yconic - Exams
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Exams

A photo of brady23 brady23
When and how long do you guys study for exams? I have biology, physics, accounting, and chemistry this semester.

For example, for me, I never start studying for chemistry, physics, accounting, or math until 4-5 days before the exam. I use the whole weekend (literally the whole weekend) to study for them, and then the 1-2 days after is just review and I do quite well.

But for biology, it's a different story. I've already started studying for the exam, and I think I need like 2 weeks just to study for it. And I don't do as well, I guess because biology is more memory-intensive, while the rest are just more numerical and understanding.

How does the time spent for studying for exams differ for subjects for you guys? (Ex. do you spend more time in bio than math, or more time in math than bio)
Was this helpful? Yes 0
25 replies

A photo of Stranger Stranger

@brady23 wrote

For example, for me, I never start studying for chemistry, physics, accounting, or math until 4-5 days before the exam. I use the whole weekend (literally the whole weekend) to study for them, and then the 1-2 days after is just review and I do quite well.

But for biology, it's a different story. I've already started studying for the exam, and I think I need like 2 weeks just to study for it. And I don't do as well, I guess because biology is more memory-intensive, while the rest are just more numerical and understanding.

Same here. Except the bio exam will be easier to study for this year since I had a midterm exam for it. Sn now I only need to study the last two units in bio.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Lol, do not follow the way I study, but since you asked...
TBH, I don't study for the test until the day before.. usually the night before.
That is definitely the case for chemistry, physics, math, and biology.
Unless I have more than one on the same day, then I'll start half a week in advance, tops.
I'm such a procrastinator, it's a bad habit, I know. But I can't seem to memorize things any other way. I have a short term memory, so I won't remember the stuff I studied a few days ago unless I review it profoundly over a time frame of a few days.
:X
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MissThompson MissThompson
Well, I guess it depends on the exam. For math and chemistry I study like 2 weeks ahead of time but all the others I wait 1-3 days before exams. This semster I actually only have to study for one exam, my other two will be super easy. I have to study for History but not Environmental Science or Music! Some exams I only need to glance over notes to remember, other times I have to take weeks to understand properly and remember.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of erinlim28 erinlim28
Well this sem I have Math, English, Challenge&Change,& Religion. So for math ill studying 2 weeks in advance and do questions from each chapter as well as the review. Eng, Challenge&Change & Religion ill read over my notes, highlight definitions and important terms, then read it outload like im teaching a lesson.Or ill ask my sis to test me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IanSharer IanSharer
Two weeks in advance...>.>?

My accounting exam is broken into three parts; one today, one tomorrow and one on Monday. As for studying, I've done maybe 6 hours combined for both yesterday's and tomorrow's part.

I also have my advanced functions exam on Friday and have yet to study at all. Though, I don't really know how I would study for it as I normally don't study for math. The homework is usually enough.

I also have the final part of my accounting exam on Monday and my Economics exam Monday...and I have work on Saturday >.<.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych
My inclass for bio is friday, my provincial is the next friday. I did 20 hours this weekend, and am doing about 2 hours a night so far this week. Going to do a bunch tomorrow and no history, as my history inclass is monday, and the provincial is the next thursday.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jhy1030 jhy1030
I had 4 tests in the last 7 days and a paper due... I basically just planned it so that test after another I would be studying for different test everyday.
For science and math,the best way to study is to just do practice questions and understand the theory.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq
None, why study when you can easily cheat
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru
I have cs, economics, physics and math this sem. Started studying ... 2 days ago and just did one of my exams today. so far so good. btw, cheat sheet for physics does NOT help -_-
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of royawilliams royawilliams
how do u guys study for an english exam ????? :S:cheese:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@royawilliams wrote

People study for English exams?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of royawilliams royawilliams

@Zion wrote

@royawilliams wrote

People study for English exams?

i dont know, lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DKDG DKDG
For my English Exam i had an idea of what the essay questions were gonna be on, so I wrote the essay at home and I memorized it, than I just wrote it out of my head on the exam day. I did very well on it too:colors:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I have never studied for an English exam. As long as you can write a good essay, you'll do fine, unless you guess the multiple choice, or something.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smarty1 smarty1
I don't always study for exams to be honest. I review a bit since well, it's all just already done throughout the course (tests, quizzes, assignments, etc.)

And lol, I definitely don't study for English and Math.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I don't study, I just review my notes. And maybe for just an hour or two the day before the exam.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xXxUfacStorAxXx xXxUfacStorAxXx
I have 4 exams. For math, I'm reviewed notes and looking over the tests we did this year. I'm going to do the chapter review in the textbook for 2 sections (one for a test that everyone did bad on and the other for the last unit that the teacher taught but we didn't have a test on).

For Bio: -review notes, make sure I know it all -go over the tests from this year

For Data: -ditto

Chem: -study like a beast. notes, tests, textbook, etc. Good thing I have this one on last.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mnjones mnjones
I would study a week before or more. Studying every day for shorter periods of time helps, especially if you're taking breaks in between. When I need to cram the night before, I found being efficient and then taking the time to sleep is better than studying all night. Your brain processes information while you sleep. Take advantage!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of NumberOne NumberOne

@mnjones wrote
I would study a week before or more. Studying every day for shorter periods of time helps, especially if you're taking breaks in between. When I need to cram the night before, I found being efficient and then taking the time to sleep is better than studying all night. Your brain processes information while you sleep. Take advantage!

+100
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I just finished my phys and advance functions exams today, the physics exam was horrific to say the least :( but at least I'm done now.
I started studying for both the week before but didn't really put much effort into it until the weekend. I think I actually studied less than in grade 11, mainly because I didn't bother with writing notes this time, I felt they were a waste of time.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Haru Haru
hey at least you started a WEEK before. i have my physics one tmrw and haven't touched my notes in 2 weeks (because of isu presentations) and now i feel kind screwed. oh well. 1 unit down, 5 more to go! >< other than that, my other courses went well (i hope). economics was a JOKE. i wouldn't be surprised if i got 100% on the exam -_-
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Math 12 today... I think it went well, overall.

Studied for 3 days for it, but not too intensively compared to my other courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Blargg Blargg
Omg, I did so bad on my data management exam. Ugh...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of shequi shequi
ughh I'm so bad a studying cuz i'm also a procrastinator. I have a math test on friday and i haven't even started studying...i'll start soon anyways
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chelseyskeoch chelseyskeoch
I am the complete opposite. For me, I need to study for at least a month before math or physics exams and even if I do that I still blank on the exam. Biology and chemistry I just understand so I don't need to study as much, I just need to know what I am doing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0