yconic - Ex-Engsci, Current Indy, 2nd year, ask me anything
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Ex-Engsci, Current Indy, 2nd year, ask me anything

A photo of casper9 casper9
Did Engsci first year, switched to industrial engineering this year. Currently working on my own company and will be working at the Silicon Valley this summer. Cumulative 2.0 GPA. I've been through just about every brick wall there is in University, so feel free to ask me whatever the hell you want, high school or University.

Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of plaidboy plaidboy
How easy is it to switch betwEen engineering programs? What program could I take in first year that will let me switch into elec comp or software engineering? Also, how is the res life at u of t for engineering?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@plaidboy wrote
How easy is it to switch betwEen engineering programs? What program could I take in first year that will let me switch into elec comp or software engineering? Also, how is the res life at u of t for engineering?

If you're in EngSci, a 55%+ will let you switch into anything. If you're in anything else, you'll need 80%+ at least. If you go into trackone of course, you can go into any core 8 program in the 2nd year. Also there's no software engineering at the University of Toronto.

Res life is nice. I was at Innis, super nerdy res, so not much partying. I'd recommend res for everyone in first year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of plaidboy plaidboy
you said res life was good, but then you said it was nerdy? I'm confused :S And someone told me you can switch if it's within the same department or something with a lower average
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
Did you go into EngSci expecting to switch out? Do you feel like you were tricked into going into EngSci only to switch out after first year?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@plaidboy wrote
you said res life was good, but then you said it was nerdy? I'm confused :S And someone told me you can switch if it's within the same department or something with a lower average

My res specifically sucked, but I was invited to a lot of parties and social stuff at others residences. You just have to be social and make friends to make the most out of your residence experience.

That may be true. I have a friend that switched to Indy from ECE, and it took him an 80+ average. ECE is considered the toughest core8, while Indy is arguably the easiest, so I assume its the same with other programs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@iliketurtles wrote
Did you go into EngSci expecting to switch out? Do you feel like you were tricked into going into EngSci only to switch out after first year?

There's a lot of marketing and gimmickry that goes on with EngSci. The program is completely different from what people expect. I didn't expect to switch out. That said, if I went back, I'd do it again.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of WaterfallOfDestiny WaterfallOfDestiny

@casper9 wrote

@plaidboy wrote

[...] Also there's no software engineering at the University of Toronto.

Not true. If you do Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE), you can specialize in software. The Department of Computer Science (within the Faculty of Arts and Science) also offers a software engineering stream.

If you're picking between electrical, computer, or software-specific engineering, I would recommend ECE. Plus, it's much easier to switch from Engineering to Arts&Science than the other way around.
Was this helpful? Yes 0