yconic - Explore 2011: Collège Saint-Charles-Garnier
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Explore 2011: Collège Saint-Charles-Garnier

A photo of kaloolah kaloolah
This will be a thread for those accepted into this program, and for people who have already gone.

I have a question: do we stay in Laval residences?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
23 replies

A photo of sabby597 sabby597
I was really hoping to go to charles garnier...but I don't think I got in cuz I didn't get an email yet :(
....I do know that you stay at laval...as far as I know you won't really ever even go physically to Charles garnier, but the program is just run through the school...hope that helped :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 0zero0zero 0zero0zero
I'm also going this summer to Collège Saint-Char​les-Garnie​r for the explore program. From my understanding we will stay in the dorms of the college. But I'm not sure.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of carlyfobert carlyfobert
hey im 17 and going to saint charles garnier. Do u know what the age range is usually?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@carlyfobert wrote
hey im 17 and going to saint charles garnier. Do u know what the age range is usually?

It says 16 to 17.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of morgan2093mo morgan2093mo
Hey everyone! i attended the program last year, and I LOVED IT! it was the best month of my life! I'll just offer some advice and my experiences!

-you stay at the university, in the dorm rooms, which are single rooms with a sink. They are very, very hot. BRING A FAN! or money to buy a fan when you get there. it is soooo hot.

-you never set foot at st-charles garnier. ever.

-You eat at the cafeteria at the university, and the food is soooo gross. most people ate dinner in old quebec, and there is a lot of fast food around the university. I'm not even a picky eater and i thought the food was gross.

-the age range was 14-17, with some people turning 18 there.

-The activities offered are fun, especially hebertisme and La Ronde.

-Speak French! It pays off!

-Buy a bus pass! you use the bus a lot,it's so worth it.

-there are a lot of rules, but they are not really followed. most weekends a lot of people go out drinking, because in old quebec they don't card you. Lots of people drank, and people only got caught when they brought alchohol back. If you get caught, you get sent home.

-The friends I made I know i'll have forever, i can't say enough good things about it!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of carlyfobert carlyfobert

@morgan2093mo wrote
Hey everyone! i attended the program last year, and I LOVED IT! it was the best month of my life! I'll just offer some advice and my experiences!

-you stay at the university, in the dorm rooms, which are single rooms with a sink. They are very, very hot. BRING A FAN! or money to buy a fan when you get there. it is soooo hot.

-you never set foot at st-charles garnier. ever.

-You eat at the cafeteria at the university, and the food is soooo gross. most people ate dinner in old quebec, and there is a lot of fast food around the university. I'm not even a picky eater and i thought the food was gross.

-the age range was 14-17, with some people turning 18 there.

-The activities offered are fun, especially hebertisme and La Ronde.

-Speak French! It pays off!

-Buy a bus pass! you use the bus a lot,it's so worth it.

-there are a lot of rules, but they are not really followed. most weekends a lot of people go out drinking, because in old quebec they don't card you. Lots of people drank, and people only got caught when they brought alchohol back. If you get caught, you get sent home.

-The friends I made I know i'll have forever, i can't say enough good things about it!

wow thats awesome! but the curfew is still 11 right? :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

yep. not too bad. although there were always people who missed it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of food13 food13
IM GOING THEIR TOO!

Im from alberta...what about you guys?

All i need to do now is send my registration fee!

YAY IM GOING! (all tho i am worried about the food...)

Oh and just a heads up...im going to be spending my birthday over their! (so if i happen to become your friend you better get me good birthday present... im going to turn 17!) WOOO
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jenyouwin jenyouwin
I also went last year

FOOD- the food was mostly mediocre but some was absolutely awful
- you can buy stuff from the metro(I think it's called) which is the grocery store in the nearest mall
- I wouldn't reocmmend buying a case of water because it was always too hot to drink. spend $1.xx for a cold bottle in Chez alphonse in "desjardins" across the dorms building.

DRINKING - I never went to a bar (should have! I was afraid of getting ID'd) but lots of people did. A handful of people got kicked out because they were drunk upon return or had alcohol. something like that.

ACTIVITIES- mostly boring mandatory crap outside in the hot hot heat.
- optional weekend excursions/field trips are fun but costly (montreal, la ronde, rafting, herbertisme(sp?)
- I went to montreal, la ronde and rafting. I enjoyed rafting the most. the bus rides to MTL and La ronde were sooo long. the day I spent at La ronde I went on 5-6 rides for $90. Line-ups were crazy long, not to mention the heat. If you go, definitely go on the Goliath though.
- I spent $1300 =( not including airfare. I ate out a lot, went on a field trip every week and went shopping...eeek! thinking about it makes me sad.
- climbed up mt. ste anne, fireworks, went to a water park(where I got horribly sun burnt =_= for the first time)

NOTES- bring a lot of sunscreen. go to winners or soemthing because that stuff can get pretty pricey.
- i bought a bus pass for $50-60, but unlike the poster above, i hardly used it. waste of my money. it depends what you do.
- people hardly speak french there in the program. you get "white tickets" if you don't obey this rule. then u get in trouble and might have to write an essay explaining why you shuold be here. nobody took this rule too seriously. i spoke english 95% of the time. the other 5% when i was directly beside a monitor or teacher lol
- BUY OR BRING A FAN. you can find it in zellers in the 3rd mall (laurier) or canadian tire, which is a little further than laurier
- lots of people go to vieux quebec at night. the nightlife is pretty good
- bring cash because the stuff u pay to the school (deposit,etc.) is only accepted by cash
- it's humid there. be prepared. lots of thunderstorms too (STILL HUMID)

PM if u have other questions!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of food13 food13

@jenyouwin wrote
I also went last year

FOOD- the food was mostly mediocre but some was absolutely awful
- you can buy stuff from the metro(I think it's called) which is the grocery store in the nearest mall
- I wouldn't reocmmend buying a case of water because it was always too hot to drink. spend $1.xx for a cold bottle in Chez alphonse in "desjardins" across the dorms building.

