yconic - Engineering Undergraduate to Med School
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Engineering Undergraduate to Med School

A photo of Llamaaa Llamaaa
I was just wondering if it's possible to go to med school with an engineering degree?
I applied to civil engineering and have been accepted, but I recently had a change of heart and am considering going to med school. Nothing is definite, and I'm really unsure still, but I just wanted to know the possibilities before getting my sights set on something that cannot be done.
If I decide that medicine is what I truly want, would it be a better idea to transfer to a health science program rather than complete an engineering one?
Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of Jsonga Jsonga
Yes so long as you have the required prerequisites. Keep in mind though it will be tough to obtain a good GPA in an Engineering program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
Yes but it's arguably the toughest road to med school.

I know someone who is in his first year of U of T med school right now, he started off as a chem eng student for 2 years and then transferred into health sci for the last half of undergrad because his GPA as an eng student just wasn't competitive enough.

I also have another friend who is currently completing his Master's in biomed eng. He completed a biomed eng degree for undergrad but his GPA wasn't high enough when he graduated to apply so he decided to go for a Master's, obtain his P.Eng, and then apply to med afterwards.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I know a handful of people who did it, and I know a handful of people who had GPAs high enough that they could have probably done it. It's possible, but could be difficult
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of computerengineer computerengineer
OMG I was thinking about the same thing. I researched about this and this is what I basically learned:
It is REALLY hard to go to a Canadian med school after an engineering undergrad. Engineering is the hardest undergrad and maintaining a high GPA is very hard. I know many people from life sciences program unable to get into med school. And life sciences programs are a lot easier. However some American med schools take this into account and you might have a better chance at a American medschool. It is very expensive though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jsonga Jsonga

@computerengineer wrote
And life sciences programs are a lot easier.

Really?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Llamaaa Llamaaa
Thanks everyone!

I've also applied to architecture, so do you think it would be a better idea to do undergrad in architecture as opposed to engineering?
I think it would be easier to maintain a high average, but there's probably less room for electives. Thoughts?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
My sisters good friend did it, studied Computer Engineering at Waterloo and graduated from U of T's medical school and is doing his residency in Radiology. It's possible, but extremely difficult primarily because a lot of the classes you have to take have low class averages to begin with. I know people do this to ensure that they have a career if medicine doesn't work out but I don't really recommend it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aquarius aquarius

@Llamaaa wrote
I was just wondering if it's possible to go to med school with an engineering degree?
I applied to civil engineering and have been accepted, but I recently had a change of heart and am considering going to med school. Nothing is definite, and I'm really unsure still, but I just wanted to know the possibilities before getting my sights set on something that cannot be done.
If I decide that medicine is what I truly want, would it be a better idea to transfer to a health science program rather than complete an engineering one?
Thanks!

My doctor's son did Engineering at UFT and after his 3rd year decided that he wants to be a doctor and ended up getting full scholarship from Ottawa U to do Medicine!
Was this helpful? Yes 0