yconic - English 12 P.E - I think I did really bad :( I need an advise! (TOEFL/IELTS) ?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

English 12 P.E - I think I did really bad :( I need an advise! (TOEFL/IELTS) ?

A photo of iLoveHouseMusic iLoveHouseMusic
English 12 P.E - I think I did really bad :(
I am pretty sure that I did bad on that exam

All my grades are in mid 90s and only English 12 is 80% but provincial exam will bring my mark down a lot :batman:

I really wanna get into a business program but most of them ask for 80%+ English 12 class mark blended with provincial exam.

What can I do? :bounce:

I want to upgrade my provincial exam mark in June but most of the universities will already reject my application by that date.

Can I write a TOEFL or IELTS exam instead?:!:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
19 replies

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych
Is this BC?

If yes... I feel your pain. That exam was just a catastrophe!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yes B.C provincial exam!
fcuk fcuk fcuk!

Actually it wasnt that bad its just that I spent too much time on M.C questions and my composition essay was way too long. Therefore, I didn't have enough time to finish the rest of the exam.
If I got more time I would Ace it -.-

Anyone knows if I can write a TOEFL exam or IELTS exam instead?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Are you an international student/new comer to BC?
If you are, you can write the TOEFL.

If you're a Canadian citizen, you can just write the LPI instead.

Or.. if you think you can do better on the provincial exam, you can re-take the provincial and pray you do better. You're allowed to do provincials twice.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq
Oh well, better luck in your extra year
Was this helpful? Yes 0

There was a huge group of us after the exam complaining about it. Who came up with those topics anyway? The short answer on the poetry was a joke. The poem isn't even 100 words, and they demand a minimum of 150 on it? I had to BS from 80 all the way to 150, which will definitely hurt my mark.

And the written composition wasn't great, either.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of prmly prmly
I don't know what to tell you, bud. Hopefully your English mark won't severely hurt your chances in getting into the school you want.

The provincial was fairly okay - although I did face-palm after reading the poem. I didn't know what the hell was going on. Poetry is not my strong suit so needless to say, I did my best trying to BS the paragraph.

The stories about Arctic exploration were interesting and the corresponding multiple-choice questions were finished with ease. I liked the essay question. It gave me enough leg-room to comfortably compare and contrast each side.

Now for the big Kahuna: the last composition. What kind of goddamn prompt is that. "Discuss sources of inspiration." No. You discuss sources of inspiration, this is BULLS--T. I wrote about Pope John Paul II, Lady Gaga, my father's soiree into professional Italian soccer, and Austrian economists. Quite a diverse essay, but it was all over the place and I hope the markers found it charming and not stupid. I found it stupid. I found the entire thing stupid. Oh well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of prmly prmly

@VegaKrazmych wrote
There was a huge group of us after the exam complaining about it. Who came up with those topics anyway? The short answer on the poetry was a joke. The poem isn't even 100 words, and they demand a minimum of 150 on it? I had to BS from 80 all the way to 150, which will definitely hurt my mark.

And the written composition wasn't great, either.

I did my poetry paragraph last. I have a feeling it reeeeally hurt my mark overall. I did incorporate a load of quotes, but I think the markers will be able to tell that I didn't know what going on.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of andrewk512 andrewk512
That prompt sounds relatively easy. Just off the top of my head you could do a bunch of different things: internal vs. external inspiration, inspiration from people you don't know vs. people close to you, a personal influence of inspiration etc. I'm sure it's much more pressure though when you're actually writing the exam.
I get to look forward to it in June...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I am a new comer to B.C. I really hope I can write TOEFL/IELTS exams instead. Otherwise, I am "Fluked"

Although my grade 12 average is in mid 90s (excluding english of course) I might get accepted to university and will have to stick with college -.-.

You know whats disappointing? I spent at least 2 hours every day doing damn english assignments and got 81% BUT ONE stupid provincial exam can ruin my plans and my life -.-

Can I appeal against exam results?

Well I hope you did good!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of prmly prmly

@iLoveHouseMusic wrote

Can I appeal against exam results?

oh my god suggesting appealing exam results is just hilarious to me i don't know why
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of wcpatton wcpatton
LOL good luck
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Anyone have more insight into how the January English exam was? What were the poems and stories about?
I'm writing in April (apparently you can do the re-write before you even do the write) and I know that every year there's a similar theme between exams...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greenmint greenmint

@andrewk512 wrote
Anyone have more insight into how the January English exam was? What were the poems and stories about?
I'm writing in April (apparently you can do the re-write before you even do the write) and I know that every year there's a similar theme between exams...

The January English prov was so-so.

As you might know there are 3 parts:

a) Short story OR poem + M.C + Random text thing

It was about a granddaughter and her grandpa and the grandpa taught her how to climb his foot but did not aid her. The essay question was something like "find evidence that the grandpa and granddaughter share a close bond" and my thesis was "their close physical contact suggest that they share a close relationship" LOL but even if its B.S I was able to support my answers~

b) The Synthesis (2 txts)

This was really really easy but so much to read.

The first text was like a bibliography of a famous explorer who discovered many places and won many awards and was knighted and lived a long life etc.

The second text was fictional I think and was about a father who was originally a doctor and lived a succesful life but decided to become an explorer and joined these random expeditions and his crew would get stuck and they never discovered anything great. Also their family was humiliated be that because they were all prestigious etc etc.

And the essay topic was " WHO WAS MORE SUCCESSFUL? " so it was an easy pick.

c) Composition

Was pretty open ended - "Inspiration comes from all sources" and to get a good mark you should write a narrative essay where the thesis or point is somewhat implied.

I WAS really lucky this time because I got a good mark and the topics were pretty easy compared to the practice ones!!!! My teacher was so harsh and I considered taking the LPI but thankfully the prov actually bought my mark up!!! Maybe I had an easy marker, or my essays were decent I don't know.

I looked at a sample LPI and I think the Prov is easier. LPI focuses on grammar and punctuation + an essay, while the prov is write what you think + some lit. term M.C so I suggest you don't take LPI because its expensive. AND for UBC you need atleast a "5" essay for the LPI to fulfill the Eng. requirement and "5" essay is not easy.

EDIT: http://www.bced.gov.bc.ca/exams/exemplars/welcome.htm

This is a really useful sight where you can see the difference between a "1" text and a "6" text.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks for taking the time to respond. =)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@andrewk512 wrote
Thanks for taking the time to respond. =)

YOU'RE WELCOME! You'll do fine!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@greenmint wrote

There was someone at my school who picked the doctor. He got about 60%, and was outraged. He was going to appeal, until he figured out that it cost money.

I didn't do too badly on this after all - 87
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@VegaKrazmych wrote

@greenmint wrote

There was someone at my school who picked the doctor. He got about 60%, and was outraged. He was going to appeal, until he figured out that it cost money.

I didn't do too badly on this after all - 87

MY GOD that is way too funny. Yes...a note to everyone in Eng 12: Stick to the safe side and don't go all risky ~

87 is really good! It's hard to get above 86% for a lot of students tho~
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of youstoppedmakingsense youstoppedmakingsense
Gah I'm writing my provincials in June. It will be a different paper, won't it? I'm glad I've already gotten an offer before the university sees my horrendous final grade for English (in case it turns out bad). Are you guys applying within BC though?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm staying here in BC. This whole year in English was a disaster, with my teacher.
Was this helpful? Yes 0