yconic - Entrance % at mac
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Entrance % at mac

A photo of eagerbeaver2010 eagerbeaver2010
Okay so heres a good question. Why is the entrance avg for Mac Life sci lower than Mac Kin. Common sense tells me that there are more people applying for kin than life sci. Right?

BUT, why is that so. I thought that a majority (if not most) ppl who are med hopefuls apply to life sci and biomed type programs.
Am I missing something? Is Kin the "best" way to get into med/dent?

Drop your 2 cents :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of BillyShears BillyShears

@eagerbeaver2010 wrote
Okay so heres a good question. Why is the entrance avg for Mac Life sci lower than Mac Kin. Common sense tells me that there are more people applying for kin than life sci. Right?

BUT, why is that so. I thought that a majority (if not most) ppl who are med hopefuls apply to life sci and biomed type programs.

I dunno but I WILL tell you this... I'm eager for YOUR beaver ;).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
I actually think that there are more life sci students than kin at Mac. I remember in 1st year, during frosh week, life sci and engineering were probably 2 of the biggest programs.

One thing that might be a factor is that not everyone in life sci ends up going into med..a lot of people who go into life sci actually end up going into psych or biopsych (my housemate was in life sci in 1st year and then specialized in psych). Also, people who are unsure of what they want to do usually go into life sci since it's very general in 1st year. These people (both people who end up going into psych/are unsure) may have lower admission averages, which brings down the cutoff.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Reality Reality

@eagerbeaver2010 wrote

First things first, there is no best way to any professional school. It's all up to the individual.

Secondly, Kinesiology is a much smaller program than Life Science (200 vs 800). Thus, they are able to be more selective in choosing the students for their programs, and the cut-off demonstrates that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Because Kin is becoming more competitive and students want this program so bad they will limit the number of students that they will accept into the program. Because Life Sci is in less demand they will accept more students.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I think there is more opportunities for someone with a Kin degree as opposed to a generic Life Sciences degree. Kinesiology research is pretty big, focusing on spinal cord injuries, concussions, etc. Think about this, how many people graduating from Life Sci actually intend on becoming Biologists or Researchers? The majority of people want to do professional school.

I've yet to meet a student who actually wants to be a Biologist, no one I know even cares for research and only have med in their mind set.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jmarts jmarts
Could someone please tell me approximately what the average for kin will be this year?
Thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of comebackkid comebackkid

@jmarts wrote
Could someone please tell me approximately what the average for kin will be this year?
Thanks.

85-87% is the cut off. To be competitive you should have an 88+.
Was this helpful? Yes 0