yconic - Enrolling CS major courses as a pure math major - UWaterloo
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Enrolling CS major courses as a pure math major - UWaterloo

A photo of waterfall waterfall
I intend to pursue a pure math major, especially in abstract algebrea, though I do realise that it is to early to decide as a high school student.
I also wish to pursue a minor in computer science, especially in algorithms. However, it seems like I am not allowed to take the courses that I want to take (CS341 Algorithms) and these are not offered at minor level, unless I declare a joint or double major in computer science, in which case I will be inundated with work and I do not want to take CS courses other than Algorithm courses.
So I was wondering, if you know of anyone, who took/are taking CS major courses without being a CS major (particularly being a pure math major).
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
From the UW Website:

"Restrictions on Multiple-Plan Combinations
A category 1 BMath plan may not be combined with any BCS plan.
With the exception of Mathematical Finance which can be combined with another Actuarial Science plan and/or another Pure Mathematics plan, each Math Faculty plan in the combination must be chosen from a different group of plans on the following list:
All plans offered by Actuarial Science
All plans offered by Applied Mathematics
All plans offered by Combinatorics and Optimization (including Mathematical Optimization - Operations Research Specialization and Mathematical Optimization - Business Specialization)
All plans offered by Computational Mathematics
All plans offered by Computer Science
All plans offered by Pure Mathematics
All plans offered by Statistics
All Math/Business plans (refer to “Academic/Plans" for complete list)
Mathematics/Teaching Option
Mathematical Studies"

So it looks like you can't double major in CS and Pure Math.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose

@immaculatedx wrote
From the UW Website:

"Restrictions on Multiple-Plan Combinations
A category 1 BMath plan may not be combined with any BCS plan.
With the exception of Mathematical Finance which can be combined with another Actuarial Science plan and/or another Pure Mathematics plan, each Math Faculty plan in the combination must be chosen from a different group of plans on the following list:
All plans offered by Actuarial Science
All plans offered by Applied Mathematics
All plans offered by Combinatorics and Optimization (including Mathematical Optimization - Operations Research Specialization and Mathematical Optimization - Business Specialization)
All plans offered by Computational Mathematics
All plans offered by Computer Science
All plans offered by Pure Mathematics
All plans offered by Statistics
All Math/Business plans (refer to “Academic/Plans" for complete list)
Mathematics/Teaching Option
Mathematical Studies"

So it looks like you can't double major in CS and Pure Math.

I have no idea what you're talking about. You can't double major with a BCS and any other plan.

To double major in CS and anything, you must complete a BMath (CS), which has different requirements than the BCS.

Waterfall,

Taking CS courses is doable as a non-CS major, but it is difficult and requires a lot of consulting with advisors. The easiest way to do it is to declare a double major with CS and then take as many courses as you like. A note: CS tuition is significantly more expensive than PMATH tuition.

If you want to do a CS minor, I recommend doing the following. The advisors would support this:

1A: CS 135
1B: CS 136
2A: CS 245 and 246 (note both of these are open to all math majors)
2B: Declare CS major. Take CS 241 and 240. 240 is an algorithms-y course, you'd like it. Required for 341 as well.
3A: CS 341
3B: CS 466?? (Algorithms 2). Switch the CS major to a CS minor, and don't pay CS tuition anymore.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Yeah, can't do BCS and another Math Major. My bad, forgot about CS on the BMath side.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nick0rz Nick0rz
If thats the only course you want to take, are you able to take the pre reqs, then try to get an over ride from either the instructor or an advisor?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of waterfall waterfall
Hi again,

I am also interested in taking engineering electives. But it seems like ALL engineering courses are exclusive to engineering students only unless one is enrolled in special academic plan (such as pure mathematics with engineering electives) I do not know how university systems work, but is it possible to take engineering courses as electives through consultations with my advisor? And how realistic is it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose

@Nick0rz wrote
If thats the only course you want to take, are you able to take the pre reqs, then try to get an over ride from either the instructor or an advisor?

No. CS will not give overrides. Period. It is the only department on campus that won't do that. And the prerequisite of "being a CS major" is pretty strong considering nearly all CS courses are completely full and waitlisted every term.

@waterfall wrote
Hi again,

I am also interested in taking engineering electives. But it seems like ALL engineering courses are exclusive to engineering students only unless one is enrolled in special academic plan (such as pure mathematics with engineering electives) I do not know how university systems work, but is it possible to take engineering courses as electives through consultations with my advisor? And how realistic is it?

Unlike CS, engineering courses are very easy to override into. You just talk to the prof and show up to class until they let you. I had a friend take ECE 413 in her 2A term, and I considered taking ECE 222 this term. You don't even need to talk to your advisor; it's very easy to get into these courses. Every department at the university (other than CS) offers overrides freely, because profs want interested students to take their courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0