yconic - Extra Curricular Activities
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Extra Curricular Activities

A photo of StressOfLife StressOfLife
I did a quick search through the fourms for topics on EC's and found people are part of 5-6 clubs and volunteer at multiple locations, etc. I was just wondering how my EC's looked so far for applications by years end. (Currently Gr.12 and starting University for next year).

EC's:

soccer 3 years, (no team for 4th year...my last year)
part time job (selling electronics and communicating a lot with customers, will have a year experience by end of gr.12)
volunteered as a Teachers Assistant (for 40 hours over a couple of months)
planning for badminton this year

my avg in gr.11 was 93% and going to keep it the same this year (possibly above 95% for entrance scholarships)

I was just wondering if anyone could give me input if that should be enough to go for a Bachelor of Science at Western or UofT or McMaster or Queen's. I am not looking to get a bunch of scholarships besides entrance ones, just hoping for a good chance for acceptance since mine compared to others seem so little.
Thanks for the input.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
13 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I am a high school graduate returning for a 5th year and listen to me when I tell you this - They don't even LOOK at your extracurriculars!!!

I made this mistake last year when applying. I was involved in every single organization in and out of school and had 100+ community service hours. But they don't even look at that kind of stuff unless you're applying to a school where an interview is part of the process. They only look at your top 6 U/M courses and thats it! Just wanted to let you know from someone who has already gone through that.. don't worry about the EC's because they don't even look. I even called the schools and asked them about this and they admitted they only see numbers.

Oh, and I applied to McMaster, Queens and Western.

Hope this helps! Good Luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
You're saying you're not looking to get a bunch of scholarships, but if you could get a 95% average with the few ECs you have you could get quite a bit of money.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Rela Rela
You don't have to worry about your extracurriculars unless you're going into business.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Meridian Meridian
Major EC's are not required for admission to either Queens or Western science (don't know about U of T). Queens will ask you to write a personal experience submission, but what you have is fine to succeed at that.

A top six in the low 90's will get you into all 3 programs.

You only need the massive EC's for major scholarships (ie Western President's, Queen's Chancellors, TD, Loran) Your list is not sufficient to be considering those.

Keep doing the EC's for your own enjoyment reasons. Try to get your top six average up to 95% ($10K at Western).

Cheers
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kitkat1 kitkat1
Hi, so I am in a similar situation..im in grade 12 this year. I have the following EC's:
In-school: library vol (head vol-4yrs), math club-pres, newspaper (editor-in-chief), yearbook, environmental club-sec., Safe Schools-treas., model un, peer-tutoring; cross-country, badminton.
Out of school: youth cabinet, youth advisory group, food bank, hospital, community library vol (4yrs), tutoring/mentoring at a local elementary.
co-op at a hospital over the summer, u of t enrichment porgram attendee.
My gr 11 avg was 94...are these ECs worth a shot for TD, Loran, etc?
Also, I need advice on whether I should work on scholarship apps (they do req alot of time), or more towards on studies- as marks will atleast confirm an entrance scholarship?
Please give advice based on your experience, any suggestions welcome!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

If you can hold a 94% ave, that will usually give you acceptance to your first choice school/program. If you already know for sure what school that is, then focus on that. Don't worry about 8 different back up plans. 94% usually puts you in the running for major entrance awards. Check the specific school. Example, Western has a $10K automatic if you can hit 95%. MAC has very little offered automatically. McGill has alot of large entrance scholarships. Determine what the threshold is at the school you want to go to.

Your EC's show content & breath which are consistent with what would get you to the interviews for major awards. Alot depends on what you really did in each activity. You cannot just list "foodbank". You need to detail (in one sentence) what you did that shows leadership and involvement more than just showing up. If 75% of your EC's have an aspect that shows you drove some aspect of it, you have a good shot.

The major award interviews really look for a well rounded person that will be a future leader (marks, school leadership, outside leadership, commitment, passion). If you are going to apply and to have a good shot, you should also consider focusing on something in your grade 12 year that involves a significant commitment demonstrating leadership. Be able to point to that one item. Relay for Life or 30 hour famine chairperson at your school is a good example. Award interviews also look for things that are new and different. Think if you can bring something new to your school or community to fill a need.

Scholarship apps do require alot of work. Makes sense if someone is going to invest $40K-70K in you.

@kitkat1 wrote
Hi, so I am in a similar situation..im in grade 12 this year. I have the following EC's:
In-school: library vol (head vol-4yrs), math club-pres, newspaper (editor-in-chief), yearbook, environmental club-sec., Safe Schools-treas., model un, peer-tutoring; cross-country, badminton.
Out of school: youth cabinet, youth advisory group, food bank, hospital, community library vol (4yrs), tutoring/mentoring at a local elementary.
co-op at a hospital over the summer, u of t enrichment porgram attendee.
My gr 11 avg was 94...are these ECs worth a shot for TD, Loran, etc?
Also, I need advice on whether I should work on scholarship apps (they do req alot of time), or more towards on studies- as marks will atleast confirm an entrance scholarship?
Please give advice based on your experience, any suggestions welcome!

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of NBstudent NBstudent

@StressOfLife wrote
I did a quick search through the fourms for topics on EC's and found people are part of 5-6 clubs and volunteer at multiple locations, etc. I was just wondering how my EC's looked so far for applications by years end. (Currently Gr.12 and starting University for next year).

EC's:

soccer 3 years, (no team for 4th year...my last year)
part time job (selling electronics and communicating a lot with customers, will have a year experience by end of gr.12)
volunteered as a Teachers Assistant (for 40 hours over a couple of months)
planning for badminton this year

my avg in gr.11 was 93% and going to keep it the same this year (possibly above 95% for entrance scholarships)

I was just wondering if anyone could give me input if that should be enough to go for a Bachelor of Science at Western or UofT or McMaster or Queen's. I am not looking to get a bunch of scholarships besides entrance ones, just hoping for a good chance for acceptance since mine compared to others seem so little.
Thanks for the input.

Based on what has been said in these posts, apparently EC's aren't important for getting into the college/university of your choice, but they are important for a lot of scholarships. When I was gratuating from High School I applied for the entrance scholarship for my college and a summary of all my EC's and volunteer work was required from the last 3-4 years. I think that winning that scholarship was not just because of my high marks, but mainly due to my extensive extracurricular involvement involvement and volunteer work.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ForeverPi ForeverPi
How do ppl check to see if you're lying about your ECs or not anyways?

For volunteering outside of school, I guess you would have a track sheet with the employer's(?) signature. But for inside of school, you can say that you've participated in x clubs and teams and the ppl won't know that it's all a lie.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
^ Reference letters. And sometimes they'll ask for contact info
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ForeverPi ForeverPi
But reference letters are usually from only one or two places you've done volunteering/ECs

I meant like if the applicant has volunteered in over 10 different places, and participated in over 10 different ECs. How can the ppl possibly check all of that?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Typically your referees have an idea of what other things you are involved in. Besides, you're not going to be meaningfully involved in 10 different ECs, and you are likely going to choose the most meaningful activities to get references from.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LRooke LRooke
Personal integrity.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@LRooke wrote
Personal integrity.

I second that...

Major award applications usually require either a reference letter or in some cases nomination from your school Principle or Guidance. One I had even specifically required a guidance sig that the EC list was correct (Check # 1).

Many major awards include an interview process where they will review your involvement. The interviewers are pretty bright people (Check #2).

They do call references and in one of my cases contacted the organization directly where I did not include a reference for(Check #3).
Was this helpful? Yes 0