yconic - Extra Cirricular's For Top Tier Business Programs
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Extra Cirricular's For Top Tier Business Programs

A photo of MightyJJ MightyJJ
Hey Guys! I was wondering what kind of extra curricular in particular do these top tier business programs look for. Do they look for many different extra cirriculars, or just a few but with big commitment. Also do the activities we list have to have been done when we were in high school or can I list activities I did before hand. I'm not sure if my extra cirricular's are good enough, and thats why i'm nervous :O
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of x711Li x711Li

@MightyJJ wrote
Hey Guys! I was wondering what kind of extra curricular in particular do these top tier business programs look for. Do they look for many different extra cirriculars, or just a few but with big commitment. Also do the activities we list have to have been done when we were in high school or can I list activities I did before hand. I'm not sure if my extra cirricular's are good enough, and thats why i'm nervous :O

Just for reference, top tier b-schools look for strong leadership experience. Not trying to boost, but I was accepted into the "top tier" schools, so hopefully you can use this as a reference for the future:

- Leader of two clubs (Robotics / Computer Science)
- Two jobs at the same time (On-call IT consultant for a golf club, web administrator of high school)
- Co-founded a tech start-up, closed now
- Three sport teams (Nordic Skiing / Cross-Country / Track & Field), placed 4th in regionals, Novice Division
- Web administrator for Queen's Commerce Class of 2014 website, YPSTalent Showcase and Imvision Photography Festival

Hopefully this helps, the more important aspect you should aim for is leading.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MINTOK MINTOK

@MightyJJ wrote

Queen's and Schulich will ask to list ECs only from the last 2 years, so what you did before high school will probably not work. Make sure to get leadership experince in your final year of high school (i.e. executive positions in 2-3 clubs). Sport teams and volunteering aregreat as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0