yconic - English 12 summer school??
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

English 12 summer school??

A photo of Prabh17 Prabh17
hey. just a question.
should i take english 12 during summer school? I heard it was really hard to take it within the year because of all the essays and such. Also, I was thinking on taking it because I am taking all the science courses and math during the year. so any ideas? Anyone do summer school?

IF so, did your grade/percentage drop? Because I need at least a B for the unvi. I want to applie too. Any additional info would be great!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of jelly jelly
If you're comfortable about reading entire novels/plays within 3-4 days, and writing essays in 1-2 days, then sure. Personally I am pretty used to cramming and probably work better under pressure. I found the workload for ENG4U in summer school pretty small. Most of my friends got around the same mark they usually get, give or take a couple percent.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Starring Starring
The thing with summer school is, it's so easy to get a horrible teacher. I've heard stories where people took English in summer school and got over 90% easily. On the other hand, I hear just as many stories of people getting stuck with an awful teacher, where more than half the class drops out by the third day, and then ending with a class average of less than 60%.
I think it's really 50-50, and you'd be taking a pretty big risk.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of brady23 brady23
It is a good idea to take English in summer school, unless you know you can get an easy 85 with your english teacher in day school.

And like Starring said, it is complete luck of what teacher you get for English. I got this really hard teacher, and about 10 students dropped over the course of the first week, including myself, and I got a way higher mark in day school.

But if you don't plan on taking anything else in summer school, then it doesn't hurt to try. If your teacher sucks, then just take it in day school, and if you get an easy teacher, it will pay off in the end.

Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Prabh17 Prabh17
Thanks. But I know the english teacher that is teaching summer school. When I had the teacher in the year, I got 80-86%. He isnt that hard of a marker but, I know that I wont be able to maintain that through the school year espeically with the work load of my other classes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aquarius aquarius

@Prabh17 wrote
Thanks. But I know the english teacher that is teaching summer school. When I had the teacher in the year, I got 80-86%. He isnt that hard of a marker but, I know that I wont be able to maintain that through the school year espeically with the work load of my other classes.

If you know the teacher ,then take it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of RheyDCD11 RheyDCD11

@Prabh17 wrote

I took grade 12 english last summer and it was an extremely heavy course load considering your cramming all that which is suppose to be done within a semester/year course into one month. If you are planning on taking it during the summer, word of advice: do not slack off... Since you know the teacher, you could always ask his/her advice on whether you would be able to handle it or not. But most people I know have taken summer school English and do not regret it now (heavy semester with maths and sciences) Like you I got 80-86% in the school year, but I had to work hard to get a 90%. Best of luck! ^-^
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SHAZYZANG SHAZYZANG
I'm wanting to take it and I'm wondering the same thing. I got 86 in this year's english (and around 90 in grade 10), which is probably around what I'd get in grade 12 day school. But I want to have room for a ninth course which would make my chances better.
Is summer school really easier? Would I get over 90?
Also, if I apply to Laurier for the double degree program with UWaterloo, will this affect my average? I know it may for Waterloo but not for Laurier, so I'm not sure about this
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011

@SHAZYZANG wrote
I'm wanting to take it and I'm wondering the same thing. I got 86 in this year's english (and around 90 in grade 10), which is probably around what I'd get in grade 12 day school. But I want to have room for a ninth course which would make my chances better.
Is summer school really easier? Would I get over 90?
Also, if I apply to Laurier for the double degree program with UWaterloo, will this affect my average? I know it may for Waterloo but not for Laurier, so I'm not sure about this

All I can say is that it's not about when you take English. It's who you take it with. While there certainly are students who completed summer school English with 90+, there is no consensus as to whether summer school is any easier. If your teacher is tough, you will have a hard time, during the school year or in summer school.

Also, in terms of workload, it varies. If you take English in day school, you may have to deal with more long term projects such as comparative essays, and more presentations (perhaps). On the other hand, summer school students can perhaps tell you about compressing all the readings for the course into one month, get a short period of time to write essays, and be faced with more untimely tests. Will this be the case? No one knows. Your teacher decides.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Whinnie Whinnie
wow ... i'm surprised with the responses within this thread , o.o;
i took grade 11 English in summer school but everyone i know said that the grade 12 course should be taken in day school ... this is the first i've heard where the opposite action is being recommended LOL! i think it's because it's just too difficult reading all of those books in such a short amount of time , and because most of your limited class time will be spent writing essays and other assignments , so your teacher won't be able to explain as much as you'd probably like (especially about Shakespeare) , :\

also , i heard that if you take a course outside of day school the places you've applied to may ask why ... anyway, regardless of which decision you make , i hope it goes well for you ! (:
Was this helpful? Yes 0