yconic - English Proficiency Tests
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

English Proficiency Tests

A photo of cin666 cin666
Hey, I was wondering if you have to do anything if you know you can be exempted from the english proficiency test? I applied to York and wrote "other" as my first language, and when i checked my york myfile page for admission, it says they require the english test document, but i was born in canada and have gone to school here all my life; I'm completely competent in english. on the york site it says Proof Of Language Facility as a required supporting document.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
1 replies

A photo of napinhei napinhei
I think you should call them to sort it out.

The 'First Language' box doesn't actually mean your first language. It means your primary language. The one you use most in your daily life. For someone born and raised in Canada, that should be either English or French. Just because you learned another language before English and use it at home with your family does not make it your 'first language'. I'm pretty sure if you say French, they still won't get you to do an English proficiency test since it is one of two of the national languages.

So yeah, like I said, call them to clear that up or else you'll have to go through the hassel of writing a proficiency test. Point them to the fact that your high school transcript shows that you have fulfilled English language requirements simply by finishing (or being almost finished) high school. That should be your supporting documentation of English proficiency.
Was this helpful? Yes 0