yconic - English
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

English

A photo of Schen Schen
Hi guys,

Do you think I should take English in university (first-year) considering the following criteria:

1. I dislike English courses A LOT
2. I dislike high-school novel & Shakespeare units
3. I usually average ~85%-90% in high-school
4. I am aimming for medical school in Ontario but possibly in other areas as well such as the States (highly unlikely but still want to keep some options open)
5. I am thinking about writing the MCAT after second year.

Thanks,

Schen
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
If you want to keep your options open then yes. Most US med schools require 1 year of English.

Won't need it for the MCAT at all, especially since the AAMC is thinking of making changes to it and taking out the essay part.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of esin esin

@inthemaking wrote
If you want to keep your options open then yes. Most US med schools require 1 year of English.

Won't need it for the MCAT at all, especially since the AAMC is thinking of making changes to it and taking out the essay part.

But there's still gonna be Verbal Reasoning and a course in english can definitely help for that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking

@esin wrote

@inthemaking wrote

But there's still gonna be Verbal Reasoning and a course in english can definitely help for that.

Eh, I did fine in VR and I didn't take English in university. If you read at all (books, newspapers, journal articles etc) and can pull out information from a passage, you'll be fine. The passages aren't literary passages, they are excerpts from magazine/journal articles, editorials, etc. Of course, if you want to take English then that's a different story but for anyone who would only consider taking it for the sake of the MCAT, hates English, and there's a chance it might hurt your GPA, I wouldn't suggest it.

My biggest regret in university has been taking organic chem for the sake of the MCAT (hated the course and it'll always be a blemish on my transcript now).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Schen Schen
Do med schools place a huge emphasis on first year marks? If not, wouldn't it be ideal to take Enlgish as it could somewhat make you practice certain skills you might need for the future like MCAT and med school applications...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Chandlerowns Chandlerowns
Never take a course for the sake of the MCAT. Advice from many upper year students/faculty I've heard from.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mmmmmmmn mmmmmmmn
can't you just take it through summer school if you really need it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0