yconic - English Help ASAP- Please!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

English Help ASAP- Please!

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hey

Just wondering if anyone can help figure out what this means. I did a literal translation but I just can't wrap my head around it. I'm stuck.

John Steinbeck's Nobel Prize Banquet Speech (for Literature-1962):

"Literature was not promulgated by a pale and emasculated critical priesthood singing their litanies in empty churches--nor is it a game for the cloistered elect, the tin-horn mendicants of low-calorie despair."

I need this ASAP if possible. If anyone can help even a little I will be so grateful.

Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

This post was deleted

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@CyanicSparrow wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote
Hey

Just wondering if anyone can help figure out what this means. I did a literal translation but I just can't wrap my head around it. I'm stuck.

John Steinbeck's Nobel Prize Banquet Speech (for Literature-1962):

"Literature was not promulgated by a pale and emasculated critical priesthood singing their litanies in empty churches--nor is it a game for the cloistered elect, the tin-horn mendicants of low-calorie despair."

I need this ASAP if possible. If anyone can help even a little I will be so grateful.

The quote prompts the reader to question what literature is and how it came to be what it is. By saying 'pale and emasculated critical priesthood singing their litanies in empty churchs', Steinbeck refers to those who flaunt their power to a heedless crowd. That is not what writing is about. Literature seeks to mobilize and compel the world tactfully. By the same token, literature isn't about the 'cloistered elect'; the poor who beg and presume compliance of the people on the basis of religion. In other words, writing cannot be cheap; it cannot be needy of those who read it. This quote states that true literature is honest with integrity. It mobilizes without succumbing to economical weakness (speaking, of course) or to haughtines.

This is what I make of it. Good luck.

I think you nailed it (I hope so). Thank you very very much! :cheers: :bounce: :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0