yconic - ENGLISH SUMMER SCHOOL (TDSB) EASY/HARD -ANY OPINION
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

ENGLISH SUMMER SCHOOL (TDSB) EASY/HARD -ANY OPINION

A photo of aquarius aquarius
would appreciate feedback on doing english (G12) in summer school .
I am currently in Grade 11.

Has anyone any opinion on AP Human Geography ??

Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
I did English 12 in summer school. Probably the best choice I have ever made.
Everything is a lot faster, obviously.. but if you're a strong English student now, it shouldn't be a problem.
There is a LOT of reading and TONS of essays to write, obviously. At least once every two days I had to write an essay.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Xizeta Xizeta
I guess that depends on your strength in English.

Chances are you will not have the aid of a computer and Microsoft word (spellcheck). Be prepared to hand in essays, major evaluations, without such aids. Those essays will be marked hypercritically. Then again, your board wide exam will require an essay without such aid anyway.

The grade twelve English mark is important for post-secondary.

The positive: you will probably be given a shorter novel and play (something instead of Hamlet or whatever).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chatmike chatmike
One of the worst decisions me and my buddy made. We ended up getting an 8 month pregnant feminist. There were 2 guys left in the class by the end of the summer. I got an 80, my friend got a 74.

The other summer school class in the school got to watch Monty Python all day and had a class average of like 85.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LRooke LRooke

@chatmike wrote
The other summer school class in the school got to watch Monty Python all day and had a class average of like 85.

That is what Summer School is all about.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chatmike chatmike

@LRooke wrote

@chatmike wrote

I must have written at least 10-15 essays by the end of the summer. It was a new one every day. Was brutal.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Xizeta Xizeta

@chatmike wrote

@LRooke wrote

@chatmike wrote

I must have written at least 10-15 essays by the end of the summer. It was a new one every day. Was brutal.

I hate teachers who think life is about essays. It’s not.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
I find summer school is completely random in terms of difficulty because it depends on your teacher more than anything else. I went to a summer school that everyone claimed was easy because it was such a low-rated school in the province. My midterm was a 79 and upon my decision to drop the course, my teacher even told me it was the second highest grade in the entire class. Thanks for reassuring me that I made the right decision to drop, sir. I'm in grade 11, by the way.

Edit: My grade 10 final was an 88 and I'm getting a 93 right now.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of PeoplesChamp PeoplesChamp
Honestly, it depends on your teacher. Grade 11U English, I got a 53% in the course. (Got 82% in Grade 12U Day school the following year.)Completely hating my teacher might have had an affect on my grades,but it could be due to the marking being very subjective in English. Meaning an 80% for an essay with one teacher could be 55% quality work with the next, because it's not comparable to math where you're either right or wrong and the answers are clean cut and marks are not debatable. This means the marks in English are subject to the opinion and bias of the teacher and you'll never see consistency with the marking and the grades you get from class to class. So, really best advice is sign up for summer school, and hope you get lucky with a easy teacher or ride it out with a hard teacher until mid-term see where you're at, and drop early to prevent full-disclosure of your grade if you're not happy. It's all about what teacher you get and the chemistry between the two of you.

Cheers.
Was this helpful? Yes 0