yconic - Engsci Hopeful?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Engsci Hopeful?

A photo of Mig Mig
Hi, I am interested in the Engineering Science program at UofT and likewise I am uncertain about my chances of getting admission.
I'll start with my academic info, bellow are my completed grade 12 grades:

English: 84
Data Management: 88
Philosophy: 91
Physics: 93
Advanced Functions: 96

My grade 11 grades are quite horrible (around 84 average).

However, I think i am quite involved extra-curricularily:
Currenting I am in:
Engineering club (this takes up 75% of my time also this club is run with extremely minimal supervision).
Debate club
Science Technology Innovation club
Math club

These activities add up so I have about 1-2 hours of EC activity on a regular day.
Summer stuff:
Volunteer at central branch library (around 70 hours)
Volunteer at local conservation group (around 35 hours)

How realistic are my chances of getting an acceptance into Engsci, at March? later in the year?

Also do universities consider the high-school in which you took your course in, as I understand it my school Orients some courses such as calculus and vectors such that (from what I am told) it is more difficult than the curriculum at other schools. e.g. We do the vectors part of calculus first :O. It would be great if you could provide a credible source for this.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of naeem92 naeem92

@Mig wrote
Hi, I am interested in the Engineering Science program at UofT and likewise I am uncertain about my chances of getting admission.
I'll start with my academic info, bellow are my completed grade 12 grades:

English: 84
Data Management: 88
Philosophy: 91
Physics: 93
Advanced Functions: 96

My grade 11 grades are quite horrible (around 84 average).

However, I think i am quite involved extra-curricularily:
Currenting I am in:
Engineering club (this takes up 75% of my time also this club is run with extremely minimal supervision).
Debate club
Science Technology Innovation club
Math club

These activities add up so I have about 1-2 hours of EC activity on a regular day.
Summer stuff:
Volunteer at central branch library (around 70 hours)
Volunteer at local conservation group (around 35 hours)

How realistic are my chances of getting an acceptance into Engsci, at March? later in the year?

Also do universities consider the high-school in which you took your course in, as I understand it my school Orients some courses such as calculus and vectors such that (from what I am told) it is more difficult than the curriculum at other schools. e.g. We do the vectors part of calculus first :O. It would be great if you could provide a credible source for this.

I`m surprised you haven`t gotten a reply yet. I`ll reply to this post tomorrow, so this is just a bump to remind me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of naeem92 naeem92
Alright, so... you will get an acceptance, I'm quite positive of that. I think a March acceptance is certainly likely, but not guaranteed because your average falls slightly on the lower end of the spectrum. Either way, you won't have to wait till May to hear from them I don't think.

As far as schools are concerned, U of T does not take it into consideration. And nor should it, because as you'll quickly find out, as much as the school might suggest they emphasize certain things, they ultimately don't in the grand scheme of things. Once you talk to enough graduates, most of them go out with the illusion that their school somehow prepared them better. Only a few schools genuinely do. The one which comes to mind is Marc Garneau Collegiate Institute in Toronto and it's TOPS program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Mig Mig

@naeem92 wrote
Alright, so... you will get an acceptance, I'm quite positive of that. I think a March acceptance is certainly likely, but not guaranteed because your average falls slightly on the lower end of the spectrum. Either way, you won't have to wait till May to hear from them I don't think.

As far as schools are concerned, U of T does not take it into consideration. And nor should it, because as you'll quickly find out, as much as the school might suggest they emphasize certain things, they ultimately don't in the grand scheme of things. Once you talk to enough graduates, most of them go out with the illusion that their school somehow prepared them better. Only a few schools genuinely do. The one which comes to mind is Marc Garneau Collegiate Institute in Toronto and it's TOPS program.

Thanks alot for the reply, seriously =).
The only reason I brought up the schools differnce is well, different schools carry different teachers and department heads and I imagine for SOME courses that the resultant marks would vary quite a bit. So i though perhaps they have some way to correct for this bias?

Regardless I really hope I getin sometime during march :D, when during march do most engsci applicants get a reply? Maybe thats a question for another post. brt.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of wraith wraith
Although your average is not quite as high as the average most people would go to engsci with, your ecs are exceptional, so i think you have a good chance.

But trust me, even if you get in, you dont want to go there.

p.s where has mr. naeem92 disappeared to (stop doing wat i did last semester lol)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Mig Mig

@wraith wrote
Although your average is not quite as high as the average most people would go to engsci with, your ecs are exceptional, so i think you have a good chance.

But trust me, even if you get in, you dont want to go there.

p.s where has mr. naeem92 disappeared to (stop doing wat i did last semester lol)

Thanks for the comment, now why woudn't I want to try what is said to be the best engineering program in canada(admittedly it's self acclaimed lol)?

Also I have recently been increasingly more conserened on this: If UofT will give most of it's offers during march at which point they only have my grade 12 first scem and my grade 11 finals woud my low grade 11 grades severely defect my chances? I mean i did go from ~84 average to ~93 they might think this growth is err accidental?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of donrgt donrgt
^^^^ I love the optimism lol. Now let`s see if you`ll still be optimistic when you`re forced to learn epsilon-delta proofs or when you have 2 midterms and big assignment due every week for 3 weeks. You guys are lucky you don`t have to take freaking bio!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
get accepted to eng sci and then switch out into one of the eng fields. Im pretty sure eng sci students hav this option.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Kristofer Kristofer

@donrgt wrote
^^^^ I love the optimism lol. Now let`s see if you`ll still be optimistic when you`re forced to learn epsilon-delta proofs or when you have 2 midterms and big assignment due every week for 3 weeks. You guys are lucky you don`t have to take freaking bio!!!

No worries, they will have to go through the hell that is bio in second year, all the while taking AER201.

Besides that, I don't understand why everyone complains about the wonderful piece of knowledge that is the delta-epsilon definition of the limit. All of your precious calculus depends on it so why so averse to learning it? All of us engscis want to learn as much as we can (right?) The problems they asked us too solve did't even get that difficult (well, for the most part, assuming you're writing the exams after having slept enough the night before).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of snowman snowman

@naeem92 wrote
A

Garneau?? you've got to be kidding! maybe the TOPS program does prepare students, but normal academic students suck. Especially with regards to English, the teachers are soooo unconcerned and lazy, handing out mid-80's to pure fobs. Garneau has a mix of lazy, unconcerned, weak teachers and some really good ones. However, the good ones usually dont care much about the normal kids but care more for TOPS.
Was this helpful? Yes 0