yconic - English vs. Psychology?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

English vs. Psychology?

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I'm applying to university at the end of this year and currently trying to decide between English and Psychology majors (preferably at UofGuelph, if this is relevant). English is my strong suit, and I love it, but I really want a job helping people. I've considered things like teaching, journalism, publishing, rehabilitation, mental health and therapy.
I would really appreciate some opinions on where I can go? Should I just go with what I'm good at? And does anyone know of a career in the helping professions that I can work towards with an English degree? Or if anyone could give me their experience in either program?

(I know, I know, a lot of questions, but I really need advice!)
Thank you!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of awaysheflew awaysheflew
Hey, we have same career goals. I hardly ever find people interested in mental health on here.

If you're looking into the mental health field, I would recommend psychology or social work programs. Social work programs give you the added bonus of giving you membership in the College of Social Workers when you graduate, which is required for a lot of jobs in the field.

If you really can't decide between the two, you could always double major in English and Psychology. And even if you decide on one, then realize it's not for you, you can switch your major pretty easily at most universities. Just make sure you take both an English course and psych course in your first year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Thank you,

I guess I'm just afraid that I won't enjoy a psychology major as much as English, but you're right, I could always try both. What career are you looking to do? I'm lost about career choices too. :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
You don't have to necessarily decide until after first year, but I can understand that if you choose the program now, you will know which university you have to go to...Hmmm, doing both would be pretty interesting!
Was this helpful? Yes 0