yconic - Explore 2011: Jonquière
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Explore 2011: Jonquière

A photo of viramay viramay
I thought I'd make a thread for people who have been accepted into Jonquière for 2011, or have gone to Jonquière for Explore in the past, and would like to share their experiences :)

So for people who are going this year, which session are you all going for? And will you be staying in the residences or with a family?

I'm so excited for this summer!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
20 replies

A photo of kates2 kates2

@viramay wrote
I thought I'd make a thread for people who have been accepted into Jonquière for 2011, or have gone to Jonquière for Explore in the past, and would like to share their experiences :)

So for people who are going this year, which session are you all going for? And will you be staying in the residences or with a family?

Have you received a confirmation email from jonquiere after the payment of your deposit? I haven't heard anything from them even though I've already paid my deposit :s
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
i went last year! happy to answer any questions you have
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@kates2 wrote

@viramay wrote

Have you received a confirmation email from jonquiere after the payment of your deposit? I haven't heard anything from them even though I've already paid my deposit :s

I haven't paid my deposit yet, because I'm still not sure whether to choose residence or homestay.

Which one did you pick?

I really prefer the experience of living in residence, because it seems a lot more convenient and fun.

But I really need to improve my French, so I'm kind of leaning towards home stay. I heard that in residence, people tend to speak English more, whereas that's not the case with a family.

tgruber, since you went last year, which one did you pick?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Sierrahoskins Sierrahoskins
I got accepted into the summer program for jonquiere! I am really excited to go, but I dont want to quit my job for it so I'm just waiting for my boss to decide if I can get the time off work (I think it's going to be a yes!)

I think I'm gonna stay in res cause it'll be more fun and I think I would feel wierd staying in a home with an entire family I don't know. At least in res we'd all be about the same age.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I definitely think staying in res would be a lot more fun!

But wouldn't my French improve a lot more if I'm staying with a family?

Anyone else thinking about staying with a family? (or have done it in the past and would like to share their experiences?)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

it definitely depends on what you want to get out of the summer. if you're just going to learn french, definitely stay with a host family. people in res tended to speak english a lot because it's much easier to make friends. however, res is MUCH more social and convenient (i was there and LOVED it). it can be lonely if you're the only one in your host family, and a few of my friends disliked the people they lived with. it's also annoying to have to commute from your house every day, and if you have special dietary needs it might be hard to do in a family. that being said, i know a few people who LOVED their families and got really close with them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@tgruber wrote
it definitely depends on what you want to get out of the summer. if you're just going to learn french, definitely stay with a host family. people in res tended to speak english a lot because it's much easier to make friends. however, res is MUCH more social and convenient (i was there and LOVED it). it can be lonely if you're the only one in your host family, and a few of my friends disliked the people they lived with. it's also annoying to have to commute from your house every day, and if you have special dietary needs it might be hard to do in a family. that being said, i know a few people who LOVED their families and got really close with them.

does more than one person stay with the same host family?

& would you happen to know how commutes work? I can't drive, so unless the family gives me a ride, would I have to take public transport?

the reason why I'm still hesitating on choosing home stay is because, like you said, res would be so much more fun!

gah.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@viramay wrote

@tgruber wrote

does more than one person stay with the same host family?

& would you happen to know how commutes work? I can't drive, so unless the family gives me a ride, would I have to take public transport?

the reason why I'm still hesitating on choosing home stay is because, like you said, res would be so much more fun!

gah.

i had one friend who was alone, and a few others who had a few people with them..most likely you'll be with other people.
your family teaches you how to take the bus or train. sometimes you'll get lifts, but usually you're on your own.
also, a lot of the time, curfew is earlier in a host family, and you need to leave early to get home on time. some of my friends would have to leave like an hour before res curfew..
if you're worried about not learning french, there definitely were people who were committed to speaking french in res. it's hard, though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kates2 kates2
I heard back from them :) going to jonquire 5 weeks :D cant wait!! im so excited :3 I chose rez.. I feel like I will have more fun living at rez than with a host family. I'm not so strict about learning french, mainly just going for the experience :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of HuShang HuShang

@viramay wrote

@kates2 wrote

@viramay wrote

I haven't paid my deposit yet, because I'm still not sure whether to choose residence or homestay.

Which one did you pick?

I really prefer the experience of living in residence, because it seems a lot more convenient and fun.

But I really need to improve my French, so I'm kind of leaning towards home stay. I heard that in residence, people tend to speak English more, whereas that's not the case with a family.

tgruber, since you went last year, which one did you pick?

go res, we can speak french all you want, haha. jp
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iliketurtles iliketurtles
Accepted to Jonquiere for the 5 weeks in the summer :) Staying in res yay!
Also what are everyone's plans for getting there? I think my friends and I are all taking viarail but we'll be getting there on July 1st :(
Was this helpful? Yes 0

okay, I've decided I'm going to stay with a host family :)

I really need to improve my French :D

& I'm going to be flying to Jonquiere from Toronto. I was going to take the train, but the trip is just waaay too long!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

You're going from Toronto too? I am too haha what school?
my friends and I plan on taking the bus overnight (~9pm on june 30th ~ 5am july 1st) and taking the train to jonquiere on july 1st
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jihyen Jihyen
I'm leaving from New Brunswick!
I'll be staying with a host family, though res sounds much more fun!
I need to improve my French..
See you all there!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

yay, so I'm not going to be the only one not staying in res!

I would prefer res as well, but my French needs to improve!

& when are all of you getting to Jonquiere & when are you leaving? I know the program is from July 4 to August 5, but I'll be there July 2 and I'm not leaving until August 6 :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm getting there July 1st, and leaving August 7th (which might be too early/too late so I will ask them ahead of time)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of spicelatte spicelatte
I got accepted into Jonquiere too! (:
I'll be going sometime between June 31 - July 2.
So excited.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of patricev patricev
I was accepted a while ago for the Spring Session. I'm leaving tomorrow =) Have fun everyone!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of vanessaosborne58 vanessaosborne58
[size=7]I am going to jonquiere too,!! i am soo excited i cant wait to meet new people, the worst part is missing out on summer home and jobless, i think explore will be better off in the end,, i am staying at the residence and i cant waitt.!! i hope to see you guys there, i think this summer is going to be an awesome experience.!! I a, driving there with my sister and her boyffeind,, probably july 2nd.
[/size]
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Super Super

@vanessaosborne58 wrote
[size=7]I am going to jonquiere too,!! i am soo excited i cant wait to meet new people, the worst part is missing out on summer home and jobless, i think explore will be better off in the end,, i am staying at the residence and i cant waitt.!! i hope to see you guys there, i think this summer is going to be an awesome experience.!! I a, driving there with my sister and her boyffeind,, probably july 2nd.
[/size]

Finally someone who types with a font that is visible without a magnifier.

Anyways, I knew a friend who went to Jonquière last summer and she said it was great, especially staying in residence. I had to reject my acceptance last minute when I got in while on the waiting list because I already signed up for summer school. Have fun! :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0