yconic - Entrance Mark Inflation
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Entrance Mark Inflation

A photo of cinderg5 cinderg5
Not sure where to post this, but here goes. I got accepted to UBC a month ago for applied science and was poking around my student centre when I found my high school mark history. I was looking at it and noticed that all my marks were bumped up by 2%.

Just curious if this usually happens for people applying to this school.

By the way, I am currently taking high school in Alberta, so could the difference be due to the stupid diplomas and difference in curriculum?

Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
I'm jealous, wish I could have a 2% inflation.
I go to a linear school, so we have 3 terms.
Teachers are generally nicer during the second term because they know that we need those marks for university, so sometimes they'll bump you up to an 86 if you have a 85.4 or something like that, but I don't think there's ever been a class where I've gotten a 2% inflation.
I've gotten 1% in a class because the teacher though we deserved it for "working hard," but that's about it.

Congrats on UBC, btw!
Us BC kids have to wait till April to hear anything. :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jluu19 jluu19
Yeah, I attend a linear school as well.
I've only gotten a 2% inflation for my English mark, so you're super lucky to get all your marks inflated by 2%. And contragulations on getting into UBC, I still need to wait until April like cyynthiia.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq
No that's your teacher bumping it up genius
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cinderg5 cinderg5
Thanks for replying. It's too bad that you guys have to wait until April. Hopefully you will get in too!

I don't know if I explained what I posted above well enough. What I meant is that the marks on my UBC student centre are 2% higher than the marks that were sent to them via my Alberta Ed transcripts. The people that marked my courses at school (I am at a school that does not have assigned teachers, ie self-directed learning) did NOT inflate my marks.
Example: Alberta Ed sent them a mark of 90% in Physics 20 in my transcript, but on the student centre at UBC mark history it shows up as 92%
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lemony lemony
I did not apply to UBC but I believe there are universities who increase or decrease grades based on the high school. Why not try talking to other students from your school who have applied to UBC?
Was this helpful? Yes 0