having a hard time deciding which one to go to.
I narrowed my choices down to these two because I love both campuses, but in terms of education, which is better?
Also, which one would give me a higher chance of being accepted to a top university in the US for grad school?
Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
17 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
Neither is better, both could give you a great chance of getting accepted to a top US grad school. The difference between the two in quality and reputation is negligible. The difference in the student life and the city life is probably not negligible.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of utkarsh utkarsh
Both are exactly the same.
You don't get a job after graduation,
And good luck getting in US uni's for masters if you go to U of T, a good GPA is impossible to maintain.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel

@utkarsh wrote

And good luck getting in US uni's for masters if you go to U of T, a good GPA is impossible to maintain.

I'm sure there are plenty of students in engineering at U of T with 3.5+ GPAs. That's how the curve works, some people do better than everybody else. Same as everywhere else.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lawoctorgineer lawoctorgineer

@utkarsh wrote

What do you mean by "you don't get a job after graduation?".
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jasonty9 jasonty9
haters are gonna hate.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles

@utkarsh wrote

You have no idea what you're talking about.
An outlier obviously, but I know someone who went through Eng Sci at U of T, did his Master's at MIT, and recently finished his PhD at Oxford. I'm sure these sort of students do graduate every year though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

To OP: It honestly makes no difference. They are both great schools. The only things you should really be considering now are Montreal/Toronto, the epic-ness of Skule/BFC, costs, major (if they are different).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@iliketurtles wrote

@utkarsh wrote

An outlier obviously, but I know someone who went through Eng Sci at U of T, did his Master's at MIT, and recently finished his PhD at Oxford. I'm sure these sort of students do graduate every year though.

That was one kid. The rest 299 are probably suffering with a Nervous breakdown with the fact that they chose EngSci and got nothing out of it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@lawoctorgineer wrote

@utkarsh wrote

Well, U of T and McGill are heavily based on research. But this is not the reason why I said that.

In todays economy, due to a surplus amount of Engineers, there are more people with an engineering degree than the amount actually needed. Therefore, not only are you looked at in terms of the university you're in, but also the amount of EXPERIENCE you have got.

When it comes to experience, McGill is out of the solution. They have no Co-op or internship (in engineering, except for one.)
And U of T, yes you do have Internship, but check what percentage of the students get employed, because you'll be surprised.

If you want to go for Masters, definitely these two are the universities to go for. When I say "good luck maintaing a good GPA" in U of T, I am reflecting on what I have heard from a lot of students there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm really sorry if I'm sounding a bit of a "hater" here.
I respect both these universities.
Infact, I've got into both of them. :) And considering myself really lucky.
But in my opinion, to get the "perfect experience" in terms of employment and education, Waterloo outmatches all of them.

Since the topics more towards getting to Masters, U of T and McGill definitely are the best.
Just that U of T is x100 harder.
I may even be inaccurate, as what I have heard could be a rumour or a "urban myth"./
To those going to U of T, my best wishes to y'all,
And to those going to McGill, Bon Voyage! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@utkarsh wrote

@iliketurtles wrote

@utkarsh wrote

That was one kid. The rest 299 are probably suffering with a Nervous breakdown with the fact that they chose EngSci and got nothing out of it.

So you're trying to tell me of the almost 1000 students who get into U of T engineering, 1 goes to grad school? Even if you mean 1/300 EngSci students (EngSci doesn't even have that many students) get into grad school, that's still ridiculously stupid and pessimistic. You've obviously bought way too much into the whole "omg U of T is impossible and just steals your money" hype and only care about the horror stories that come out of U of T engineering.
Also, what makes you think McGill/U of T students don't get job placements or something? Everyone I know (granted, it's only like ~5-10 people) at either school for engineering all have jobs lined up when they graduate (which is actually like now for them). Waterloo can get you great co-op placements and near-guaranteed job offers out of graduation, but don't think McGill and U of T can't do the same...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LindaS LindaS

@utkarsh wrote

@lawoctorgineer wrote

@utkarsh wrote

Well, U of T and McGill are heavily based on research. But this is not the reason why I said that.

In todays economy, due to a surplus amount of Engineers, there are more people with an engineering degree than the amount actually needed. Therefore, not only are you looked at in terms of the university you're in, but also the amount of EXPERIENCE you have got.

When it comes to experience, McGill is out of the solution. They have no Co-op or internship (in engineering, except for one.)
And U of T, yes you do have Internship, but check what percentage of the students get employed, because you'll be surprised.

If you want to go for Masters, definitely these two are the universities to go for. When I say "good luck maintaing a good GPA" in U of T, I am reflecting on what I have heard from a lot of students there.

Last year 100% of the students who applied for PEY got a placement (says the ece prof). It's just that some choose not to do one because they do coop/internships during the summer or just want to graduate in 4 years.

Also, everyone I know (well it's only 6) who recently graduated from u of t had many job offers almost a year before they actually graduated but 4 of them decided to go for graduate studies.

Having said that,I only know know of 3 people that went to waterloo, and yes they had jobs when they graduated but none of them got into grad school (yes they all applied). One of them also had a gpa of 3.9.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LindaS LindaS
To answer Llamaaa's question, I think U of T and McGill are both excellent schools and you won't be disappointed with either. I looked at the rankings for the past few years and they go back and forth between first and second, so there doesn't seen to be anything that makes one a whole lot better than the other. But I guess you have to be pretty good at French if you go to McGill, or maybe not, I've never been to Montreal for more than a few days.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@LindaS wrote
To answer Llamaaa's question, I think U of T and McGill are both excellent schools and you won't be disappointed with either. I looked at the rankings for the past few years and they go back and forth between first and second, so there doesn't seen to be anything that makes one a whole lot better than the other. But I guess you have to be pretty good at French if you go to McGill, or maybe not, I've never been to Montreal for more than a few days.

McGill teaches entirely in English, and most of the students speak English too. Most of the places downtown or at least around the McGill campus are also staffed with people who are bilingual or at least have both, you'd be fine speaking 0 French :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Llamaaa Llamaaa
Thanks so much for all the replies!
Since they are both similar, I'm leaning towards U of T simply because it's a lot closer so it would be more convenient.
I'm still considering Waterloo because of co-op, but the atmosphere doesn't really appeal to me, and I find that U of T and McGill are a better fit for me personally.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AdJan AdJan

@utkarsh wrote

But in my opinion, to get the "perfect experience", Waterloo outmatches all of them.

Do you like being part of the famous Starcraft LAN parties? Or being surrounded by a couple million Asians on campus or in class? Or how about not even touching alcohol during the four years of your undergrad?
Since you're going to play on rumours and stereotypes without considering anything else, I think it's fair you take a hit now too.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@AdJan wrote

@utkarsh wrote

But in my opinion, to get the "perfect experience", Waterloo outmatches all of them.

Do you like being part of the famous Starcraft LAN parties? Or being surrounded by a couple million Asians on campus or in class? Or how about not even touching alcohol during the four years of your undergrad?
Since you're going to play on rumours and stereotypes without considering anything else, I think it's fair you take a hit now too.

I meant "Perfect experience" academically, not round-life.
Of course, UW is an ugly university, with the problems that you've just mentioned.

Was this helpful? Yes 0