DRINKING - I never went to a bar (should have! I was afraid of getting ID'd) but lots of people did. A handful of people got kicked out because they were drunk upon return or had alcohol. something like that.

ACTIVITIES- mostly boring mandatory crap outside in the hot hot heat.
- optional weekend excursions/field trips are fun but costly (montreal, la ronde, rafting, herbertisme(sp?)
- I went to montreal, la ronde and rafting. I enjoyed rafting the most. the bus rides to MTL and La ronde were sooo long. the day I spent at La ronde I went on 5-6 rides for $90. Line-ups were crazy long, not to mention the heat. If you go, definitely go on the Goliath though.
- I spent $1300 =( not including airfare. I ate out a lot, went on a field trip every week and went shopping...eeek! thinking about it makes me sad.
- climbed up mt. ste anne, fireworks, went to a water park(where I got horribly sun burnt =_= for the first time)

NOTES- bring a lot of sunscreen. go to winners or soemthing because that stuff can get pretty pricey.
- i bought a bus pass for $50-60, but unlike the poster above, i hardly used it. waste of my money. it depends what you do.
- people hardly speak french there in the program. you get "white tickets" if you don't obey this rule. then u get in trouble and might have to write an essay explaining why you shuold be here. nobody took this rule too seriously. i spoke english 95% of the time. the other 5% when i was directly beside a monitor or teacher lol
- BUY OR BRING A FAN. you can find it in zellers in the 3rd mall (laurier) or canadian tire, which is a little further than laurier
- lots of people go to vieux quebec at night. the nightlife is pretty good
- bring cash because the stuff u pay to the school (deposit,etc.) is only accepted by cash

PM if u have other questions!

OMG! i don't know whether to be happy or horrified!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^ it is what u make it!

i am the pickiest person on this planet lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of food13 food13

@jenyouwin wrote
^ it is what u make it!

That is SUCH a relief..i'm not that picky...so i'll probably be fine!

So i have a question about la ronde...i'm going to go their and i was wondering if we will be their for the whole day? Not only that but what about speaking French! The only reason i want to go is so that i will learn how to properly speak French!

...should i bring my iPod?...i will put French songs in it but still...is it really necessary?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@food13 wrote

@jenyouwin wrote
^ it is what u make it!

That is SUCH a relief..i'm not that picky...so i'll probably be fine!

So i have a question about la ronde...i'm going to go their and i was wondering if we will be their for the whole day? Not only that but what about speaking French! The only reason i want to go is so that i will learn how to properly speak French!

...should i bring my iPod?...i will put French songs in it but still...is it really necessary?

ya pretty much the whole day.

you will definitely get a lot out of the french if you try. (i on the other hand, did not) that said, you won't achieve overwhelming fluency though. for me, i was able to improve a lot on my listening skills but my writing didn't improve at all.

they say you're not supposed to listen to english music....but people do anyway. tbh you should be doing other stuff than listening to your ipod unless you're on the bus or something!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

What level of French do you guys have?

I've been in French immersion for five years.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo

@jenyouwin wrote

No doubt you're a Westerner.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of food13 food13

@kaloolah wrote
What level of French do you guys have?

I've been in French immersion for five years.

I have never been in French immersion, but i can talk in a basic French conversation.

Besides...theirs going to be tests on the first day so that we can be surrounded by the people that have the same level of French as us... Which i think is a wonderful idea

just another question... did any of you guys get a confirmation email from the institution telling you that you can buy your plane ticket...i sent my documents a week ago and i still haven't gotten the email...AHHH!

Oh and about La Ronde....do we get to spend the WHOLE day over their? Oh and who is going to go to it this summer?

AND ANOTHER QUESTION? For the people that are going to saint charles this summer, do you all want to go together on the airplane...im pretty sure it would give us a chance to get used to the summer and at least have people that we know...just a though

I CANT WAIT! (This will be the first time i will ever have a room ALL to my self!)

YAY!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

speaking french is really what you make it...if you want to speak french, you will learn. I was already fluent, so speaking french wasn't really a big deal to me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@food13 wrote

just another question... did any of you guys get a confirmation email from the institution telling you that you can buy your plane ticket...i sent my documents a week ago and i still haven't gotten the email...AHHH!

Same.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote

@jenyouwin wrote

No doubt you're a Westerner.

yup. vancouver born and raised
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of food13 food13
I FINALLY GOT THE EMAIL!

I was looking at airplane prices and aircanada seems to be pretty cheap right now...SO BUY YOUR TICKETS!

also, lets post what flight we are going to take...that way if people are going on the same flight they have a better chance of meeting each other...just a though!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of patrickstar patrickstar
i got accepted too :compress:
anyone leaving from toronto?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@patrickstar wrote
i got accepted too :compress:
anyone leaving from toronto?

My friend just got off the waitlist and she's from the GTA. However, she won't be going directly to TO to QC.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of food13 food13
I was just wondering if we are going to get any additional documents...for example, what we need to bring, how our stay will be like and info like that?

I dont think im going to bring a laptop...because their is no wireless internet...also....i wanna know what optional class i got into!

My first choice was the quebec excursion...

oh and is anyone else worried about the canada post strike AND the air canada strike?

I mean HONESTLY! Cant this all happen AFTER the summer?!?!
Was this helpful? Yes 0