yconic - English, Economics and/or PolySci at U of T
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

English, Economics and/or PolySci at U of T

A photo of NanBullen NanBullen
I'm a Grade 12 student who's considering her university options for next year. My parents would really love for me to go to the University of Toronto because it's close to home. If I had the choice, I would stay home too but it's all about the education I'm recieving.

However, since I plan to double major or major and double minor in a liberal arts concentration, I'm worried about class sizes. I know they're huge at U of T and while I enjoy alone work I also like to conference with teachers.

Does anyone have experience with an Englsih, Economic or Political Science program at U of T? If you took the co-op program at Scarbourough that's even better. I adore the city, liberal arts and would love your feedback :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of kraken kraken
You can always go to office hours if you want to talk to your profs. There are also some smaller seminar classes (in your first year look into Trin One/Vic One etc, and first year seminar courses)... and for many large lecture classes you also get to take a tutorial (usually led by a grad student)

Once you get to your third and fourth year, most of your classes will probably be small.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of NanBullen NanBullen

@kraken wrote
You can always go to office hours if you want to talk to your profs. There are also some smaller seminar classes (in your first year look into Trin One/Vic One etc, and first year seminar courses)... and for many large lecture classes you also get to take a tutorial (usually led by a grad student)

Once you get to your third and fourth year, most of your classes will probably be small.

Thanks a bunch!

I see you're an English major. I'm not naive, I know there's a lot of reading but I'm totally game for it! What is the enviiornment of your English classes like?

How often do you get essays? Is English a "bell curve" course?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
actually I keep switching my majors around... I've only taken one English course so far :P sorry! it was ENG110 which isn't offered this year but it was a good course. not sure if they're discontinuing it or if it'll be offered again.

it had two essays (one each term) and a final exam. it was a large lecture class but had mandatory tutorials, and there were a few short tutorial assignments. as far as I know most first/second year ENG courses are probably like that. once you get to third/fourth year ones they tend to be small seminar classes I believe. but maybe someone who's taken more English could elaborate...
Was this helpful? Yes 0